B-17G 'OUTHOUSE MOUSE' 323rd Squadron, 91st Bomb Group - COMPLETED

MarkSH

This will be my build of 'Outhouse Mouse' a B-17G that survived the war and was returned to the USA using the Revell 1/72 G kit:

31444305628_569dedf8b3_b.jpg

31444307588_9cbed7583d_b.jpg

I know the decal instructions state both 1/72 and 1/48 its a typo the decals are at 1/72...phew

31444306798_667974e4d9_b.jpg

I won't be using any aftermarket stuff but will try and add some additional detail from scratch.

Haven't built a heavy for donkey's years so should be interesting.

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

So far 100% Revell B-17G in 1:72 scale, welcome Mark! V-P

And both of them with modified boxes, you'd have thought they'd have learnt by now!

• Haha 2

• MarkSH changed the title to B-17G 'OUTHOUSE MOUSE' 323rd Sqadron, 91st Bomb Group

I suggest you one thing I have been thinking about; building a mid-to-late F (before the chin turret and cheek bay windows, but with some nose guns through the plexiglass etc. field improvements) heavily weathered and a long row of mission markings; for its company an early G fresh from America, with both planes from the same squadron. Just think of old Shamrock Special (LL-Z) with young Little Patches (LL-L). I do have a Plan B lead from this but not quite like it... V-P

Edit: I browsed through 323rd BS planes at AAM. Their B-17F:s didn't last long :sad:

I’ve been looking at the available pictures of Outhouse Mouse and considering doing it heavily weathered as it does look well use. Very keen to get some serious variation in the OD!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I've made a start on my B-17 at last, not much but a start at least:

30663054987_f6ed6b3472_c.jpg

I have added some extra detail to the seats, some lead tape seat belts and armour plating? and the cushions. I have also made a crude take on the oxygen bottle just enough detail to apply a bit of colour and wash to. There are numerous instances of the O2 bottles around the B-17 but surprisingly, none included in the kit. My intention is to use some Blue Stuff Thermoplastic to make some press mould Milliput replicas especially for the cockpit area.

30663055797_7ed80212eb_c.jpg

I have made a start on the cockpit and have added a suggestion of the multiple levers and controls on the central console.

30663055477_16b1f3d07e_c.jpg

I've also started the construction of the Bomb bay and spar assembly.

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Good start! I seriously considered buying the Quickboost resin oxygen tanks (14 for £4) but then decided not to. V-P

Less than six quid for the blue stuff which can be re-used for different projects and by the time the fuselage is closed up you won't see that much detail anyway, so I figured that was the way to go!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

Just a little progress on the interior, I've been too busy ogling kits both made and un-made at SMW today.

44901736185_e4679443a2_b.jpg

I've added the oxygen bottles (the upper turret ammo boxes and gubbins will fit in between them, just!), seat belts and a fire extinguisher in the flight deck. In the nose compartment I've added the ammunition boxes, the flexible feed chutes are made out of solder rolled flat and knurled, I have left them over length so they are ready to trim and mate with the .50s when they're fitted. I also had a go at the Navigator's lamp and headphones. I may add in the Bomb Aimer's controls on the port front of the deck as they'll be quite prominent in the nose glazing.

As you can see Outhouse Mouse is going to be a well used and dirty girl!

30874794897_f2527e10ff_b.jpg

Instrument panel and centre console.

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 9

Great work Mark! Did you too use those extra F-model waist gun ammo boxes for cheek guns or are they all scratch built? I've been scratching my boldish head for the last few hours, trying to come up with a solution for how to represent those ammo belts. If you don't mind, I say a big "thank you" and buy a roll of solder! V-P

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Great work Mark! Did you too use those extra F-model waist gun ammo boxes for cheek guns or are they all scratch built? I've been scratching my boldish head for the last few hours, trying to come up with a solution for how to represent those ammo belts. If you don't mind, I say a big "thank you" and buy a roll of solder! V-P

VP, for the ammo boxes I just chopped up some 2mm styrene sheet and super-glued the solder 'tape' to the top, once its fixed the solder is very easy to manipulate and bend around curves.

Mark.

• Like 2

• MarkSH changed the title to B-17G 'OUTHOUSE MOUSE' 323rd Squadron, 91st Bomb Group
  • 4 weeks later...

