Airfix Lancaster Extras?

Adam Poultney

Just got an Airfix Lancaster kit, which I intend to build as a b.iii (not the b.iii special with the bouncing bomb, just the regular one), is there anything I should know about the kit before I build it (bad fit, inaccurate stuff, etc...), and what aftermarket stuff would be good to get? 

I may get the bomber resuply set in order to put some bombs in the bomb bay.

The only issue I had was closing up around the front of the bomb bay. I had to grind away at the bulkhead and even then I had to use filler. HOWEVER.....this may have been an issue with me and my 3 thumbs

• Like 1

I've not yet built mine so can't advise on any problems, but I'm curious as to why you think there's a likely need for aftermarket stuff?

I used to be big buyer of AM but I've almost entirely given up on it as I build too slowly and aftermarket just adds further time to the build.

Edited by 3DStewart
Typos

I'm just before the painting stage on the new Airfix Dambusters kit. I'd imagine its the same molding, just different parts to put on it. I also used Big Ed, Brassin wheels and Quickboost guns on it. The guns and wheels are necessary additions, but the Big Ed (or rather interior more specifically) isn't really necessary. You can't see a lot of the additions on the inside and the exterior is only a few parts on the wheel bays, intakes and flaps etc. I didn't use the flap details at all. 

As for the fit, it goes together really well. I only had minor filling along the seams, which i put down to my own mistakes. I did find the rear horizontal stabilisers had a couple gaps, more down to the tight fit than anything, but these were easily taken care of. There is also a little bit of filling and sanding to do depending on whether you decide to model the aircraft flaps down, but again, this isn't a huge issue. 

Edited by theclay

8 hours ago, 3DStewart said:

I've not yet built mine so can't advise on any problems, but I'm curious as to why you think there's a likely need for aftermarket stuff?

I used to be big buyer of AM but I've almost entirely given up as I build too slowly and afternarket just adds further time to the build.

Never gone all out of a kit with aftermarket stuff. The most I've since it's bought swastika decals for my me262 (on decalling now). The Lancaster is a big kit with plenty of opportunities to try aftermarket stuff.

Edited by Adam Poultney

3 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

You might consider the Eduard canopy mask set, if you use that kind of thing?

Cheers,

Stew

Normally just use maskol and no primer on canopies. Mistakes rub off easily with a bit of sharpened sprue.

6 hours ago, Procopius said:

I'sd use the Quickboost intakes and gun barrels, as both improve upon the kit parts.

Definitely gun barrels then, I broke the ones on my Defiant so there slightly wonkey

Edit: are they resin? It looks like they are on their website. If they are, are there and metal ones available?

Edited by Adam Poultney

Adam,

I'm currently building the Dambusters issue of this kit. I plumped for the Eduard cockpit etch and Lancaster belts set, with their mask set thrown in for good measure. I'm thinking about the Quickboost set for the intakes, but am going to to try my hand with drill and file first on the kit parts. I have some generic intake screens from Brengun which will be used for the wee mesh guard in front of them. If you're after metal gun barrels, Master do a generic RAF Browning.303 set which comes with 4 barrels.

Mark.