Typhoon MN527 and other 263 squadron examples

rossm

I was looking for examples of 263 Squadron Typhoons around D-Day online (being away from my 2TAF books) and found this: https://www.absa3945.com/Pertes Bretagne/Cotes Armor/3 juillet 44/stark.html - does anyone know if there is a photo anywhere to back it up? I thought the black spinner came in on 1st Jan 1945 and I'm not sure about the 4 blade prop..................

I know the serial is correct for the date and the incident as confirmed by @Chris Thomas on BM - post 54 here https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25009-a-falaise-gap-tiffie/&page=3&tab=comments#comment-286558

Getting serials for 263 Typhoons in this period ain't easy 'cos the ORB does not list serials, nor codes, just pilots names!

Basically I want to use the 1/72 Airfix kit with as few modifications as possible and end up with a 263 Typhoon in the period June to mid July (up to 12th) 1944 when they were based at Harrowbeer then Bolt Head

• Like 1

Hi

from memory i have only seen a few photos of 263 tiffies at h'beer & bolt head

only one with stripes

one here at bolt head 

Hawker Typhoon (Image Ref: A06018G)

and believed to be the typhoon that hit the yelverton church tower 

typhoon%20lge.jpg 

decals for HE-P but in march 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72239 

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry

Thanks for those Jerry. I think your first photo has full D-Day stripes, possibly converted from the underwing Typhoon recognition stripes - there's a thread which covers that on BM somewhere which I must find. The ORB states the first RP attack by the squadron was on 6th June although some practices are noted earlier in June so the date is unlikely to be earlier. When I have an idle moment I might try cross-checking the pilot's names (in the caption on flickr) vs the ORB to see if anything definite emerges.

The spinner colour does look as if it matches the prop blades so maybe the drawing of MN527 is correct?

Found the previous Typhoon thread I was looking for https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/22894-typhoon-tp-f-198-squadron-if-fate-decrees/ and post 17 from Chris Thomas makes a black spinner a distinct possibility.

Looks like I'm going with the MN527 drawing for colours and markings with additional guidance from Jerry's first photo but I'm still not sure about 3 or 4 blade prop and I'm assuming not Tempest tailplanes.

Hi Ross

Ive never seen photos of 263 Sqn at Harrowbeer or Bolt Head, other than the ones posted by Jerry.  The 263 Sqn group is the only Typhoon photo I have seen where the aircraft is fitted with the 25lb anti shipping RP heads.

I had access to Pinkie's log and photo album; no help there I'm afraid. I think the French profile is probably fiction, but probably pretty accurate except for one or two details on the Typhoon.  MN527 could well have had a 4-blader - it was in the range where Typhoons had the large tailplane but most still had a 3 blade prop due shortage of oil seals for the 4-blader.  As a flt commander Pinkie would have a priority.

The '2ndTAF' book would not help as 263 did not join it until it left Bolt Head - it was under 10 Group ADGB.  Next stop was Hurn and I do have some notes made by a spotter there.  He recorded HE-R MN139 with a black spinner, but other B Flight aircraft had blue spinners - S/MN295, U/R8923 and V/MN407.  So it seems HE-X may have been blue too.  Don't ask me what shade ...

CT

22 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

Hi Ross

Ive never seen photos of 263 Sqn at Harrowbeer or Bolt Head, other than the ones posted by Jerry.  The 263 Sqn group is the only Typhoon photo I have seen where the aircraft is fitted with the 25lb anti shipping RP heads.

I had access to Pinkie's log and photo album; no help there I'm afraid. I think the French profile is probably fiction, but probably pretty accurate except for one or two details on the Typhoon.  MN527 could well have had a 4-blader - it was in the range where Typhoons had the large tailplane but most still had a 3 blade prop due shortage of oil seals for the 4-blader.  As a flt commander Pinkie would have a priority.

The '2ndTAF' book would not help as 263 did not join it until it left Bolt Head - it was under 10 Group ADGB.  Next stop was Hurn and I do have some notes made by a spotter there.  He recorded HE-R MN139 with a black spinner, but other B Flight aircraft had blue spinners - S/MN295, U/R8923 and V/MN407.  So it seems HE-X may have been blue too.  Don't ask me what shade ...

CT

Thanks, Chris. At least no-one can contradict my model when it is finished!

25lb rockets are noted in the 263 ORB, not as frequently as 60lb though. e.g.  on 17th June, "These twelve a/c with 25 pound R.P. A.P sunk the L97 Passenger Packet of 1000 tons and probably sunk a T.L.C. Surfat 263/54".

Also of note, on 27th June, "First op with 4 R/P and 2 L/R tanks.".