Evening all,

Carrying on with Outhouse Mouse after a pause in proceedings. There sure are a lot of bits to prep prior to putting the fuselage halves together and as others have mentioned in their threads there are an awful lot of components that just will not be seen or indeed actually hinder assembly, as @modelling minion found with the tail .50s which are just not worth fitting! Anyway I'm nearly there, The clear parts have been 'Kleared' and are ready for the external masking and in some cases having the interior colours applied before gluing them in place:

45567014184_a675543a8c_b.jpg 

I'm leaving the Bomb aimers sight and some other nosey bits and pieces out until I have fitted the side clear panels and MGs so I can get tweezers in to manipulate the ammunition feed chutes into position without hinderance...he said hopefully!  Otherwise its nearly ready to button up.

I have also been working on the wing assemblies and they are nearly ready to be glued together also, although I think it may be better to not fit the ailerons until I'm into the painting phase, it would be a simple case of removing the retaining bars on the hinge points and then just slide fitting and posing each aileron when I'm ready. I'm also going to leave the engines and cowlings off until the painting is complete as I feel that the engine/cowling mounting is not at all positive and one could easily be knocked off at an inopportune moment and it will also save some masking effort.

45567013954_728899b1d5_b.jpg

The engines and other bits and pieces have been painted up and weathered ready to be fitted after the main painting has been done. I tried out a little experiment with the supercharger exhaust weathering which is quite prominent. In advance of the upcoming
Panzer IV GB I bought some of AK's track wash which I applied over Tamiya neutral grey, I then used Tamiya's weathering powders (soot, rust, burnt red and blue). I did something similar with the engines. The track wash seems a good colour and I can see multiple uses for it.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 9

Mark your interior looks superb, really like the wood grain effect.

The exhausts and superchargers look fantastic, very realistic.

You're dead right about what will be visible when the fuselage halves are closed together, not much at all! Same goes for the engines when the cowlings are on (not the best or most positive fit), next to nothing is visible.

Craig.

• Like 1

I think Minion nailed it in his comment -- love the interior and wood grain is very eyecatching. Exhausts look great too. And nice color choice on the tires.

To preserve the memories of your hard work, make sure to take one last set of high-quality pics station by station before you close it up. That's my plan as I get closer to sealing the fuselage forever.

• Like 1

Evening chaps,

The last internal details and glazing have been installed so the wing assemblies and fuselage have been put together (wings only dry fitted at the moment) all in all they all went together fairly accurately, I had a bit of a panic with the fuselage as there was quite a prominent gap at the mid upper area, but a bit of wiggling, an audible click and a reluctant bulkhead obviously gave it up as a waste of effort and the two halves went together...phew! not too bad, no unsightly steps, a couple of areas will need a little filler but actually quite pleased. even the nose glazing appears to fit quite nicely.

46370873101_c141ef47df_b.jpg

The instructions would have you fit the complete .50s, barrels and all into the side nose panels prior to gluing the two fuselage halves, but that's asking for trouble, so I chopped off the barrels, fitted the body of the guns and will re-fit the barrels after the masking and painting is complete I noticed that on some aircraft fabric 'boots' were fitted at the base of the barrels so I might make some up to help provide a more substantial gluing point.

After making sure that I'm going to get a nice joint at the wing roots, the question to all those doing the Revell B-17 is; what about the dihedral? it looks a little flat to me, I know its not excessive, maybe just ensuring that the wingtips are adequately taped when glue is eventually applied will be enough. What do we think?

46370873211_f535d0b22e_b.jpg

A fair bit of masking to clear parts to do before starting the filling, sanding and cleaning-up process.

46370872951_999e7f52f7_b.jpg

Still lots to do, but I'm feeling a little better about the progress now.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I trust that you've all had a peaceful and enjoyable Christmas and are raring to go for the New Year!

I finally managed to steal myself and get on with all the clear part masking and gluing (one of my least favourite tasks!) anyway they're all, in the cockpit glazing is still setting and will require some minor blending in. Overall however I am quite impressed with the Revell kit it does seem to fit together very nicely. The fuselage has not yet required any filler, save for the minimal join lines of the upper nose. I also have fitted the main planes and again the flush join and spars worked very well and I'm hopeful that no filler will be required top or bottom.

32642460038_56f6499d70_b.jpg

I had some spare time to have a go at the Airfix USAAF Bomber Re-supply kit as well and here's the M6 Bomb Truck from the set, not quite finished yet but I'm quite pleased with it and it should add some interest to the display:

32642459628_b1008af636_b.jpg

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 7