TAMIYA KAWASAKI H2R (FINISHED)

D1fuN0

Afternoon Chaps :bye:

First time I saw a H2R i thought, that is the evilest looking bike I have ever seen...

As soon as Tamiya announced they were releasing one, It was over the moon and I had to have one... (ok, its now three, but who's counting :) )

I've actually been building this over the last couple of months, so this is sort of a catch up post 

This is a monster of a kit! It is extremely well detailed, goes together like a dream.

The original comes in a polished chrome black finish, which to be honest I don't like and more than likely, a finish like that I would stuff up and it would go back in the box. 

Okay then, first off while you are sitting having a coffee, drill out the disc brakes.

(you will notice all the parts are primed on the runners, just the way I do it)

resized_2ef3a425-3718-43aa-be09-81a50899

Once that was out of the way time to start building. 

Frame and engine together

resized_d9f3d948-0449-4c9c-8fe8-79238e90

I know it doesn't look like it from my photos, but I have used 5 types of black on the engine & frame for a bit of variety, Gloss, Matt, Semi Gloss, Rubber and Nato Black.

Frame has been done in Tamiya TS 94 Metallic Grey, covered with Semi Gloss Clear.

Next up, rear wheel on and exhaust getting test fitted 

resized_b25c4f53-b188-4094-87ad-a32eb03b

I also added a couple of tensioners to the exhaust for giggles :) 

resized_8f8ff5d7-321f-4574-a6a6-ffc91db9

And that is basically where things came to a heaching scralt in the works because I was waiting for this to arrive...

resized_b520846c-aa68-4b31-badb-ac8d2b03

So things were quiet for about two months until the decals arrived....

Now, decals are not my strong point, and I didn't really quite realise what I was getting into here... The whole cowling, air intake and intake pipe to the super charger are CF decals, with 48 decals going on the cowling alone... 

resized_5080ea09-7f43-4160-b739-09ca5f0c

Once that was done I took a bit of a breather. I wasn't 100% sure on the colour I wanted to do, because i didn't think it would suit the bike, but in reality it could really be only one colour... :) 

resized_6b05a5e2-fea2-4594-9487-62a815a0

And all together...

resized_600e65d9-3551-4097-8d26-22df034d

The day finally arrived where I had to put my big boy pants on, and start on the cowling. I took it slow and steady, no rush at all and it eventually took 3 weeks of decalling... 

I made a boob on the right wing, but managed to fix it and everything has been coated in 2 coats of Tamiya Clear. 

resized_5bcd9a5e-09cb-42ed-985e-8994d5fe

And this is where I am at the moment.

resized_02ec97bc-9472-4e3c-b9cf-4cebd0ce

I fitted the cowling just to see what it looks like, and noticed that you don't need to do the CF decals inside the cowling because you cant see them, just the ones underneath the windscreen surround. Be very careful when decaling the wings on the side fairing, they are extremely fragile. The little metal Yamaha badge on the front didn't want to stick either so I just used a dab of clear to stick it down and hope the clear varnish holds it :)

Still a bit to go, but on we plod :) 

Edited by MAD STEVE
  • Like 8

14 hours ago, MAD STEVE said:

Afternoon Chaps :bye:

The day finally arrived where I had to put my big boy pants on, and start on the cowling. I took it slow and steady, no rush at all and it eventually took 3 weeks of decalling... 

I made a boob on the right wing, but managed to fix it and everything has been coated in 2 coats of Tamiya Clear. 

resized_5bcd9a5e-09cb-42ed-985e-8994d5fe

Still a bit to go, but on we plod :) 

you could turn this into a Decepticon. nice work.

Edited by spoly
  • Like 1