1/48th Revell Beaufighter Mk.X, 404 Sqn RCAF, 1944.

Hiya Folks,

Here is my attempt at the new 1/48th scale Revell Beaufighter kit,.... not exactly a shake and bake like the Tamiya kit,.... but to my eye it looks a bit more accurate, especially around the cockpit. For anybody interested, here is my WIP;

The model was brush painted using mostly Polly Scale acrylic paints and the decals came from Aviaeology and were excellent to use, as were the highly detailed instructions. The rockets and the box in front of the windscreen which directed air to keep this clear came from Tamiya kit spares, while the strike camera protrusion on the nose was made from drilled out sprue and the antennae on the nose and top of the fuselage are piano wire. For those wondering about the brick red coloured areas, strips of fabric were doped along the wing leading edge fairings to stop screws from shaking loose when the cannons were fired while others were used to cover the cannon ports and the dinghy release hatch too. 

Here is the model;

DSCF4993_NEW_NEWDSCF4996_NEW_NEWDSCF5016_NEWDSCF5012_NEWDSCF5014DSCF5011_NEWDSCF5005_NEWDSCF5009_NEWDSCF5003_NEWDSCF5000_NEWDSCF5001_NEWDSCF4995_NEWDSCF5010_NEW

And,.......

Here is the same aircraft depicted later in its service life built in 1/72nd scale using the Airfix kit;

DSCF6061

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 56

Perfect capture of the brute look of the thing.

Such a neat job, and the addition of the Airfix underlines the point - you don't have to break the bank to find a nice kit!

Great work 👍

• Like 1

Realy Great Beaufighter Tony !!

So, now I know that I can buy a Revell Beau !

You really did a brilliant job and an unusual subjet, Banff wing I presume ?

Congratulations !!

Sincerely

CC

• Like 1

On 10/16/2018 at 4:22 PM, corsaircorp said:

Realy Great Beaufighter Tony !!

So, now I know that I can buy a Revell Beau !

You really did a brilliant job and an unusual subjet, Banff wing I presume ?

Congratulations !!

Sincerely

CC

Thanks CC,....... yes they were at Banff,.... then moved to Dallachy,.... here is a great write up on 404 Sqn RCAF by our friend Terry Higgins;

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/346/Buffalo-Soldier.aspx

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Cracking Beau - done to a turn!

Pete

3 minutes ago, camper1 said:

Hi Tony

Nice to see it finished at last and looking so good.

After the problems you had with  it I thought it may have joined your shelf of doom for a while.

Ian

Cheers Fella`s,...... no Ian I wasn`t going to let it beat me, plus you know how much I like Beau`s! I did forget to add a couple of antennae,.... but hey I can live with that!

All the best

Tony 

• 2 years later...
On 10/20/2018 at 2:43 PM, Neil.C said:

Beautiful job Tony.

Love the invasion stripes - they look great. 

Thanks Neil,.... I usually hate painting them,.... but they really do make this scheme.