F-14D “Bombcat” VF-31 CAG “OIF” - Completed

trickyrich

The Tamiya kit is simply outstanding, you'll enjoy building it! I agree with Pappy's comments about the seats - I used Quickboost examples for my first build, and have plenty of sets in the stash for the other 4 D boxings that I have, but a thing to note is that the QB seats both have the same size canopy breakers; these on the pilots' seat were taller than the RIO's - you can attach the breakers from the Tamiya plastic to the resin seats without too much trouble!

On a side note, I'm planning on this scheme fairly soon with the Fightertown decals and 3x GBU-31's. I'm not copying, honest!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pappy said:

Have you read the Dave Aungst build article for the Has F-14?, it has  some good gouge on the traps and how to deal with them. Also there was a minor re-work of some of the nacelle parts by Hasegawa, it didn't completely remedy the fit issue but it did make it less bad.

I wish i had!! I spent over an hour yesterday just paying with one wing trying to get 3 bits to fit! I found out the "Eyelid doors" were back to front about 45mins in. :rant: Now after reading the construction article I'm definitely going to build it flaps up. After the one wing saga I decided to "play" with the main gear wheel well bits......another hour or so later and after much frustration I got those sorted. There's no easy way to sort them out.

After all that frustration I went back to the Tamiya one and spent some blissful time assembling the pylons. At the rate I'm going all the sub-assemblies and minor bits will all be together before I actually really start this build!

19 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

The Tamiya kit is simply outstanding, you'll enjoy building it! I agree with Pappy's comments about the seats - I used Quickboost examples for my first build, and have plenty of sets in the stash for the other 4 D boxings that I have, but a thing to note is that the QB seats both have the same size canopy breakers; these on the pilots' seat were taller than the RIO's - you can attach the breakers from the Tamiya plastic to the resin seats without too much trouble!

On a side note, I'm planning on this scheme fairly soon with the Fightertown decals and 3x GBU-31's. I'm not copying, honest!

I can really see myself buying another one in the future. I do have to agree with you on the ejector seat, it's really had to go past a good resin one, thanks for the tip on the canopy breakers. The more I look at the cockpit detailing I think I'll stay with the kit one, I'll just take lots of time and carefully paint it up. Like the rest of the model I expect it all to just fall together perfectly...unlike what a resin AM one will that's for sure.

I think it's a cool scheme, that's what attracted me to it, I only just wish I could have gotten the CAG one with Felix with the Santa hat on. I have found some great photo's of that bird.

21 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I wish i had!! I spent over an hour yesterday just paying with one wing trying to get 3 bits to fit! I found out the "Eyelid doors" were back to front about 45mins in. :rant: Now after reading the construction article I'm definitely going to build it flaps up. After the one wing saga I decided to "play" with the main gear wheel well bits......another hour or so later and after much frustration I got those sorted. There's no easy way to sort them out.

After all that frustration I went back to the Tamiya one and spent some blissful time assembling the pylons. At the rate I'm going all the sub-assemblies and minor bits will all be together before I actually really start this build!

I can really see myself buying another one in the future. I do have to agree with you on the ejector seat, it's really had to go past a good resin one, thanks for the tip on the canopy breakers. The more I look at the cockpit detailing I think I'll stay with the kit one, I'll just take lots of time and carefully paint it up. Like the rest of the model I expect it all to just fall together perfectly...unlike what a resin AM one will that's for sure.

I think it's a cool scheme, that's what attracted me to it, I only just wish I could have gotten the CAG one with Felix with the Santa hat on. I have found some great photo's of that bird.

The 05/06 CAG jet with the red tails and black nose cone? Or the same one you're doing, only with the Santa hat added?

The kits' cockpit is the best you'll get in plastic!

• 2 weeks later...

Well this is not so much an update, just some extras for this build, once the Sabre Dog is completely out of the way I start this one proper…….ok anything that can be glued together without being painted within reason has been done!

Ok we have the major paints for the scheme, I’ll be using my new fav’s, Mr Paint. For moulded detail this fine I need to use some super thin paint and lacquer looks like the only way to go.

IMG_2246-L.jpg

There are still some additional paints I need and will get them when they’re available.

This wonderful set also arrived in the post for me. I hadn’t planned to use any AM stuff on her, but the exhaust cans were just crying out for detail to match the rest of the model. I found a set of these from KA Models.

IMG_2247-L.jpg

Though they’re frighteningly expensive the detailing is amazing. 

IMG_2248-L.jpg

KA Model, Tamiya, Hasegawa

They even fitted the flame holders though maybe not the best idea for painting??

IMG_2249-L.jpg

There’s even masks to help you get the two tone look in the can petals!

The only issue is that you either buy a set with the cans open or closed, not one opened and one closed as you would see them parked. I could just get a pair of the open cans only….but the cost!!! They’re seriously expensive, You an get a full AM cockpit set for much less!

