B-17G 'OUTHOUSE MOUSE' 323rd Squadron, 91st Bomb Group - COMPLETED

MarkSH

Afternoon all,

Some final progress on Outhouse Mouse for 2018:

I've primed all over with Tamiya Fine rattle can primer. It's been mild and windless enough for me to spray outside, I'd forgotten what fresh air was like even mixed with spray can fumes! Anyway back inside I used various mixes of Stynylrez White, Grey and Black primers to get the shading effects I was after:

32668244528_9e5374acd2_b.jpg

On the top surfaces I have sprayed the panel centres with white primer. I am going for a heavily UV bleached Olive Drab, almost to a lightish brown so I won't be putting it down to thickly I am also considering trying out some salt weathering to break it up even further.

32668244258_0549bb2004_b.jpg

The underside surfaces have been loosely panel lined with grey and black I have also sprayed the areas of wing staining.

There are some lost panel lines to re-instate and few sanding scratches to get rid of but hopefully I will be getting some proper colour on soon.

Hope you all have a great new year's eve and of course a brilliant 2019.

Cheers, 

Mark.

• Like 9

Evening all,

I have made further progress on the 'mouse despite a cold and an extremely annoying and reticent airbrush! I must have stripped the flippin' thing down 4 or 5 times in the last couple of days, anyway, progress:

45690164475_d80e7ae638_b.jpg

The underside has been sprayed with straight Tamiya XF-83 Medium Sea Grey and a little bit of engine staining with the same darkened with XF-1 Black and XF-52 Flat Earth.

45690164145_0ed26669d7_b.jpg

The topside is sprayed with my own mix of XF-62 Olive Drab, XF-52 Flat Earth and XF-60 Dark Yellow. However it is only a base coat and I intend to modify it with some oil paint (I decided time was too short to go around experimenting with salt weathering, so I'll stick to a tried and tested method). Once again the staining is a darkened tone of the base colour with some X-19 sprayed over the top but I'll have to re-visit that as the effect was lost under the subsequent layers but that's the advantage of fitting the engine cowlings after painting, talking of which:

45690163425_25268fb9bd_b.jpg

The engine cowlings have been hand painted using the same mixes, the lower one has been weathered (Tamiya X-19 smoke for some staining) and some chipping applied.

45690163915_ea17119c34_b.jpg

The vertical tail panel is a brush painted mix of Tamiya XF-61 Dark Green and XF-27 Black green plus a drop of White. The De-icing boots have been painted in but they need knocking back quite a lot. The gloss coat has been applied; two coats of Klear brushed on....

45690164745_77fea98e63_b.jpg

..and the major decals settling down reasonably well, They're a mix of the kit set and the specific markings from the Kits-World set. There are now a fair few smaller stencils to apply before I can get on with the really fun bit and start putting oil paint on my 3D, B-17 shaped canvas.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 9

Hello all,

A little progress with the oil paint application:

45753351395_801b8b893f_b.jpg

The port top side is very nearly complete a little more blending-in to do. I have dabbed on a mix of yellow ochre and titanium white and then scrubbed it into the surface with an old brush. The panel edges were darkened using a dry brush and Tamiya weathering master soot whilst the oil was still wet and then blended in. The engine oil staining was done with weathering master oil stain, soot and a little bit of snow over the airbrushed stain. I haven't applied any oil paint to the horizontal stabilizers yet as I noticed that I have forgotten to paint the black leading edges.

45753351995_53a117ac7e_b.jpg

Some of the panel lines have been further picked out using a fine slightly damp brush and the weathering master soot again. The oil paint stays workable for a fair while so if there's an area that I'm not entirely happy with I can blend further or apply more oil to soften the underlying effects. I'm not sure about the specifics of Outhouse Mouse's appearance as I can only find images of her nose but I have based the weathering on similarly faded and war weary machines.

Anyway, Starboard side tomorrow and then some more limited oil paint on the underside.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 9

Just a quick couple of photos of the Starboard top side oil paint:

46693261881_3204bc0a43_b.jpg

The fabric covered surfaces are supposed to be a Pale Olive Drab according to the paint instructions so I used much more Yellow Ochre in the oil paint filter.

46693262141_cc29d84d9f_b.jpg

I tried adding a bit more burnt sienna to the mix to try to get the purple brown bleaching effect I've read about.  I stippled it into the panel centres of the top most surfaces.

