Canadian Coast Guard Cessna 337

Well. Finished one of my Aurora kit restorations. This one is the 1/72nd Cessna 337 as a Canadian Coast Guard operated example. Decals by JBOT. The boom stripes, de icer boots and flap, aileron elevator  'hinge lines' are all from my stock of decal stripes.  The red paint is Humbrol Crimson with a dash of red t match the deep red of the stripe decals. Not a lot of wrok involved in doing this rebuild, just Mr Muscle oven cleaner for paint stripping a little repair and rebuild.

First a couple images of the rebuild in progress...

uBaOjs.jpg
CEmckV.jpg
EwwmZK.jpg
W2oxMQ.jpg

And the finished article....

8RVwTg.jpg
DdP0rg.jpg

The fine black lines to the control surfaces are to depict the hinge points as the kit recessed lines were very feint and lost under the pain. With the help of my Airfix O-2 and 1/72nd scale planes direct from Cessna many years ago that I found in my acive of 'stuff' I was able to place te decals reasonably accurately. Could do a bit more  though.
zQCH9t.jpg

Also, some detail refinements could or should have been added like the exhausts and vents around the lower engine areas etc. But As I often say, less is more !
kxWkRF.jpg
iJAddU.jpg
yrGbrc.jpg
m19WKn.jpg

PLus a little teaser for another Cessna dusted down to be finished....

K6IIXD.jpg

Monogram 1/41st scale Cessna Model 180, Done the pilot chappie  but more on this to come when completed........

• Like 24

I really like this - The Cessna is a wonderful airplane that doesn't get much love - you've done a great job on this - Looking forward to seeing the 180 when complete... Also - I'm interested in getting a Cessna 172 and a piper Cherokee kit - can you recommend a brand name to look out for? 

Edited by Kitchen Modeller
Added question
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

I really like this - The Cessna is a wonderful airplane that doesn't get much love - you've done a great job on this - Looking forward to seeing the 180 when complete... Also - I'm interested in getting a Cessna 172 and a piper Cherokee kit - can you recommend a brand name to look out for? 

Thanks for comments.

K M  : As for Cessna 172 kits in 1/72nd I only know of the Eidai one that may have been issued under other brands. Also among the Eidai range were Beech V35 Fuji FA200 Subaru, Cessna 337. There might have been a couple others.  Very hard to track these down now .  For the Cherokee, again, I only know of the Aurora 1/72nd kit which was the fixed undercart PA-28-140 variant and the Airfix one which was the PA28R Arrow a nice kit. 

Good luck on your search for these!

On 17/10/2018 at 02:16, fubar57 said:

Check out Minicraft for 1:48. They made a Cessna 150 and 172 that I recall. Piper Cherokee as well. They may have made a few other civilian aircraft

Those were formerly Academy and someone before them. Also in the range was the PA-18 Super Cub and Beech V35.  Newer versions of the latter by Minicraft have been the standard fin Bonanza and upcoming a T-34. All using the same wing. Trouble is under the Minicraft tag they are now quite expensive sadly.

I would like to see more to 1/72nd but its unlikely nowadays,  far too many military subjects.

Getting back to my Aurora restorations, the Jet Commander and Aztec will be next.

Very nice Paul. I have always been fascinated by the 337 , probably because it is so different. We used to hanger one at Manston years ago and it was very nice indeed. There is a v tail Bonanza that flies to and fro Europe overhead here quite regularly with a radar pod on one of the wing leading edges. Very inspiring build Paul and thanks for sharing. 

Keith.