Best Hurricane MK1 reference book

ModellerUK

There's a Haynes manual on the Hurricane, currently on sale in TheWorks for £6. I've only glanced through it, so I don't know how useful you'ld find it, but it might be worth a look at that price? 

I have the Haynes book and can't honestly say it's a lot to shout about! Its mot one of their better ones, or a good reference guide. In my humble opinion the SAM Datafile is the best! It contains interior shots of the Mk1 in Hendon - which is one of the very few aircraft to still have it's original cockpit fully intact - like a time capsule!

I felt the other way round, as there is stuff in the Haynes Guide that other publications miss.  Whereas the SAM Guides are generally filled with familiar photos printed too small, familiar colour profiles (and not always accurate ones), with some crude drawings.  Each to their own of course, and as far as making a scratch-built model I have to say that the SAM Guide would be a better choice, with many more detail photos.  However use of a magnifying glass is recommended, as is a careful read of other references.

MMP Big Yellow is quite a nice book on the Hurricane. Not sure which is best overall though as all these books have their good points. Like Graham says the SAM book has looks of detail shots, though small, the Squadron Signal walkaround has some good larger photos.

http://mmpbooks.biz/shop2/?target=product&product_id=17736

Here's some of my pictures if they are  of any use.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124194494@N02/albums/72157679368727191

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124194494@N02/albums/72157675332189233

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stealthman said:

It contains interior shots of the Mk1 in Hendon - which is one of the very few aircraft to still have it's original cockpit fully intact - like a time capsule!

Erm, no.  At some point the Hendon Mk.I  (not 1) has had a load of of Grey Green paint slapped  over by it  brush,  they even painted over the canvas map pocket! (photo in the  booklet for the Italeri Hurricane kit)

It might have been a done a long time ago, but authentic, no.  This is borne out by it's recent move, when the panels were off and the original aluminium painted frames work was visible everywhere else.

Bear in mind P2617 had a long career in Training command, and despite the paint job, retains the later fitted knuckle tailwheel and 'bullet' Rotol, whichb were not original fitments

The only 3 authentic cockpits are the Finnish Hurricane, Z5252 pulled out of a Russian lake, and another IIa pulled out of a bog,  the only intact original  one is the Finnish one AFAIK, basically untouched since 1943.

5 hours ago, ModellerUK said:

Now the internet is full of great info and pics of peoples builds but I am wondering what the best book would be for pictures of the Hurricane MK1 for scratch building. Like the modellers datafiles from SAM publications. 

scratch building what?  There is loads of info on here, and a lot of mis information or just plain wrong stuff in the books. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/

is the best guide to this anywhere I know of, the books do not have this.

There are plenty of other nuggets in the "All the Hurricane questions thread", again, many of which are not in any reference I know of.

the work done by Hawker restoration is exemplary, and there is lot of detail shots available.

Don't forget our  own walkround section

apart from a few details, this is a very authentic Mk.I, despite being a Sea Hurricane,  the only additions are the hook, catapult spool and head rest, and there are masses of very clear pics for free!

From memory, the Squadron Signal walkround is pretty good for detail,  but as @ModellerUK you asked about 1/32nd kits, the fly kit needs very little adding to it in detail, and the 1/48th new tool Airfix is very good for detail, just has a few glitches

see here for a corrected build

3 hours ago, Beard said:

I imagine @Troy Smith will be along shortly, he'll probably have some suggestions.

Indeed Simon.

Sorry I didn't call back, been very busy (we were discussing the Haynes book)

HTH

• Like 1

I was going to suggest the old Airfix Classic Aircraft book by Gerald Scarborough, written back in the 70s to go with the 1/24 scale kit. I'd foolishly assumed it would be going for a song but although I wouldn't part with my copy, the prices being asked for it on AbeBooks and Amazon are a lot more than it's worth, in my opinion. There's a Squadron Signal Walk Around, though again it's not a book that I've looked at and the cost of acquiring a copy seems to start at around £30 when postage is taken into account (the ones being offered at a realistic price all seem to be in the US).

I would honestly say that The MkI in Hendon has one of the most complete Hurricane Cockpits I've ever seen including the T Handles for firing the emergency flares. The pics in the SAM Datafile are about the closest you are gonna get accuracy wise in all respects.