Finally this wee baby was waiting for me when I came home!! Now just need to find some time to build her!

IMG_2245-L.jpg

• Like 3

Your resin fetish was never going to stay dormant for long Rich :lol:  Or are those cans 3D printed plastic?

Nice choice on the MiG-23 kit by the way. We'll need to dream up a GB to ensure you can get it built soon ;) 

• Haha 1

I don't know, if they are 3D printed then they Are the best I've seen, they're like little jewels!

Well seeing the rest of the model is done so perfectly I had to get some exhaust cans to suit, and ejector seats, and....... oh ok I just can't help myself!!

oh plus I got one of these as well. :D

KaJaPa

• Like 1

Right finally a proper update and I guess an "official" start to this build, though I have already been playing with her since the start of the GB but it’s mostly been just gluing bits together and building up subassemblies. But now finally some paint on plastic has occurred!

First up the cockpit, I’m using the standard Tamiya one but with some AM seats. I started by giving everything a light coat of Mr Paint XD Sea Grey before a top coat of Interior Grey (362312 Dark Gull Grey), it just gives it a little bit of extra depth rather than looking completely flat.

i-HpJhGvW-L.jpg

The photos may if look quite a bit darker than it is, gee that paint is sooo thin, you lose no detail at all. Next up some masking and then Semi Gloss Black.

i-dcss6hT-L.jpg

I have a couple of more colours to go before I can spend a few hours doing the detailed paint stuff....that part does worry me a bit as I don’t want to stuff the whole thing up!

While I was in the painting mood I painted the wheel wells, using the same method, Mr Paint XD Sea Grey then a coat of Tamiya’s White Lacquer. It’s the first time I’ve used this paint, gee it goes on so nice, again super thin, dries quickly and give a awesome finish. I masked everything to help prevent overspray.

i-BMq8c2F-L.jpg

Next up just a wee bit of careful painting to add a bit of detail.

i-S2BXbWC-L.jpg

All the photo’s I’ve found of the wheel wells on F-14’s show the white to be sort of dirty with a real orange/yellow tint to it (guess from the hydraulics and fumes), so one painted I gave it a light coat of Tamiya Smoke then a flat clear coat.

i-4fz6xrT-L.jpg

I don’t know whether to do the panel lines of not, again photos show the internals to be very “flat” in looks and not super distinct as a panel wash would do. Will have a wee think about that.

The join on the intakes was almost perfect but painting does show one of them up, it’s on the bottom of the intake so you can’t see it when it’s in place so I won’t both trying to sort it out. It’ll be more work than it’s worth.

I have sort of been working on the Hasegawa model at the same time and started painting up the same bits.

i-fsCcw2Z-L.jpg

i-CjWLcSS-L.jpg

I really don’t think I’ll go too much further with that build. The Aires cockpit is/looks to be a nightmare to fit....as per usual! And to be perfectly honest that model will be an awful lot of work to get it to look as good as the Tamiya one, so for now I’ll leave it for another rainy day.

I’ll do a little bit more on her but I really do have to finish some builds that are in front of her first, plus I need to buy some more paint for her as well. 

• Like 4

When you return to the tamiya 14 it'll probably have built itself, it looks so nice, i have the amk one on order (its being ripped apart on arc forums) but i reckon santa is going to bring me a tamiya  f-14 a, if I'm a good lad in the next few weeks

• Thanks 1

On 11/15/2018 at 4:19 PM, Hewy said:

When you return to the tamiya 14 it'll probably have built itself, it looks so nice, i have the amk one on order (its being ripped apart on arc forums) but i reckon santa is going to bring me a tamiya  f-14 a, if I'm a good lad in the next few weeks

I really wouldn't complain if Santa brought me another one that's for sure!! :D

Lots of progress since the last update, gee this model builds so quickly and easily!

First up the rear fuselage section was joined. Tamiya were super clever with where they put these joins, the joins are panel lines. They just a tiny bit work in polishing them up and they’re done.

IMG_2322-L.jpg

IMG_2323-L.jpg

They only issue  I had the join at the front of the intakes, there was a small gap and a very slight height difference, probably my fault there. A wee bit of filler and some careful sanding back and it’ll be fine.

IMG_2321-L.jpg

The intakes and exhausts are pretty much done though I am waiting for an “open set of nozzles. The positioning of the joins in the intake ducts and so well done and position that you really don’t have to worry about them at all.

IMG_2310-L.jpg

IMG_2311-L.jpg

IMG_2307-L.jpg

The cockpit was done enough that it could be fitted, same with the nose wheel bay, so the forward fuselage section could be joined, again the resulting joins were near perfect.

IMG_2326-L.jpg

The cockpit looks really nice once in, the standard detailing is fine, there’s no real need for an AM cockpit here.

IMG_2324-L.jpg

The seat’s and IP’s still need more work, but they can almost be fitted at the end.

IMG_2327-L.jpg

The landing gear is just about done, they will look great when finally fitted, just a wee bit more detailing required here.

