Airfix 1/72 Grumman J2F-6 Duck - COMPLETED

MarkSH

My second build for the GB will be another old Airfix kit of the J2F-6 Duck built as the 'Planes of fame' U.S. Marines aircraft 33594 so it'll be a nice clean airshow presentation looking machine as per this:

30379420137_c2f1d0cb61.jpg

Copyright Eric Van Gilder.

45269623322_593de73635_b.jpg

Not much at all in this box, decals not required I'll be doing my own.

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 19

Looking forward to this one. I think I built this kit a couple of times, I seem to remember it as quite a nice one. I could do with one of these in 1/48, I think it would make quite an impressive model.

I am intending to go with the same - old Airfix Duck... Plus two other amphibias.  I am not decided yet about the scheme and version, Duck was one of my very first 1/72 model, namely I think the second one just after Spit IX, also by Airfix. And I was 9... :) (exactly 50 years ago). 

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

I thought I'd better make a start on the Duck, besides which I need a break from trying to stick foil to the Lunar Module!

I started as per usual with the cockpit, the detail is a little sparse so I added some more shape to the front and rear seats as well as some suggestion of the structure of the aircraft to the side walls once the very thick canopy is fitted not a lot will be seen so I think it'll do.

43852673180_c0f6e3f784_c.jpg

I've brushed on  a first coat of 'green', the instructions call for Hu80 which I don't have so I mixed up some Hu78 acrylic with Tamiya XF-26 Deep Green.  Apparently my subject aircraft, the planes of fame example does not have an 'authentic' cockpit which is a cause for regret to Kermit Weeks who has said he'd do it differently if he had chance, oh well I'll do it as he would wish it to be. Another coat and some masking tape seat belts and it'll be enough.

Some detail that will be visible on the finished model is the engine. I have dry brushed it, which has picked out some of the quite nice moulded detail but I decided to add some hint of the wiring:

43852673110_6b526d1d86_c.jpg

I've used 0.4 lead wire for the ring and 0.2mm copper wire for the harnesses.

Cheers,  Mark.

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all,

The Duck is finally getting some attention, I have buttoned up the fuselage and assembled the top wing as well as drilling the holes to receive the rigging:

44127055750_89e252a099_b.jpg

44127056030_9032bed374_b.jpg

The joins were from perfect and required a lot of filling and cleaning up so a fair bit of the riveting has been lost, some remedial detail will have to be attempted.

44127056200_2beb6b5c26_b.jpg

I used the top wing assembly to set the substantial dihedral for the lower wings.

44127056940_fe8369bb3c_b.jpg

The clear parts are... well not really very clear at all but I masked them before trying to blend them in to the fuselage.

44127056560_25a592e03c_b.jpg

To blend the canopy in, I used very thin Milliput sausages, which were smoothed out with Isopropanol. I have applied the first coat of Primer and as you can see there is a lot of detail to re-instate on the top surfaces of both the float and fuselage.

Not bad progress and despite its shortcomings I think its captures the shape of the Duck quite well, however I believe the canopy line is too low if I make another? I will certainly think about addressing the height of the canopy.

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 11

• MarkSH changed the title to Airfix 1/72 Grumman J2F-6 Duck

Evening all,

One step forward, two steps back....

I have applied an all over coat of Vallejo metal colour aluminium for the metal areas of the Duck, I will use the same paint with some white added for the fabric areas, that went well:

45924180332_ce441efc93_b.jpg

45924180032_773a83c348_b.jpg

However some of you will notice that the canopy is no longer evident and that constitutes one of today's backward steps! it was in all honesty a complete disaster which I couldn't live with. It was so thick, it would have acted like a prism...….if it had been clear enough! I also managed to fog it with some cement so it has been removed and plan B is to be set in motion:

45924180572_4f37a713f8_b.jpg

I made a small balsa support and the 'cleaned' up canopy will be vac formed....hopefully, well it really can't be any worse than the amorphous blob above!

I have also painted the upper wing and started to paint the chevron that's gone alright, except:

45924181182_53ef34d6cf_b.jpg

45249343514_5b27da8f27_b.jpg

Yes yellow paint bled along the support, make that three steps back.

…..and I have painted the cowling in the same red (two thinned coats of XF-7 and two thinned coats of X-7, although the still all yellow prop suggests that the whole model should be consigned to toy town!

45924181502_7efb15be9e_b.jpg

Ahem...you will also notice the absence of the detailing on the engine, you know the distributor ring and harnesses? so did I......God alone knows where they are!? one minute they were there and the next.....bloody carpet monster and that constitutes another of the steps backward....its really gone well today :deadhorse:

Cheers, Disgruntled of Cheltenham.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 3

Hello all,

So I had a go at vac forming a replacement canopy for the Duck using 0.5mm PETG:

45278531754_3386afb05b_b.jpg

Its not bad, the detail is obviously a little soft but there's enough to use as a guide for some paint. and overall it's a hell of a lot clearer that the kit part!

45278531604_2832537e36_b.jpg

Silver paint applied.

45278531824_b605383f73_b.jpg

See! there is a cockpit in there.

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 12

Just applied a couple of coats of Klear to the main body of the model prior to decaling which'll have to be done before the rigging, Also took the opportunity to check the fit of the upper wing:

45280206584_3f1b10d9f0_b.jpg

45280206314_befe72bc99_b.jpg

Also finished creating and printed out the decals which I'll lacquer tomorrow:

45280206004_0dccb98efe_b.jpg

As usual the colours have come out too bright in the .jpg the print is much more restrained.

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 14

Evening all,

Not much to report but I have managed to re-instate the 'lost' engine detailing, don't you hate having to do something twice!:

46077266491_da5f1986ef_b.jpg

I have also added a ring of plastic rod inside the cowling to set the whole engine back a little bit as it sits much to far forward.

I am also in the process of applying the decals, they're going on OK and settle down quite nicely with Set and Sol however they do require trimming and touching up in a few places.

46077266951_3f4da08716_b.jpg

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 6

Ive always loved the Duck. I built a few of them back in the 80’s in 1/48 scale. I think they were williams bros. kits ? Wish i could find one of these though. I’ll have to put it into my Christmas list. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1