RAF Tomahawk seat colour

Smithy

Must be Tomahawk day today as I see there's another question about RAF Tomahawks just popped up!

I'm gearing up to get started on the Airfix 1/72 Tomahawk IIb whilst I wait for the paint to cure on my Spit IIa but had a small question about the seat which hopefully someone here can help with. I'll be making mine as Duke's one with 112 Sqn and just wanted to know what the colour was for the seat.

Should it be bare metal or painted the same as the interior? I've had a poke around but couldn't find anything definitive.

Thanks,

Tim

On 10/16/2018 at 3:00 AM, Smithy said:

Must be Tomahawk day today as I see there's another question about RAF Tomahawks just popped up!

I'm gearing up to get started on the Airfix 1/72 Tomahawk IIb whilst I wait for the paint to cure on my Spit IIa but had a small question about the seat which hopefully someone here can help with. I'll be making mine as Duke's one with 112 Sqn and just wanted to know what the colour was for the seat.

Should it be bare metal or painted the same as the interior? I've had a poke around but couldn't find anything definitive.

Thanks,

Tim

Color photo of a Tomahawk  under construction see the dark green seat on the left wing..the squareback seats in the Tomahawk are the same seats used in export Harvard's and Yales..(also the same seat in early Raf Mustangs and  Buffaloes but thoses seem to be silver) .if look over on warbird exchange you can see modern color pictures of these same seats from Harvards and Yales in this same kind of dark green

The squarebackseat seemed to be a generic design for US export aircraft that was developed to fit both British seat pack parachutes and French backpack parachutes systems

note the seat does not match the cockpit color which was a dupont variation of RAF cockpit green ( ive seen recovered Tomahawks cockpit parts so I know what color it was and its not the same as US P40..)P-40BorCAssembly001a_zpsfx2lcfat.jpg

Edited by HBBates
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1