Just bought this airbrush ......

andmarsh

If you want a low cost, good quality airbrush I would recommend the Harder & Steenbeck Ultra. Unlike the Iwata Neo, it doesn't have that silly little nut holding it together and having owned and used both, the I much prefer the Ultra.

At least you broke the nozzel on a cheap airbrush and not an expensive one. As somebody has said their very easy to break, I don't know why they even put a spanner in there to remove them, Iwata do the same.

Get your self a Iwata nozzel removal tool, they will fit the other makes too

https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Iwata-Nozzle-Wrench.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI842i15Ch3gIVTbvtCh3OYgM4EAQYAiABEgINYPD_BwE

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gorby said:

If you want a low cost, good quality airbrush I would recommend the Harder & Steenbeck Ultra. Unlike the Iwata Neo, it doesn't have that silly little nut holding it together and having owned and used both, the I much prefer the Ultra.

funny you should say that - i ordered one last night   lol

was going to go with the Iwata Neo until i realised it had that tiny nozzle as well 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, andmarsh said:

funny you should say that - i ordered one last night   lol

was going to go with the Iwata Neo until i realised it had that tiny nozzle as well 

You won't regret it, great bit of kit.

I give mine a brief clean after every colour and a full strip down clean every couple of days. Apparently you should strip it all down and clean it at the end of every day of use, but I've not had any problems. I don't use an ultrasonic cleaner myself, but I know people who do and think they are great. If you aren't sure how to clean it, there are many videos on Youtube. Not every one does it the same way, so watch two or three and decide which method suits you best.

I recommend getting (if you haven't already):

Cleaning brushes

Back flushing cap which helps with cleaning

I've also got a nozzle cleaning needle but I'm pretty sure I didn't pay that price.  

If you keep it clean and treat it carefully (particularly the needle) and it will last years.

I've just noticed there are loads of cheap airbrush nozzle cleaning needles on Amazon which should work just as well. When you use it, don't apply any pressure, just insert the point and twirl it.

Edited by Gorby
addition

I'm using the Ultra too as my go to tool. Very nice cheap airbrush buuuut (there has to be one): get the nozzle and needle caps from the Infinity (with the pinch prong collar or whatever they call it). I can give you the number parts when I get home if you can't find it. It makes life a lot easier when you do a long spraying session. Also you'll need a valve with air adjustment (preferably an H&S one) it saves you the trouble of moving to the compressor all the time. And check the adjustment on the part that needle slides through (the one with the PTFE seal inside the airbrush). Mine wasn't screwed in enough and paint was leaking towards the trigger.

Personally, if you're on a tight budget like me, I'd just use it with the parts as it arrives before you decide to change the nozzle and caps. Some of the extras can be quite expensive and although they may be nice, I've managed fine with mine with all the original parts.

45579067321_9f24f4a821_h.jpg

This is my cheap Iwata clone, €40 wasted, could've burn it in the fireplace.

I realized it after a year of newbie airbrushing and constant problems/fails. As it came with two sets of needle/nozzle (0,3 and 0,2) I've switched them and looks just the same. For me it seems that either nozzle cap is not following the axis or whole nozzle base is not straight. I bet on second one because as I progress with screwing in air cap and look from the front I can see nozzle sticking to one side only. Plus after a year of painting and using not very aggressive thinners/cleaners I notice the paint keep leaking backwards through the needle nest seal. It must be of a very poor quality, now the paint leaks backward and dries there so after a day or two the whole mechanism is getting stuck and I have to use a bit of force to pull the needle and to clean it.

On the other hand I bought GSI Creos Procon Boy WA and it works just perfectly, PTFE needle seal is doing well, no problems with cleaning or clogging, paint atomisation is just outstanding. 

If i can advise you then never buy cheap airbrush for beginning. You'll never know if the problem is on your side or on the tool side. Problems unheard of anywhere in good airbrushes may make you dislike painting. I know it from experience, I have started airbrushing about 5 years ago but after 2,5 models and painting problems I quit and came back just recently.

