1/72 Airfix F4F-4 Wildcat - FINISHED 09/12/18

PlaStix

This is the kit I am hoping to build, but it will depend on how well I get on finishing my current builds in the Eleventh Hour GB and how much time I have before the Panzer IV STGB starts on December 15th, which I am co-hosting.

31445586588_4a814672a8_b.jpg

It will be a while before I actually start this.

Kind regards ,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 9

Hi @PlaStix

Just seen your pic with the Geoffs toys price tag

Are they still going or have they finally closed as I heard the Coalville one closed and the Loughborough one wasn't going to be far behind 🙁

We had one in Tamworth a few years ago, but that closed, there were always some bargains in there :) 

Ian

• Like 1

23 hours ago, giemme said:

Looking forward to the actual start, then 😉 :popcorn: :beer:

Ciao

Hi Giorgio. Thank you - probably around the 11th November then!

12 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Stix

I am going to build this kit too I will try to start when my P39 will be finished ..in fact I washed the parts yesterday ..

Cheers

Patrice

Good evening Patrice. I look forward to following your progress with yours. If you could start a bit before me I could then just copy what you do! :winkgrin:

26 minutes ago, Redstaff said:

Hi @PlaStix

Just seen your pic with the Geoffs toys price tag

Are they still going or have they finally closed as I heard the Coalville one closed and the Loughborough one wasn't going to be far behind 🙁

We had one in Tamworth a few years ago, but that closed, there were always some bargains in there :) 

Ian

Hi Ian. Unfortunately the last Geoff’s Toy shop in Loughborough closed earlier this year. I managed to go in the day before it actually closed but there wasn’t much left. I managed to get a couple of Airfix kits but there were no paints, glues, brushes, etc. It is a shame it closed. I work in Loughborough so it was handy just to be able to pop in on the way home or at lunchtime. I now have no model related shops with in easy reach at all. The nearest one now is Gee Dee Models in Nottingham but even that’s closing down soon. I bought the Wildcat when this GB was announced.

At this rate there will be no actual model shops at all in the East Midlands area. There was a market stall in Derby that sold a range of kits but I haven’t been for a while so I have no idea if it’s still there.

Ah well.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Unfortunately the last Geoff’s Toy shop in Loughborough closed earlier this year

That's a shame 🙄

I've been in there a few times over the years as I volunteer on the GCR, but I haven't been into town for a couple of years

There's a shop in Sutton coldfield that I haven't been in a while and there used to be a good stall in the indoor market in Burton on trent, but I'm not sure if that's still there. Otherwise we only have a Hobbycraft, which has a bit of a selection, but never what you need 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Giorgio. Thank you - probably around the 11th November then!

Good evening Patrice. I look forward to following your progress with yours. If you could start a bit before me I could then just copy what you do! :winkgrin:

Hi Ian. Unfortunately the last Geoff’s Toy shop in Loughborough closed earlier this year. I managed to go in the day before it actually closed but there wasn’t much left. I managed to get a couple of Airfix kits but there were no paints, glues, brushes, etc. It is a shame it closed. I work in Loughborough so it was handy just to be able to pop in on the way home or at lunchtime. I now have no model related shops with in easy reach at all. The nearest one now is Gee Dee Models in Nottingham but even that’s closing down soon. I bought the Wildcat when this GB was announced.

At this rate there will be no actual model shops at all in the East Midlands area. There was a market stall in Derby that sold a range of kits but I haven’t been for a while so I have no idea if it’s still there.

Ah well.

Kind regards,

Stix

Good morning Stix

I will try to start next week end and will do my best but I am not an expert regarding the Grumman aircraft ..

Cheers

Patrice

• Like 1

On 10/15/2018 at 8:14 PM, PlaStix said:

At this rate there will be no actual model shops at all in the East Midlands area

There is always Clifton Curios at Breedon, he's only open on Sat+Sun and Bank Holiday Mondays but the owner (Mike) is a really nice guy and has a good range of models and if he doesn't have something in stock he will order it for you, and he has a great range of paints too.

Nice to see you building a Wildcat, always had a soft spot for them. Any idea which scheme she will be in yet?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/10/2018 at 22:24, Redstaff said:

That's a shame 🙄

I've been in there a few times over the years as I volunteer on the GCR, but I haven't been into town for a couple of years

There's a shop in Sutton coldfield that I haven't been in a while and there used to be a good stall in the indoor market in Burton on trent, but I'm not sure if that's still there. Otherwise we only have a Hobbycraft, which has a bit of a selection, but never what you need 

Yeah it's not looking good these days for model or toy shops. It is a real shame. 

