Pop Pop’s B17 (SB-17, 1/72nd)

Graham77

Morning all, here is my entry to the B17 GB. It’s Academy’s SB 17 kit (with a box that opens correctly requiring no modification😉)

43532058610_1a7210d969_b.jpg

As you can see I shall be improving the wheels with the assistance of Eduard and also using a slightly stronger undercarriage courtesy of Scale Aircraft Conversions, apart from that though it’ll be all Academy’s finest plastic. I’ll do some shots of that as I build it rather than one large one here. So what was the SB17 and who is Pop Pop? Firstly Academy sum up the SB17 quite nicely on the instructions

44433825515_f7ef160f84_b.jpg

Onto Pop Pop, well he is my Wife’s Grandad and towards the end of WW2 he joined the Army Air Force as a pilot and started flying the PT 17, no sooner had he started the war in Europe finished and so the requirement for pilots reduced and he was re-trained as a radio operator/waist gunner on the B17 and as part of this he got to float around in the sea waiting for these boats to be dropped for training and testing as the system was developed. Alas before he was signed off operationally the war in the Pacific finished and he spent his whole time training in the states. At the time he was upset like the rest of his course, looking back he reckons he had one lucky escape. He talks fondly about the B17 and the PT17. For his 85th Birthday he got to fly in one again at Fantasy of Flight near Orlando, not to far from where he now lives. A while back I built him a PT 17 in the old Army colours he remembered and he has it on a wooden pole next to his TV, not too sure how to get this from Merry Old England (as he loves to call it) but that’s a problem for another day! I’ll fish out some photos of him in the Stearman for later on in the build, until then looking forward to getting started on this beauty!

Cheers for now

Graham

• Like 11

It has the makings of a whole GB, forget what the model is it just can’t be an end opening box😂.

Here are a couple of pics of Pop Pop, a sprightly mid 90’s gent with my 2 boys, in the front seat of a Stearman and his little PT17

44445618065_2661fc880e_b.jpg

44445618215_55095883bd_b.jpg

44636041044_91ef6c2817_b.jpg

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got stuck in to this build and got started with the traditional B17 starting sections. Cockpit, navigator station, wings and Lifeboat. Here is the boat and the sub sections.

45758296922_ea0f7d157d_b.jpg

The sub sub assemblies ready for priming and painting before assembly

30867929057_62a55cf595_b.jpg

Primed, ready for a test fit and then painting and some details depending on what you can see (I’ll definitely be building another B17 in the future but with this one time is of the essence and I’m going to spend my time on the bits you can see)

30867929567_d01529d917_b.jpg

That is it for now, hopefully a couple of nights of painting and we should then be able to close up the fuselage and turn my attention to the undercarriage and wings! (I nearly forgot all the windows to fit and mask🤯)

cheers for now

Graham

• Like 5

Watching with interest. I don't recall seeing many of that version modelled.

Don't forget to correct the dihedral on the Academy kit - there's far too much. This is my Airfix Re-box of the Acedemy kit. I can't recall how thick the shim was that I added to the top of the wing root, but without it, the incorrect dihedral makes the model look ridiculous.

fort1.jpg

fort10.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks for that top tip, I’ll start having a look at that once I get this closed up. I think I have a 3 view drawing of the B17 somewhere.......or I’ll google another build and see what they did to correct it🤫.

edited to say google got the answer in 15secs...looks like a 10 thou shim and a tweak to the undercarriage to make it straight with the new lesser dihedral (which should be straight forward with the metal gear I’m planning to use🤞. BTW lovely build of a great restoration project!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The fuselage is closed up with all the blanks and glazing in place (except the nose)

45276581684_9d319f45ac_b.jpg

Before the nose goes on a quick peak inside, I added a search map and some papers to the tables to busy it up a bit, then realised it’ll all be hidden.

45276581824_bebf88e037_b.jpg

Next up I think I’ll get the glazing on and masked before a coat of primer and a clean up of the fuselage before moving on to the wings.

Cheers for now

Graham

• Like 6

Glad to see your progress! Though I know nothing about Pop Pop´s SB, I think the chin mg-turret controls could and should be removed (and saved or sent to someone needing it for his/hers Revell B-17G that lacks it completely :whistle:). The same of course applies to bomb sight too. According to a review of the kit, Academy instructions aren´t quite accurate about the SB-versions differences to regular G:s, unfortunately. But removing them would also open the view to the nose compartment nicely! V-P 

On 11/23/2018 at 10:37 AM, vppelt68 said:

Glad to see your progress! Though I know nothing about Pop Pop´s SB, I think the chin mg-turret controls could and should be removed (and saved or sent to someone needing it for his/hers Revell B-17G that lacks it completely :whistle:). The same of course applies to bomb sight too. According to a review of the kit, Academy instructions aren´t quite accurate about the SB-versions differences to regular G:s, unfortunately. But removing them would also open the view to the nose compartment nicely! V-P 

Will remove and forward if you PM your address😉. Have to confess there is a fair bit of artistic licence going on with this as Pop Pop spent most of his training as a waist gunner and radio operator, his SB dealings were predominantly water based. Ie bobbing in the sea waiting for the lifeboat to parachute down. However all his good B17 stories involved those training sessions😉.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Long time since I posted but progress has been made. First up the wings were adjusted and attached, the seams sorted out and then the lost panel lines rescribed back in.

46306458952_943d9f6f7a_b.jpg

Then the sun came out so it was time for some primer, sanding, primer and then some colour

45444902435_f63a567ac8_b.jpg

First up the yellow, then masked it and added the silver and unveiled to get my first look at what is becoming one of my favourites this year.

44720673700_6da4161a5f_b.jpg

45624393945_206fbb1b88_b.jpg

45799161894_608fda1e9d_b.jpg

Next up is adding the rest of the details that need painting, anti glare strips etc, the engines and the cowling, then it’ll be time for gloss and decals! 👍. But that’ll be a job for another year!

Thank you for looking, have a great New Years and I’ll see you in 2019 to finish this off!

Cheers

Graham

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Decals and props ready for varnish and some weathering....it’s going to be tight but should get it finished in time.

31766225997_16e007df5b_b.jpg

45979472895_80e4b4aa06_b.jpg

Hopefully the next ones will be nearly finished...... I guess this variant traditionally followed behind the rest so seems apt it’s one of the last to finish😀.

Have a good weekend

Graham

• Like 6

First up the scary and then rewarding weathering process

33049364408_a2639688fb_b.jpg

33049364278_2be1ef8a82_b.jpg

Then it was just the aerials and lifeboat to attach and she was ready to rescue the stragglers

46949016471_655c3541d9_b.jpg

46224397774_e56008064b_b.jpg

46034957385_8342d79336_b.jpg

Now to get a couple of good shots for the gallery!

Cheers for the comments and help along the way, this has been a lot of fun

• Like 6