A Clowder of Wildcats

Jb65rams

Hm, This looks quite interesting as I'm about to put yellow wings on my XF5F. I've always used Mr White Base underneath yellow, and it always took many coats to get good coverage. I'll experiment with this.

As MarkSH noted, purple and yellow are complementary; I see that yellow, red, and bue are triadic. 

I built a lot of yellow ground equipment for a Snark years ago and used 20+ coats of paint to get a decent finish. 

The pink purple idea sounds great. The last picture above seems to confirm the idea. 

Colin 

• 2 weeks later...

Been about 2 weeks since I posted last, that time has mostly been spent painting and starting the decaling.

First up, the HobbyBoss F4F-3, used Vallejo Acrylic Metal Color for the fuselage, first time I used them, I was happy with the finish.

46143700371_0a3e5afc16_c.jpg

I struggled with the decals, getting them to conform to the fuselage curves, in hindsight I should have masked and painted. I used some spare black stripe decal to tidy up the back of the nose decal.

46181995972_b0ed14af1b_c.jpg

Next up, the Wildcatfish and the Tamiya F4F-4.

31293817757_860df49246_c.jpg

46181995032_fa7cbeb9bc_c.jpg

• Like 4

I was just reading my newly acquired U.S. Navy and Marine Carrier-based Aircraft of World War II by Kinzey and Rosznak. A picture of the Wildcatfish is shown on page 14. I've seen this image before, but I just noticed, for the very first time, 3 color bands on the propeller tips. Documentation for the XF5F Skyrocket's propellers claims blue, yellow, red from inside to tip, which is what I did on my Skyrocket build. I would guess the same scheme on both aircraft.

Sadly, my 2016 Wildcatfish build has solid yellow tips.  :doh:

On 12/12/2018 at 9:12 PM, dnl42 said:

I was just reading my newly acquired U.S. Navy and Marine Carrier-based Aircraft of World War II by Kinzey and Rosznak. A picture of the Wildcatfish is shown on page 14. I've seen this image before, but I just noticed, for the very first time, 3 color bands on the propeller tips. Documentation for the XF5F Skyrocket's propellers claims blue, yellow, red from inside to tip, which is what I did on my Skyrocket build. I would guess the same scheme on both aircraft.

Thanks for tip, but Sod's Law I just painted them black with yellow tips before reading this.

Were the blades black or metal finish? I've seen the stripes on aircraft with yellow wings and metal finished blades.

Have't come across that book before, probably too late for this Christmas but added to my Amazon wishlist.

7 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

Thanks for tip, but Sod's Law I just painted them black with yellow tips before reading this.

Were the blades black or metal finish? I've seen the stripes on aircraft with yellow wings and metal finished blades.

Have't come across that book before, probably too late for this Christmas but added to my Amazon wishlist.

The blades look dark. Here's another copy of that image.

2326l1.jpg

Closing in on the finishing line, with a couple of decaling sessions. 

32547092978_9f3469180f_c.jpg

The wings proved quite difficult to fix, being resin they are quite heavy and the mounting points small. Took a few goes with superglue before it held.

Below is the family photograph.

31479372977_b8781dc041_c.jpg

Further photographs can be found in the gallery.

One final photo, a comparison of the Wildcatfish with a "Floatfire". To me the float supports makes the Wildcat look agricultural, but the Spitfire has retained its grace.

31479372477_7039fac468_c.jpg

• Like 3

Bravo! That is an outstanding collection of Wildcats! 

54 minutes ago, Jb65rams said:

One final photo, a comparison of the Wildcatfish with a "Floatfire". To me the float supports makes the Wildcat look agricultural, but the Spitfire has retained its grace.

31479372477_7039fac468_c.jpg

Indeed!  Beside the aesthetics, the Spitfire was still very fast, a testament to its outstanding heritage!

• Like 1

A really great trio of planes here.

The yellow wings with the purple undercoat look great so a technique to remember in the future. 

The folded wings look good too so 3 great models. 

Colin 

On 12/12/2018 at 9:12 PM, dnl42 said:

On 12/16/2018 at 12:50 PM, Jb65rams said:

Santa must have been reading this thread, found a copy of the book in my stocking this morning.

• Like 1