On 16/10/2018 at 08:01, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Stix

I will try to start next week end and will do my best but I am not an expert regarding the Grumman aircraft ..

Cheers

Patrice

Hi Patrice. Yes this will be my first Grumman build.

On 17/10/2018 at 22:05, modelling minion said:

There is always Clifton Curios at Breedon, he's only open on Sat+Sun and Bank Holiday Mondays but the owner (Mike) is a really nice guy and has a good range of models and if he doesn't have something in stock he will order it for you, and he has a great range of paints too.

Nice to see you building a Wildcat, always had a soft spot for them. Any idea which scheme she will be in yet?

Hi Craig. I have heard about Clifton Curios but not having a car means it would be a bit difficult to get there. I have heard it's supposed to be pretty good though.

Not fully decided on the scheme yet but I'm leaning towards building it 'in flight' if I can. 

On 09/11/2018 at 13:52, wimbledon99 said:

Hi Stix,

You still planing on starting the build this weekend? I'm off to get some popcorn if so!  :wink:

I certainly am and indeed I have!

So I have now finished my build in the Eleventh Hour GB and the results from my efforts can be found here.

Now I'm hoping that this build isn't going to take more than about a month as I'm co-hosting the Pz.IV STGB which starts on 15th December. The chat thread can be found here - please feel free to take part if you'd like - it's looking like it should be a popular Group Build.

I managed to get the sprues washed in warm soapy water yesterday and I took some photos of them this morning:

31958375428_0709118537_b.jpg

44916090665_e718c19d1c_b.jpg

44012432140_2db8857cde_b.jpg

44012431360_3b13c3b2d1_b.jpg

44012431030_9cf6640758_b.jpg

44916104055_01924d6287_b.jpg

45780062212_91c3934f38_b.jpg

As I mentioned above - I'm thinking that it might look good displayed 'in flight' - so I went looking through my bits and pieces box and found some left over Prop Blurs.

45780062772_b39c1105fa_b.jpg

They are a little too big and these are for a four bladed prop, but I can cut them off the central bit and only use three of them.

First job was to cut the parts, for the first few stages of the cockpit, off the sprues - you can see I leave a bit of sprue on  each so I can hold them while I paint them by brush:

45829219071_9c96666657_b.jpg

Then I brush painted the cockpit areas with a couple of thinned coats (with water) of acrylic Humbrol 117:

45829219301_9cd3ed4c41_b.jpg

The pilot figure was given a a couple of thinned coats of Revell's Anthracite.

Next I gave the cockpit parts a very thinned wash of Revell's Gunship Grey. Once dry I used very thinned Anthracite, painted on with a fine, pointed brush, in and around the detail. Finally, when dry, I

dry-brushed on a lightened version of Humbrol 117:

44012471850_cd4cefce34_b.jpg

The detail seems quite nice and shows up quite well under the painting, washes and dry-brushing.

And that's where I decided to stop for the day.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good evening Stix

Very nice start

Cheers

Patrice

Hi Patrice and thank you. I've got a bit to do to catch up with your build of this kit!

Kind regards,

Stix

55 minutes ago, giemme said:

Nice start, Stix :clap: The level of detailing looks really good in this kit :thumbsup2:

Ciao

Hi Giorgio and thank you. Yes it is nicely detailed. Most of the cockpit won't be seen, though, once the pilot is in and the canopy is over it all.

20 minutes ago, FalkeEins said:

..it's a lovely little kit, I'm sure you'll do a great job!

It does seem good so far and thank you.

5 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

Lovely start, Stix.

I'm going to have to find a kit and join you're Panzer GB if you'll have me!! 

Hi Nigel. Thank you and yes it would be great to have you take part in the Pz.IV STGB. I will add you to the list. Hope you manage to find a suitable kit!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Another great start Stix, all bodes very well for the rest of the build.

Thank you very much Craig.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 12/11/2018 at 11:32, MarkSH said:

Again your paint treatment is bringing the plastic to life, great work.

Hi Mark and thank you for your comments. The detail does seem to come out quite nicely although, in a couple of places, the detail is a little 'soft' and doesn't show up as well as it could. The little blocks on the fuselage sides are not particlularly well defined but I suppose they won't be really seen once it's all buttoned up under the canopy.

