B-17G Little Patches

Little Patches B-17G 91st Bomb Group. The name "Little Patches" was acquired after the aircraft's first combat mission with Lt William Major's crew when Frankfurt flak put many splinters through the ship. The damage was primarily cosmetic but the skin required numerous small aluminium patches prompting Lt Major to name the ship.
Building the Revell 1/72 B-17G isn't difficult in itself, difficulties start begin when you are trying to use Eduard Biged. ;) I only can say, that the main technology during the build of this model was soldering, not gluing. ;) In addition, the following extras are also was used;
- vacform canopies (Pavla models);
- decals for "Little Patches" (Microscale);
- resin wheels (Eduard).
Well and some scratchbuilt parts of course. 

DSC06314

DSC06316

DSC06317

DSC06318

DSC06319

DSC06320

DSC06326

DSC06349

DSC06351

DSC06353

DSC06354

DSC06355

DSC06360

DSC06361

DSC06362

DSC06367

DSC06369

DSC06372

DSC06374

DSC06375

DSC06376

DSC06380

DSC06383

DSC06384

DSC06388

DSC06390

DSC06394

DSC06399

DSC06401

DSC06403

DSC06404

DSC06412

DSC06414

DSC06419

DSC06421

DSC06422

DSC06426

DSC06429

DSC06430

Thank you for looking, any comments are welcome.

Edited by maverick_62
Reload photos
  • Like 67

Having built one I think that you should have paid more attention to the exterior;  panel lines and gaps on the nose inserts kinda spoil the great overall effect.

Also the mounts for the waist machine guns are aappropriate for closed windows only.

Having also fitted Eduard wheels on my model I found them not to be a much of an improvement over Revell. They aren't even flattened. 

Brilliant B-17!

I've been planning a "Lil' Patches" build myself; the same decals but using a Hasegawa G-model I have stashed away.

I'm curious - did your Microscale placement reference suggest the later-style tail gun set-up?

My decal sheet shows exactly that, but all other references I examine indicate your older style rear gun configuration is correct.

That brings about something of a dilemma for me, since the Hasegawa model depicts the G-model with the later rear gun turret.

Any thoughts?

In any case, your build is superb and if mine turned out half as good I'd be doing well.

:goodjob:

7 hours ago, Josip said:

Having built one I think that you should have paid more attention to the exterior;  panel lines and gaps on the nose inserts kinda spoil the great overall effect.

Also the mounts for the waist machine guns are aappropriate for closed windows only.

Having also fitted Eduard wheels on my model I found them not to be a much of an improvement over Revell. They aren't even flattened. 

The gaps are absence there, but panel lines in this place are realy a little wide than other.

In principle you are right, this detail just my fantasy on the theme, if honestly. ;)
But it's nothing in comparison with the main issue of this model. On the real aircraft, as i remember,  the wayside gun turrets are not symmetrical by each other.

Allow me here disagree with you, the Eduard wheels looks much more accurate than the original Revell.  And as for they aren't flattened, that's just a matter of taste, IMHO of course.

Oh, I'll alow it allright. If I was to build it again I sure wouldn't buy them again. They cost me nearly 10eur.

The clear nose inserts have wider panels/gaps and should have been filled.

The model itself looks terrific nonetheless. 

9 hours ago, kapam said:

Brilliant B-17!

I've been planning a "Lil' Patches" build myself; the same decals but using a Hasegawa G-model I have stashed away.

I'm curious - did your Microscale placement reference suggest the later-style tail gun set-up?

My decal sheet shows exactly that, but all other references I examine indicate your older style rear gun configuration is correct.

That brings about something of a dilemma for me, since the Hasegawa model depicts the G-model with the later rear gun turret.

Any thoughts?

In any case, your build is superb and if mine turned out half as good I'd be doing well.

:goodjob:

I only can say, that in all source, how you mentioned above, and in my microscale reference too, suggested the older style rear gun. Microscale decal AC72-0045.

Looks very nice - your shade of faded olive drab looks great!

For reference, you’ve used the correct ‘stinger’ tail turret for Little Patches, but the waist windows were the enclosed, 3-pane type. They were directly opposite each other as you have correctly depicted. 

In regard to the interior, B-17s were unpainted internally - only the flight deck had the exposed metal painted and this was Dark Dull Green - sometimes referred to as Bronze Green. The nose, bomb bay, radio room, waist areas and tail turret were all left in natural metal. Never, at any time during B-17 production, was interior green used. 

However, this is certainly a beautifully finished Fort and certainly makes for an eye-catching model.