If I was to choose cheap airbrush for beginning then I'd probably go for Sparmax SP-35C, they at least have some quality control and spare parts are realitvely cheap in EU.

• Like 1

ksyH00.png

YYHnuZ.png

Both Chinese cheapos, both are 0.3mm nozzles. The first one is the same one andmarsh bought. Used the first one for about two years with no major issues and decent results. Then again, I do modern civilian vehicles, so it's not very demanding from the airbrushes.

When you change sizes on the this brush. You swap the needle , nozzle and aircap.

The aircap would be the first piece to go back on in your picture.

Make sure your not using the one for the .3

The difference between this and more expensive ones is mostly machining tolerance 

And yep, if you broke it you would have broken a $500 brush just as easily. So I would just consider it a valuable learning tool.

There is no separate aircap, only one included in the set.

You forgot that beside the machining tolerance there comes also matherials quality. I believe such thing wouldn't even pass quality control in i.e. Iwata or wherever they produce Tamiyas and Procons.

Edited by TapChan

1 hour ago, TapChan said:

You forgot that beside the machining tolerance there comes also matherials quality. I believe such thing wouldn't even pass quality control in i.e. Iwata or wherever they produce Tamiyas and Procons.

Yikes, that's worse than I thought.

This is a slightly different build then the Chinese versions I am used to then.

The pic shows another aircap in the .5 nozzle container.....

Yeah there's lots of minor differences but by and large the biggest is tolerances. Which leads to oringed nozzles that don't center without extra work.  Drilled rather than reemed aircap holes that are rough and not actually round etc etc.

Edited by Robbyrockett

2 hours ago, TapChan said:

There's separate aircaps in the box. One for the 0.2 and 0.3 nozzles and one for the 0.5 nozzle. As for material quality... brass is brass. I know people using this airbrush type for more than ten years and never broke a nozzle. If you overtighten it, it can be the most expensive Iwata, you'll still break it. Probably why Iwata decided to offer the free floating nozzle in the Eclipse range.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bmwh548 said:

There's separate aircaps in the box. One for the 0.2 and 0.3 nozzles and one for the 0.5 nozzle. As for material quality... brass is brass. I know people using this airbrush type for more than ten years and never broke a nozzle. If you overtighten it, it can be the most expensive Iwata, you'll still break it. Probably why Iwata decided to offer the free floating nozzle in the Eclipse range.

There are tiny differences with the materials.

For instance some needles have micro garbage inclusions and can't ever be polished out.

Orings can be molded with more filler, or of a cheaper substance altogether.

It's not a real triple chrome job.

Springs sometimes fatigue more easily.

generally though materials I find to be very very close.

Especially giving that an airbrush doesn't exactly push the limits of the materials anyhow for the most part.

Edited by Robbyrockett

On 11/2/2018 at 5:03 PM, bmwh548 said:

As for material quality... brass is brass. I know people using this airbrush type for more than ten years and never broke a nozzle. If you overtighten it, it can be the most expensive Iwata, you'll still break it. Probably why Iwata decided to offer the free floating nozzle in the Eclipse range.

Agree with that, everytime I remove the tiny nozzles I wince, especially with the price of Iwata ones.  Prompted me to get the Iwata nozzle tool - think there is less chance of damage than with a spanner - also easier to align so you don’t strip the threads.

Cheers,

Nigel

• 3 weeks later...

Try this bloke Don Wheeler...he's the guru of airbrushes....https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/home

Also have a look at the Iwata Neo entry level airbrush. I just bought one off ebay at a very good price. They are chinese made under contract to Iwata Anest. I got mine as a spare/backup and I am quite satisfied with it although I normally use an Iwata HP-CS or Badger 100.

I have a few of those chinese knock offs that came with other kit usually and all need fettling or using for purposes other than modelling (eg spraying insecticide in hard to reach spots....)but you can be lucky occasionally.

HTH John H, in tropical Brisbane...too hot to spray!