Harrier in private hands

PZRGREN

47 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

My hat off to this guy. WoW!!

Just in passing, can someone remind me why British forces abandoned these, and gambled everything on the US thingy?

Because the British government would rather waste 95 billion quid (and counting) on a new version of Trident than spend a few bob on maintaining a battle-proven, highly effective close-support aircraft until the F-35 "Super Turkey" can stumble into service. 

Still, politicians, eh? Gotta love them....

Chris. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

One of my all time favorite aircraft and a superb piece of British engineering.

I remember cutting my first picture of it out from the back of a  cereal (cornflakes?) packet back in the '60s. The 2nd pic was a Chieftain tank.

• Like 2

I don`t think that the Harrier was the first foreign aircraft on US inventory since WW1,......... there have been quite a few really,..... Spitfire, Mosquito, Beaufighter, plenty of 2nd line stuff and then post war there was the Canberra/ B-57 too,.... and that is just off the top of my head,...... also Sherpa, C-27 etc.

Nice to see a SHAR still doing its thing!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/19/2018 at 11:55 PM, rob Lyttle said:

My hat off to this guy. WoW!!

Just in passing, can someone remind me why British forces abandoned these, and gambled everything on the US thingy?

Simple answer is that the Government of the day decided that drastic cuts were needed; it was either the Harrier or Tornado. 

Art Nalls has the world's only airworthy Harrier F/A.2,but Culdrose has these:

Apparently the engines are limited with respect to the RPM they can run to.

Please also note the script on the forward nozzle fairing and the lack of seat belts and oxygen masks on the "drivers".

I believe the Sea harries were retired from service prematurely because the government of the time were unwilling to spend

money on a required MLU for them.

Edited by DaveWilko
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

OMG, even on my phone the noise is piercing. I connected it to my TV and cranked up the volume. My boys ran into the room to find out what was going on. The sound had actually penetrated the headphones  they wear when on their video games and that was in the back room.

Sadly they'll never hear the real thing unless we go to Culdrose or to the States, actually that's an idea!

Great video.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/10/2019 at 7:40 PM, DaveWilko said:

Art Nalls has the world's only airworthy Harrier F/A.2,but Culdrose has these:

Apparently the engines are limited with respect to the RPM they can run to.

Please also note the script on the forward nozzle fairing and the lack of seat belts and oxygen masks on the "drivers".

I believe the Sea harries were retired from service prematurely because the government of the time were unwilling to spend

money on a required MLU for them.

And the pegasus 106* was not really up to the hot and or high conditions.....later variants as fitted to GRs wouldnt fit inside the airframe

• Like 1