IMG_2320-L.jpg

IMG_2319-L.jpg

opps, excuse the fluff

IMG_2318-L.jpg

Gosh she looks good when fitted together, even with everything just sitting there. 

IMG_2312-L.jpg

IMG_2313-L.jpg

I don’t know whether to have her with wings open or closed or have them so I can position them either way, space wise folded back would be better.

IMG_2316-L.jpg

The cockpit will look great when done, I’m glad I avoided the issues with fitting AM cockpits, they’re really not needed here.

IMG_2314-L.jpg

I am just surprised at how quickly she’s coming together, though the real work comes with the painting, but time wise this build is in a great place. I’ll put her aside for a bit to finish off a couple of other builds.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Jabba said:

Wow that is quick, blink and it will be finished.

for such a big and detailed model she just falls together. Plus it's helped by the fact these guy's really know how to design and product an amazing model and all us modellers need to do is cut and glue.

6 hours ago, DaveJL said:

Great work, really ought to get mine started!

you should, it would be love at first sight/touch, it's one of the nicest models I've ever built.

I should be able to make some real progress soon on her as I will have the primer of the lacquer paint this week. Would have already had it but I ordered the wrong one, but got Mr Paint acrylic primer instead of the lacquer! :wall:

so first job though will be to paint and mask the intakes then I can button up the fuselage completely.

I'm not too sure actually, i'm actually going to go with the nozzles open, so have a set of nozzles on the way. 

Even if they are not 100% correct they are a vast improvement on the kit ones. With the masking and the 2-tone colour of the nozzles they should look a lot better.

• Like 1

Ok I’ve made some good progress since the last update.

First up I needed to stat removing the mould line on the canopy, it can be quite scary sanding into such a thing of beauty!! But after working through a set of Micro Mesh pads and some polishing compound they came out perfectly

IMG_2395-L.jpg

IMG_2396-L.jpg

I don’t like dipping them into Klear as I think it makes them look too shiny and perfect. Canopies are never like this unless they are factory fresh or just been replaced. No matter how careful you are (in real life) they get fine scratches and marks all over them other than the flat glass screens ( they will though eventually over time). I like mine with just a little of the shine knocked off them.

The intakes have been painted inside, those masks were a pain to use and to cut out (note to self – need to remove top part of mask before gluing intakes to fuselage!!!  :wall: ). But again Tamiya have been very clever in how it all goes together, all the joins ate carefully hidden.

IMG_2422-L.jpg

So now all the main parts of the rear fuselage are done.

IMG_2423-L.jpg

Next up the 2 lower panels for the front fuselage section. This is probably the worst fitting parts on the whole model, they’re not back, just noticeable compared to the rest of the model. (the model now only gets 99.5/100  :D  ). Lots of clamping and careful gluing was required here.

IMG_2424-L.jpg

The same with the forward panel, though this time there is just a wee gap. One thing I do have to be very careful of in the surface preparation. The new paint I’m using is ultra thin so the slightest surface blemish/faults will start out like the preverbal dog bits!!! So I’ve been carefully filling and polishing ever little join I can find.

IMG_2425-L.jpg

IMG_2426-L.jpg

This was the first chance I’d have to see exactly how the U/c will sit when fitted, all look fine.

IMG_2430-L.jpg

IMG_2431-L.jpg

…and all together she looks amazing!

IMG_2427-L.jpg

I’m glad Tamiya give you the option to position the wings how you want, you swap out the glove covers.

IMG_2428-L.jpg

IMG_2429-L.jpg

I never really noticed how wide apart the engines were before, I will replace those nozzles with the open ones when the eventually get here.

IMG_2432-L.jpg

I had a wee play with the weapon load-out, they look good. I know the Phoenix wasn’t carried after the very early missions, but it does look good and it fills an empty pylon. Plus you can see I’ve started painting the weapons, that’s when I noticed the joins and realised just how much care I’ll need to take with them!!!

IMG_2421-L.jpg

I’ll hold off on this for a bit so I can finish the Lancer & P-39.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, exdraken said:

Looking good!

Thin paint.... oh my  sounds like a challenge!  How does it cover?

it actually covers perfectly, you just gradually build up the layers as you need, it goes one super smooth. I'll just need to be careful with what primer I use, I'll probably use their white as the underside Grey (FS36372) may end up looking too dark. That said panels lines/differentiation and blotchy paint finish sound come out really well. I'll do some test painting on the weeks end on the wings, or another model.  

• Like 1

I agree the lower fuselage panel is a bit of a tardy fit but the Pheonix pylons cover over the join so I'd give Tamiya back the missing 0.5%

Colin 

yeah I did notice that as well. They may have figured there could be a possibility of a bad join, though not so great if you're loading her up with Sparrows!

You can see throughout the model they spent a lot of time figuring out where and how to place the joins that would give them the best join, and they pretty much nailed it.