Sea Vixen - riveting draw and 2" rocket pods

Jurek Greinert

I can't help with the plans, but personally speaking I wouldn't get rivety with this kit and to my mind Trumpeter have definitely over done the rivets on theirs.

A lot of the Sea Vixen construction used Redux bonding and the the rivets that were used were flush.  The overall appearance is pretty smooth.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

You can see from the photo below that there are not a whole lot of traditional rivets per se, but many of the fasteners were steel screws (showing their rust) all over the airframe. And most, if not all of these were flush.  Photo by R.Sutherland.

p10-content.icloud.com:443&x=1&a=BqvjC6G

Those Csk  bolted panels for quick ish access to service and/or remove by  lifting out the engines . There are thousands of  Csk rivets for the rest of the airframe . A bolt together fast jet would weigh too much with added anchor nuts, steel bolts . Its why the rivet was invented . The wings skins are riveted as is nearly everything else from memory , there are  Snap and Mush heads down the back by the jet pipe Beaver tail and a few obscure fittings .  I know DH loved Redux bonding but I can't remember any on the skins and anyway they failed with that method with the Comet 1

I worked on a Vixen in training 1971.

Edited by bzn20