Just bought this airbrush ......

andmarsh

Does it work?

I ask because I have the exact one which I bought specifically for 0.5mm for primer.  Mine is bloody useless.  It’s actually okay on the smaller nozzles but leaks like hell on 0.5mm so sprays badly.

Probably other things like tolerance of nozzles and needles but the main problem is the dreadful o-rings they use on the nozzles - they are often malformed or damaged so don’t seal properly - thought I’d buy some quality replacements (maybe Iwata ones) but impossible to get on their own.

I found mine worked better with the o-ring removed and practically solved the priblem using airbrush wax but decided it was too much hassle so got a decent 0.5mm instead.

Having said that - this is just my experience with that particular nozzle.  The other two were better, and I have seen plenty of Chinese clines working very well. So there is no reason why you haven’t got a good one.

Cheers,

Nigel 

Edited by nheather

I've got the same product. Bought it a few years ago, used it "in anger" (all the needle-nozzle combos) and I absolutely loved it. Yes, the nozzles aren't perfectly concentric with the nozzle covers (because 99% of the time the nozzle seal doesn't seat properly and the nozzle sits ever so slightly at an angle, but if you have a bit of patience you can "overcome" the issue. Also you can buy the whole front assembly really cheap, which is what I did (I had a set for each nozzle size) and that means you don't mess with the nozzle o-ring too often. Try giving the needles a gentle polish (nothing rough so you don't change the needle tip too much), it helps since they're not finished to perfection from the factory. IMHO that is by far the best out of the dirt cheap airbrushes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They are hit or miss. Some file work on the nozzle caps can center them up. Some careful adjusting of screwing the nozzles on "just so" and using a little pressure to the right direction as you do so and you can actually tune them to work quite well. In other words, you didn't buy a brush, you bought a kit.

This kit does have decent potential though.

It may be a frustrating waste of money, or a nice lesson in tuning and very careful maintenance...depends on you and depends on the particular brush.

If you need it to just work so you can get on with your modeling.....you'll toss it pretty soon.

I think it comes with the 0.2 needle-nozzle set equipped which is technically designed for detail work. If you want large areas put the 0.5 on and leave the needle guard off (just be careful handling it so you don't bend the needle).

1 hour ago, bmwh548 said:

I think it comes with the 0.2 needle-nozzle set equipped which is technically designed for detail work. If you want large areas put the 0.5 on and leave the needle guard off (just be careful handling it so you don't bend the needle).

Just swapped the needle for 0.5

Wow with that needle cover off it certainly pushes out more air!

When you say needle I hope you mean the whole assembly: needle, nozzle, nozzle cap. I've seen people use the wrong combos (especially nozzle and nozzle cover) and they couldn't figure out why the airbrush isn't working right.

tried with and without the nozzle cover

used Vallejo airbrush cleaner, which is blowing through a fine mist of cleaner ok

once cleaned tried again, the same issue - must be something with the way I have set the needle perhaps?? tried different PSI makes no difference

30505802317_466e3e2847_c.jpg

Without the nozzle cover you'll never get it to work, that needs to be on. When you retract the needle does it go fully back? Are you thinning the paint enough? If it works with airbrush cleaner it should work with paint. If it doesn't the mix is way too thick or the nozzle is partly clogged.

Strange,  I was trying to use vallejo primer straight from the bottle.  I read it shouldn't need to be thinned.    Also tried adding water to the mix still no joy.

Took. A new pot of tamiya acrylic paint filled to the top of the bottle with tamiya thinner and it is now working.

Have they  have the compressor running around 35_40 psi,  is that normal?

6 hours ago, bmwh548 said:

When you say needle guard is that the nozzle right at the front?

Plenty of air with that unscrewed but no paint!

I'm not familiar with Vallejo's stuff so can't help. The pressure is way too high for my taste. 20 psi should suffice. If at 20 psi it doesn't work add more thinner to the mix. I personally make my paint very close to water consistency, but it's a bit tricky to work with that if you're just starting to airbrush.

Yes, the needle guard is the small round part at the front. The nozzle cover is the next one. Looking from the front of the brush check the gap between the nozzle tip and the nozzle cover. You should have a uniform gap between them (pretty significant in size for the 0.5 set). If you put the wrong nozzle cover on (the 0.2 and 0.3 use a different one) then you won't get enough air to atomize paint (assuming you'll get any air at all). You can also stick a toothpick through the nozzle cover's holes to make sure they're clear.

Frankly @andmarsh , I gave up on these. I bought one and it worked ok for a while, then got to the stage when I went to use it, plenty of air but no paint. Bought another and history repeated itself. Bought a Sparmax 35 from Paul for 90 hard earned and It is so much better. Pick it up from your last session and it just works. Happy days.

14 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Frankly @andmarsh , I gave up on these. I bought one and it worked ok for a while, then got to the stage when I went to use it, plenty of air but no paint. Bought another and history repeated itself. Bought a Sparmax 35 from Paul for 90 hard earned and It is so much better. Pick it up from your last session and it just works. Happy days.

bummer....looks like i may just keep running into trouble with this one then

Can i ask how the more expensive ones differ- they all look the same to me 😁

I've never had the problem described by Vinnie. Occasionally after cleanup with a very hot product the rubber seals get swollen up and when they "deflate" they won't seat properly but it's an easy fix. Like I said I used the BD-180 for a few years before getting my Ultra and I was very happy with it. You're not going to be doing mottle camo free hand, but you can get good results after you learn how to use it.

Keep practicing and experimenting, don’t give up on that brush yet.  I learned on a cheap airbrush like yours and it did perfectly decent paint jobs - once I’d got the knack of thinning and pressures.  To start with it seemed like all I ever did was clean it out but eventually got the idea.

I can’t say my H&S Ultra gives a better finish than the cheapy but it is a lot easier to use and particularly to clean out.  Even then I find it more forgiving with the optional 0.4 set up than the standard 0.2.  I’m still learning on each model.  Main things are thin paint and less air pressure than I expected!

cheers

Will

• Like 1

A lot of folk find these Chinese airbrushes ok. I can only speak from personal experience. The Sparmax trigger I bought is so comfortable to hold and the paint supply adjusting screw actually works. Love it!

how long should paint in the cup last by the way?

I'm using Vallejo primer just about got it working by mixing water and flow improver

but noticed after a partial coat on small Tamiya car body - it had all gone?

a piece of crap - just took it apart to clean it

screwed that tiny nozzle tip back on tightened it with the little spanner

and the bloody thing just sheared off and left a bit inside the actual thread

waste of money that was

That's the standard mistake made by users with that type of nozzles. It's really not the airbrush's fault, it happens with Iwatas too. The nozzle doesn't even need the spanner for mounting, finger tight is enough. I use the spanner for removal only.