1/144 Aerolineas Argentinas 737-800

I'd like to say I'm back....but I have the feeling I'm just making a guest appearance.....

Zvezda 737-800 kit finished with 8aDecs decals :

HULnX1z.jpg

0OAergUl.jpg

Standard 4 x4 walkaround :

tGIoWXll.jpg

jFt2D5sl.jpg

1l5E1edl.jpg

HN41KSml.jpg

...and here it is with the original :

8ZewNiUh.jpg

I think AA have done a pretty good job with the new markings  :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Thanks for looking - Mike

t1faZdNh.jpg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 4

Hi Mike.

That's an absolute winner in my book.  Haven't seen the new livery before but it looks absolutely stunning.

As a matter of interest, how did you find the Zvezda kit?  I have one in the stash and felt that the cockpit glazed areas looked a bit on the narrow side. Yours however, look to be spot on with those decals.

I'll drop you a PM over the next couple of days if that's okay.

Chris.

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

This is gorgeous! It's quite a nice livery and your crisp finish really shows it off well. The Zvezda kit looks really nice, I like that they've got the stance just right, the Revell has it's tail end too high off the ground.

3 hours ago, stringbag said:

I have one in the stash

Like Chris I've got one in the stash which I keep thinking about starting.

Shall we have a race to see who can finish first?:tease::rofl2:

How were the 8aDecs?

Hopefully this is more than a guest appearance Mike, we need more airliners of this quality in RFI, although just lately there have been quite a few new ones!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Nice pair!

What blue did you use for the attractive AA scheme or did you mix'n'match to the tail decal? I like 8a decals, Jon offers some good schemes.

My Zvezda 737 (or rather, one from my increasingly large stash of them..) had a warped outer left wing that I disastrously tried to reshape and made it worse, so ending our participation in the 737STGB earlier this year. Seeing yours, has given me a renewed desire to drag it over the finish line!

Jeff

• Like 1

Good to see you back particularly with such a splendid model. 

I have a partially built Zvezda 738 which I really must crack on with now that you’ve inspired me. I’ve had a couple of bad experiences with 8a decals (due to fit problems rather than print quality) and I had rather sworn off them but I might reconsider after seeing your model. As Jeff says they offer some good schemes.

Dave G

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skodadriver said:

..... I’ve had a couple of bad experiences with 8a decals (due to fit problems rather than print quality) and I had rather sworn off them but I might reconsider after seeing your model. As Jeff says they offer some good schemes.

Dave G

Agree very much Dave. I've had a few times where wrap-around schemes have just been impossible to fit the kit, either too big or short. Now I'm just sticking to simpler decal schemes.

Jeff

• Like 1

That look s so good , great decal choice . That Aerolineas Argentinas scheme is stunning  and like the 70's style AA colours 737 for comparison which is also very good

• Like 1

On 10/16/2018 at 7:39 PM, stringbag said:

I have one in the stash and felt that the cockpit glazed areas looked a bit on the narrow side. Yours however, look to be spot on with those decals.

Hi Chris - I'm afraid that the build took far too long, and at the end I was really struggling to finish it off. With regards to the cockpit glazing, it was bit on the narrow side, but nothing that couldn't be fixed with superglue and 240 grit sandpaper. I did have issues with the paintwork, but that was because I've got into a bad habit of using Gunze gloss white for the fuselage. It seemed to compete with the Xtracolor to see who could dry the slowest. The masking worked out better than I could have hoped for and....

On 10/16/2018 at 11:01 PM, Turbofan said:

How were the 8aDecs?

....I didn't have an issue with the decals. They were pretty robust and included "photo-real" windows. Having said that, I'm....

On 10/17/2018 at 10:38 AM, pinky coffeeboat said:

I've had a few times where wrap-around schemes have just been impossible to fit the kit, either too big or short.

...pretty disturbed to read about Jeff's experiences as I have a couple of the wrap-around schemes to do !

On 10/17/2018 at 8:46 AM, pinky coffeeboat said:

What blue did you use for the attractive AA scheme or did you mix'n'match to the tail decal?

I used the (Xtracolor) KLM blue that was recommended by 8aDecs. Unfortunately, they didn't specify which KLM blue, so after a bit of colour-matching with the decals, I ended up using X312 KLM New Bright blue instead of X302 KLM Light Blue.

Many thanks for the generous comments - much appreciated.

mike

P.S. I should come clean and admit that I missed the wing landing-lights ! Thanks to the eagle-eyed BMer who spotted it. I'd like to think it was a mistake made once....but I just know that it won't be  😀

• Like 1

Good to see you back with a bang Mike!

That is gorgeous, it looks so much better than the Revell offering, Like others, I'v egot one in the stash waiting its turn, maybe it needs to go up the priority list now.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

WOW thats an absolute beauty.

AAs new scheme is very attractive and a nice diversion from the usual all-whites that goes with todays airlines...

Awesome paintjob you have achieved.Top marks all around

• Like 1