A-6E tram intruder, 1/48, desert storm

Hewy

I'm going to build the hobbyboss A-6E intruder, I'll be building it a a tram version that took part in operation desert storm with the tan and sand scheme, I've got  2 aires gruea-7 seats and eduard  A-6E tram interior, and the A-6E tram exterior kit and masks the decals are by hi decal line, not sure how I'll have the wings as yet, 

Glynn 

sgRufZp.jpg

BAmksUz.jpg

0AhYwmA.jpg 

• Like 10

Cheers H, I'm looking forward to this, i was surprised  just how big these A-6E's are , i was going to build  it  as a normal A-6E in a high viz scheme originally, but the kit includes the tram parts, and the tan and sand camo caught my eye, 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Hewy

Welcome to the Gb

I think this will be a very interesting build I am looking forward to see the start of your build ..

Cheers

Patrice

Thanks patrice, 

I'm going for one wing up, one down with it all hanging out, fully loaded  with munitions, not realistic but it'll fit on the shelf well like this☺️, I'm still researching the loadouts, I've found out early in the conflict, this aircraft searched for boats in the gulf, boring loadout, may have had to return without luck and because of weight , kept a light load for landing  back  on the roosevelt, later  the missions were changed and there were bombs, lots of bombs, so I'm still looking for the final load, if anybody can shed light on this particular aircrafts loads please reply. 

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 1

Also following; I have one that's beckoning to me from the stash, though I'd like to source some alternate decals as the kit decals are misspelled. I didnt realise one could build a TRAM from the box, though, that opens up some new possibilities.

3 hours ago, amblypygid said:

Also following; I have one that's beckoning to me from the stash, though I'd like to source some alternate decals as the kit decals are misspelled. I didnt realise one could build a TRAM from the box, though, that opens up some new possibilities.

Yes all the parts are there chris, including the alternative tram ip, the dome under the nose, and smart bombs, apart from a big, gbu12, the scheme I'm doing is included in the tram boxing,  (i dont trust hb decals anyhow) but not my vanilla A-6E, i believe there was  small intake part that needs moving a little for the tram too, i'll research that a bit more later

• Thanks 1

I've been working on the cockpit etch and I've just about done it, im going to let the pva glue dry and give it a spray of satin laquer  to make sure everything holds together

The etch and the parts details removed, I've got to give credit to hobbyboss the details in the cockpit were top notch, if i was a better detail painter I'd have gone with that, but I'm not, 

Heres the tram ip before i removed the details

AsrKXah.jpg

5nXchV6.jpg

Double layers over the dials 

5T3Pm9R.jpg

je0vhsr.jpg

What I've got now

A few levers and knobs to add when i dare handle it more

cT1d2Wb.jpg

Thanks for looking in

Glynn 

• Like 15

12 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

Wow that's good work with the IP and side consoles, very busy.

Thanks mark, its a shame its eduards work, i wish i could detail a cockpit like that. Still its took the best part of the day, 

3 hours ago, Jens said:

Don't forget to move the inner wing fences to the correct position.
The white lines are filler, and as you can see I have moved mine further inboard:

A-6A_HB_6292.jpg

Jens

Thanksfor the heads up  jens. I think i read somewhere on the net an intake duct needed moving slightly. you  wouldn't know anything of this by the way

Thanks  again

Glynn

Anytime Glynn. 
The intake duct is probably the one on the aft port fuselage. You can see a grey oval where I have filled the panel line on my A model.
I was about to start another Intruder yesterday - this time an A-6E TRAM - but I need to found out what changes/corrections to make first. I will let you know if I dig up something useful.

Jens

7 hours ago, Jens said:

Anytime Glynn. 
The intake duct is probably the one on the aft port fuselage. You can see a grey oval where I have filled the panel line on my A model.
I was about to start another Intruder yesterday - this time an A-6E TRAM - but I need to found out what changes/corrections to make first. I will let you know if I dig up something useful.

Jens

I looked into the wing fences jens, obviously your right hobbyboss has them too far outboard, it looks to me that they are more or less in line with the inboard face of the inner pylons, pe fences are included in the exterior eduard set i have so they were coming off anyway, yes i think that is the duct in question, i read about it on a modelling site a couple of months ago and i can't find it now, typical! 

Thanks

Glynn 

After finishing my nato-warsaw pact gb entry, and in doing so  clearing the foul deck, i can move forward full on with the iron tadpole, I've been pecking away at bits and pieces in no particular order, 

The front landing gear, lovley, plastic details, shrouding a metal core

2BkbhVO.jpg

Built

YEUcjOP.jpg

Painted, washed, i'll add some brake lines when I've got the strut fixed in place later

xDRbWCZ.jpg

GwYgtw9.jpg

Pe added to the deck, with my home made tiny part applicator (clever putty on a sharp cocktail stick) 

jJcQpKo.jpg

Deck painted, and added a bit of exta detail 

s62O2bT.jpg

One of the seats test fitted

B4LqyGa.jpg

rGSr6Xg.jpg

Wing fences removed, and cleaned up and sanded, I've also fitted the wings to the fuselage halves, not filled the small gaps yet

21dQEaA.jpg

M3eLkam.jpg

Last bit, the radar array, hobbyboss have included it in the kit so i thought I'd build it and see where it leads, I've added some bits of lead wire to busy things up a bit,  next it'll have some of the detail picked out, and a wash , if I like, it then the nose will go up, if not, spares bin

JvrFmKD.jpg

M7jcQJV.jpg

thanks for looking

Glynn 

• Like 14