I'll let the top side oil paint dry for a couple of days before doing the underside, whilst the oil paint is drying fairly quickly it is still quite a delicate surface.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 9

Evening chaps,

I'm really glad we've got an extension to the GB. Overall I have been quite happy with this Revell kit but I have to say that the undercarriage (once again!) is the weak point of the whole experience. I thought that the indistinct fitment of the engines and cowlings was bad enough but the undercarriage is worse and very delicate to boot. It took a fair chunk of time to persuade them into place and then get them reasonably well aligned, however they are in and the 'mouse is on its feet.

46756383071_4f851dc5e0_b.jpg

The underside has been given a much more restrained oil paint treatment the superchargers and exhausts have been fitted as have the bomb bay doors:

46756382021_3254ae7404_b.jpg

The engines and cowlings have been fitted:

46756382901_016e9a3a9d_b.jpg

The pieces of plastic rod emanating from the fuselage are the 'pegs' tensioning and holding the antenna wires in place, the same has been done at the two attachment points on the tail. when fully cured they'll be carefully trimmed and touched up.

46756382231_f860ffac23_b.jpg

I have also fitted the aerial mast root stay from a twisted loop of 0.2mm copper wire and fed the antenna through it.

Additionally I have been continuing with the Airfix USAAF Bomber re-supply set to go onto the display, the Chevrolet bomb truck is weathered, I just need to bring it's trailer to the same level, construction of the Autocar tractor unit and the fuel trailer is on-going.

46756382401_9c4134a8e8_b.jpg

46756382641_a8dff1d412_b.jpg

I will have to get on with the display base at the weekend....time, even extended time, marches on!

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 8

Evening all,

Had a bit of a play around with the display base for Outhouse Mouse this weekend.

I wanted to make a sort of generic airfield base that I could use for some other of the larger 1/72 scale kits I have In the to do pile; Lancaster, Stirling, Whitley and the like so I made the diameter of the hardstand at approximately 135ft which I believe is somewhere in the middle of the range, according to google maps, the extant 'frying pans' at Bassingbourn are about 150ft. (45m). I have made the individual concrete blocks to about 15x20ft.

46817812841_0cdd0cf3b4_b.jpg

I had a bit of plywood left over from some DIY and it seemed a good size at 20x17.5" and like @TonyW with the inclusion of the re-supply set I didn't want it to be too crowded. Above I have described the curve of the 'Frying pan' and have applied some PVA.

46817813161_4948cd9622_b.jpg

Here I have applied a thin layer of Polyfilla and have smoothed it out with a palette knife.

46817812131_1c00f17812_b.jpg

Here, whilst the Polyfilla was still wet I used a straight edge to make the concrete block joins and then used a piece of plastic to create the 'tamped' effect. When this was dry more Polyfilla was applied to the grass area and left with a rougher and slightly more raised texture.

The concrete was panted flat black all over and then dry brushed with Tamiya Buff and Medium Grey. The grass area was panted all over with a Burnt Umber and Sienna mix of acrylic paint when that was dry a liberal coat of PVA was applied and various tone of flock grass was added.

46817812311_d496b60f25_b.jpg

The edges of the joins have been darkened with weathering powder and some oil stains dropped onto the surface using thinned Tamiya smoke.

46817812501_5fbcdf09fa_b.jpg

Just a few details to address with the B-17 and a final decision on the overall finish for the paint work, nearly there.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon everyone,

Just trying to get all the ancillary bits finished to go on my B-17 display. I have just been putting the finishing touches to the Autocar U-7144-T and F-1 fuel trailer to go with the Chevrolet bomb truck and trailer. All that's left to do is the actual point of the whole effort, the bombs themselves and then I can hopefully take some daylight pictures.....if we actually get any daylight that is!!

46886544242_47f2da1b47_b.jpg

46886543932_58b3166f09_b.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

That ground equipment set looks lovely, Mark!

VP, Its a really nicely detailed little kit, although I haven't bothered with the third vehicle in the set. I have ordered the equivalent RAF set to go with my Lancaster for the STGB next year.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Indeed, that's next year already! I'm afraid the Night and Day- proposal didn't live long enough :weep:.

Yes, a shame about the Night and Day GB I had hoped to do my newly acquired Italeri Stirling for that. We should give it a bump and see what happens.

• Haha 1