Yesterday evening I did do a little more on this project - mostly painting little bits of detail in the cockpit area. No photos though at this stage.

Kind regards,

Stix

Over the past couple of evenings I have painted a bit of the detail on the parts for the cockpit and added the decals:

31995727308_c28f151a22_b.jpg

Once the decals had been given a coat of thinned Humbrol matt varnish I started assembling the cockpit tub - I left the Instrument Panel unit off for this photo:

45866916111_4a71687956_b.jpg

Then a few photos with everything in place:

45817540962_eec6fc891b_b.jpg

45866915341_c57e4a6bac_b.jpg

45817540722_2b26590f4f_b.jpg

30927793497_c87c7781cc_b.jpg

30927792927_8c55e9ae17_b.jpg

It is quite nicely detailed for 1/72 but I do wish Airfix would make a bit more effort with the design of their cockpit decals. I know they're not going to be seen that much but the blobby white dials and buttons don't look great. The decals themselves do conform well to the raised detail on the plastic with the addition of some Decalfix.

I was also thinking I might add a few cables here and there but, once the pilot is in place, I know even less is going to be visible - so I dididn't bother.

I'm aiming to try and have the fuselage sealed up by the weekend.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 8

40 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

It is quite nicely detailed for 1/72 but I do wish Airfix would make a bit more effort with the design of their cockpit decals. I know they're not going to be seen that much but the blobby white dials and buttons don't look great.

I agree the decals could have been better - nonetheless, for 1/72 you reached a truly remarkable result, outstanding I would say! :worthy:  :clap: 

Too bad it's not going to be seen, once everything is buttoned up, but we all know it's there, don't we? :winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 1

On 14/11/2018 at 12:43, giemme said:

I agree the decals could have been better - nonetheless, for 1/72 you reached a truly remarkable result, outstanding I would say! :worthy:  :clap: 

Too bad it's not going to be seen, once everything is buttoned up, but we all know it's there, don't we? :winkgrin:

Ciao

Hi Giorgio and thank you for your comments. It is one of the problems with cockpits - we do all this work in them and then only the photos are proof anything has been done! Ah well..........

On 14/11/2018 at 16:22, dogsbody said:

Your cockpit detailing looks great. Nicely done.

Chris

Hi Chris and thank you.

On 14/11/2018 at 17:34, Hewy said:

Doh, just saw you've made a start, and as usual a fine one, 72nd too, 👍👍

Thank you very much Glynn.

Well I have been busy over the past few evenings and today. The fuselage has been glued together. It was probably me but I had a bit of a job aligning all the panel lines which cross the join. To get the ones on the top to be more in line some of the ones underneath seem to be slightly out. Oh well.........:

44095320020_d3ccc209ca_b.jpg

I have done a bit of re-scribing of the lower panel lines:

44095319310_1ba868e568_b.jpg

45861908182_4b443f2461_b.jpg

As I'm planning on displaying this build in flight I thought it might be better to have some of the control surfaces look a bit more active - so I scored the lower length of the join of the elevators on the stabilisers. This allowed me to bend the elevators up a little:

45861908372_155defe8d7_b.jpg

I also had to cut, with a scalpel blade, the small section at the end of each elevator to allow the elevator to move.

Then the wings were glued together:

45861907552_4ea998eae6_b.jpg

.........and, once set, these were glued to the fuselage:

45871280642_887ff1b5c1_b.jpg

45008333345_3ddb82507e_b.jpg

As you can see I fitted the ailerons at an angle as well:

45196677194_2c7fe6dd3e_b.jpg

45871279292_09dccdd385_b.jpg

I have also been working on the engine - thinned Revell's Anthracite applied first:

45861907932_421af5c9b6_b.jpg

Once dry these were dry-brushed with Revell's Aluminium:

44095318710_da4ce5728c_b.jpg

Then the details were painted on the front section:

44108293770_3cf3d8f4cd_b.jpg

Rear section of the engine fitted to the fuselage:

45871280162_8ca6c0f87f_b.jpg

Front section glued on:

45196677714_d18fdc057f_b.jpg

.....and then hidden by the cowling:

45008332775_b399ea5151_b.jpg

I also started work on adapting the spinner to take the Prop Blurs - I removed the original prop blades and then used a n X-Acto  saw to cut the slots to take the ends of the replacement props:

30984957707_4a8c1601af_b.jpg

More tomorrow I hope.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 10