My recovery project

Sandlapper

Hello all! While recovering from my pulmonary emboli I started up the old Tamiya I ausf E. I’m still pretty run down and most of the work done has been done in small 10-15 minute work sessions. I’m building the kit from the box but making a few refinements along the way. I had this kit ages ago as a kid so I’m looking at it differently these days.resized_6907d921-6922-42f2-b400-0b135b1f

One of the refinements has been to thin the smoke discharger brackets.

resized_a537d06f-b43c-4b65-a88b-38bbdb80

They still need more thinning but look heaps better than before. I also filled some holes for a grab handle only the Bovington Tiger had and did away with the front spare track bracket. Now should I build a Citadel das Reich Tiger or a 501st tiger? 🤔

• Like 8

Good work on the Tiger, hope it helps with the recovery. 

Most of my modelling is done in 10-20min bouts as well, purely because its usually all the time I can find inbetween work and home life etc.

Never managed to get around to building a Tiger even though I've a few lurking in the "stash"

Good luck

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

Thank you. It’s the very old Tamiya kit from the late 1960s. Both it and my skills are pitifully wanting compared to the other builds on the site. I have cleaned up the wheels, completed the turret, and almost finished the exhaust system so far. Hopefully in the next day or so I can post some paint progress soon. 

Hello sandlapper ... Don't knock yourself and please don't compare yourself to others. Some of the so called experten will tell you there is stuff about there builds they're not happy with. In my eye all builds are good. Why ? Because you're trying. The best standard to go by is “can i still be happy with this work next week ? Month ? Year ?” If yes then its a good build. If not ask yourself why then try to improve it in your next build ? 

Dennis

• Like 4

Dennis thanks for the encouragement! I have been a kit collector for the last 20 years so my resolve to complete this one has kept me from going down too many rabbit holes. For example in the past I would shelve the kit and wait on the exact RAL coloUr to arrive. I would then move on to the next kit I’d hit a snag with and the cycle would repeat. Well no more! On this Tiger I elected to go for a complete build. So no major modifications no exotic paint scheme no trying to make a 50 year old kit what it isn’t. 

And sitting there complete in primer it looks pretty good to me! More pics to come!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello sandlapper ... Don't knock yourself and please don't compare yourself to others. Some of the so called experten will tell you there is stuff about there builds they're not happy with. In my eye all builds are good. Why ? Because you're trying. The best standard to go by is “can i still be happy with this work next week ? Month ? Year ?” If yes then its a good build. If not ask yourself why then try to improve it in your next build ? 

Dennis

So well said. 

@Sandlapper Looking forward to your progress with that in mind.

• Thanks 1

On 10/18/2018 at 3:31 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Dennis

Ditto Corsair

After every build.....I always say “ well I won’t make those mistakes again”.....then I go and make some new mistakes. Every build is all about the challenge.....but always for the fun of it.......so u plough on Sandpaper and we all have have fun together.....and don’t hesitate to run questions by the team.....👍

Regards

Simon

• Like 1

What Dennis said! I totally agree.

I've started a few kits in the last few decades but I've never finished one. This past January, I started a 1/72 Airfix Hurricane with the aim to finish it. I work slowly ( practically glacial ) but I've kept at it. I've asked here of information and received lots of help/advice. I've had some setback recently ( a wonky gall bladder that was removed last week ) but haven't given up yet.

Just do like Dennis advises and work to your own standard. Do it for yourself.

Chris

Well, I pulled some started kits out. Plan was to begin paint on the Tiger but that didn’t pan out. These are going to be dealt with soon . Two kits I decided not to show as they are “special”

resized_a7e25792-b921-4314-9c65-31b1f19b

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Soeren said:

Is that an old Tamuya grant? I has this kit 89 when I was on a visit in London. 

Yes it is an old Tamiya Grant! Being near death drove me back to my deep youth.  I had been buying up old Tamiya kits. I find them soothing these days. Look for all of those to be finished soon!

• Like 1

Always good to return to childhood models, even if they were ones we could never afford back then. I've got this Tiger in the stash, and the more modern one (in both senses of the word) I also have the 8 tonne semitrack and 88mm (separately) and Semitrack with Flakvierling and I'm looking forward to updating them with PE and other aftermarket stuff. The Quad and Grant I built as a kid, so it's nice to see you're going down the same list of oldies!

I would disagree with some of the previous comments though, and say that we should always  compare our own work to that of others. Certainly, we can be happy with what we've just produced, but the work of those 'better' than us is what inspires us to do even better next time. We see what they've done, what techniques they've used, copy them, learn from them and thereby raise our own skill-levels. Surely, that's why we do this hobby - ultimately to produce 'works of art' to the very best of our capabilities?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing how your Tiger turns out, because as I said I have one in the stash that I will get around to one day. It'll be intersting to see if this 'oldie' can match the newer kits.

Rearguards,

Badder

Everyone will laugh whenever I say this but growing up....

In the US...

In a rural area....

Airfix was an exotic kit that one could only dream of. Especially the big Spitfire! Yeah I was sheltered! In fact, i built 1/48 Monogram and Revell kits until I discovered a Tamiya T-34. That was when we went to the coast and I saw an actual Hobby Shop. Those shelves with tanks and Artillery! Much more interesting than a crummy old P-51!

In time we got Italeri and a name appeared on the box : Francois Verlinden. The man became a mythological creature in my young mind.   Long before the internet I’d go to the library for research (mother was the librarian so I could have some liberties) studying grainy pictures of T-34s and panzer IVs “I wonder what the Italeri Panzer IV is like?” “I’d sell my soul for that flak 88!l” Big questions for a 12 year old. Sweet memories !

Edited by Sandlapper