AIM 1/72 DC-7 B and C Resin Conversion Set

wallyinoz

Nice progress there Neil !

Are you going to release the set without decals as well? That would be at least my preference as i allready have some nice decals for the KLM freighter version..though a Affretair version would make me by one with those...😁

I can imagine that there are more people who like it without decals as Vintageflyers also do some very nice decals for the DC7 like a blue tail  BOAC, Alitalia, PanAm and others..

Cheers, Jan

Not wanting to drift to far away and from Neils excellent work but for those intetested in the Carvair have you seen the facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1597142537173925/permalink/2180292225525617/.

And the conversion done by a Paul Crawly. The parts were 3d printed by a friend. Apparently not interested in producing more yet.

21 hours ago, janneman36 said:

Nice progress there Neil !

Are you going to release the set without decals as well? That would be at least my preference as i allready have some nice decals for the KLM freighter version..though a Affretair version would make me by one with those...😁

I can imagine that there are more people who like it without decals as Vintageflyers also do some very nice decals for the DC7 like a blue tail  BOAC, Alitalia, PanAm and others..

Cheers, Jan

The conversion sets will come without decals, and then there will be a range of laser printed decals Affretair will probably be covered and I may do the very bland scheme of the Rhodesian sanctions-buster I flew in, plus SAA old and new schemes for the 7B, and others.......

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:30 PM, tnuag said:

I was thinking about Carvairs a long time ago, and lost interest because it was one of the projects I shared with my late wife.

Interest is stirring again, but first we need to deal with the Douglas and Canadair models.

Here are a couple of early screen shots:

Carvair%202.jpg

Carvair%201.jpg

Great

Asked for it since the Revell C-54/DC-4 is released.

Have seen lots of them at Rotterdam airport.

Any release date ?

Auke Bruins

i'm sure whatever the cost, these will be great, I'm going to need a bigger house, want at least one of each. It'll sure beat researching and scratchbuilding the parts. EPA in the Maritimes had a couple of Cavairs.

Will the props be metal or resin? I just ask because I may want to put electric motors behind them. Will the prop shafts be on the engine or prop side?

Edited by busnproplinerfan

We never give release dates because too much can go wrong along the way.

Before we get to the Carvair there are two Douglas and four Canadair conversions to release, plus other items.

We routinely use metal propellers with the shaft integral with the propeller.

27 minutes ago, tnuag said:

Before we get to the Carvair there are two Douglas and four Canadair conversions to release, plus other items.

Makes the most sense. Good to know on the props, know what to plan for if I do motorize one, if I do, might not.

• 2 weeks later...

The DC-7C centre section now fits the fuselage nicely - it will go for casting on Monday (11 Feb 19) - the last part in the Douglas conversions. A lot of parts are already produced, only waiting for saddle tanks and centre sections, plus propellers now.

• Thanks 1

On 1/28/2019 at 7:38 PM, tnuag said:

Thanks for the info! I'm going to go ahead and buy a Revell C-54 now.....just in case.

Steve

Hello!

Mouthwatering stuff here! I already have the Revell Thunderbirds C-54D kit so it's going to patiently wait on the Carvair conversion... there I have it, my propeller driven 747-200 Freighter kit 😁!

I'll get a DC-7C conversion as well, I didn't know what to do with my DC-6 Sécurité Civile and the ultimate Douglas propliner tempts me much more than the DC-6.

I may have missed the information but are these conversions going to be made out of regular styrene, and I guess white metal for the props?

All the conversions are vacuum or pressure cast in urethane resin with metal detail parts such as propellers or landing gear.

The provisional production sequence is:

DC-7B & DC-7C

Canadair Yukon & CL-44

Canadair Argus

Carvair
Mandator Blue Steel transporter
DH 86 Express - full kit.

Edited by tnuag
spelling correction
  • Thanks 1

It is more of a building blocks approach - issue the first and then use parts from this in subsequent packs. Thus the non-radar nose was stand alone. The engines are common to the DC-7 and Canadair Argus, but the Argus is very much more complex, so the DC-7 comes next.

It must be remembered that stereolithography is a very expensive process so each kit or pack funds the next. As an example, the resin used costs £160 per kg - not cheap!

Anyway, here is a link to the instructions for the DC-7 and DC-7B conversion: http://www.aim72.co.uk/Pictures/DC-7 instructions-A5.pdf

And similarly a link to the instructions for the DC-7C conversion: http://www.aim72.co.uk/Pictures/DC-7C instructions-A5.pdf

Edited by tnuag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Didn't know there was a Carvair around, saw this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nGsZgdgQ3g

That airplane is right up the road from me at the Gainesville, Texas, airport (GLE). You can see it in Google Earth. I photographed it some years back.