Airfix 1/72 Lunar Excursion Module LM-5 Apollo 11 'Eagle' - COMPLETED

MarkSH

Morning all,

I haven't had much modelling time over the last few days as I have been doing some 1:1 re-modelling of my work room to make it more me friendly, some more shelves and a fold away bench for the airbrush booth.

Anyway back to the GB and this morning I changed tack a little and decided to paint my Polyfilla moon with oil paints instead of airbrushing it:

31723365108_2b5930898b_c.jpg

I have added some Polyfilla moon rocks and primed the whole lot with Halfords grey primer. I then used un-thinned Titanium White, Burnt Sienna, Ultramarine Blue and Winsor Red to create varying tones of Grey and blended them all together with a soft brush I added in some 'False' shadows and highlights to the rocks and crater as well as a suggestion of the Descent motor scouring,. It's all a bit shiny at the moment but it'll dull down as the oil paint dries out, which will take some time so I can get on with the LEM it self.

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 11

Hello all,

I have managed to get some time to add some more details and paint to the LEM:

Some detail has been added to the Rendezvous radar above the forward hatch, The prominent 'Strap' on the port side of the hatch has been added and painted white (I have not been able to find out what it is yet). I have added the docking window and foiled the forward VHF antenna support.

44752812545_0de98d86dd_c.jpg

I'm in the process of detailing the docking target as you can see it's not attached yet:

44752812135_640f17dc3a_c.jpg

So far only one of the landing legs is approaching completion, it's a very fiddly task and I can only manage a couple of minutes at a time before frustration sets in, I'm using wine bottle foil for the conical wrappings on the top struts, but I don't think I have enough....what am I going to do!?

44752812735_b3d236251c_c.jpg

More later, cheers, Mark

• Like 12

🎼Three legs on my lander...just one more to go!

Evening all,  jeez this foiling lark is a pain in the proverbials!

44804700665_f033fc8646_c.jpg

Getting there.... Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins had got there, did the other thing and were shaking hands with Tricky Dicky in the time its taken me to foil these legs! 

The Ascent stage is progressing also:

44804699995_43674b488b_c.jpg

The S-band antenna bracket (left as viewed) has been foiled and attached, A new EVA VHF antenna (rear) has been scratched and fitted and the Docking Target (right) has been fitted and painted.

So one leg, one more VHF antenna to fit to the rear and then I can mate the two stages and try to get a good finish on the four plume deflectors and stays.

P.S. the oil paint on the base still isn't dry!

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

On 21/10/2018 at 11:24, MarkSH said:

According to one source on the coatings for the whole LEM there are; as well as the bare aluminium, 'clad' aluminium, bare epoxy fibreglass, bare silicone fibreglass, beta fabric, six types of foil, well I can't represent them all so I cut it back to three; plain gold, amber gold and aluminium. To get the amber gold effect, I liberally over-painted the plain gold foil with Tamiya X-26 clear orange, the aluminium is Sainsbury's 'basics' ultra thin and useless for the purposes of cooking, but great for foiling models kitchen foil.

On 21/10/2018 at 19:52, MarkSH said:

I've added some ribbing to the door area and fitted a blank to the door orifice, the actual door will be detailed before being glued in place later. I have also added the four RCS cluster blocks which have been liberally coated in Mr Surfacer and textured with an old brush, in reality they were, like a lot of the LEM covered in foil, but I couldn't get the foil to stick solidly enough so compromised, they're going to be painted black anyway.

Rear view with panel lines and metal buckling effect added. Some ribbing detail needs to be added below the rear panel.

On 22/10/2018 at 20:59, MarkSH said:

I have added some ribbing to the underside of the ascent stage and I have started the detail painting, although with so many conflicting 'takes' on how the LEM was covered, clad and 'painted' its going to be a rough interpretation at best.

Extra ribbing detail.

Mark, you are doing an epic job on this and I'm fascinated by all the colour and surface detail coming in. (Now I'm wishing I could do my own previous build all over again!). Enjoying this. All the best. Mike

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

Mark, you are doing an epic job on this and I'm fascinated by all the colour and surface detail coming in. (Now I'm wishing I could do my own previous build all over again!). Enjoying this. All the best. Mike

Thanks Mike, I'm enjoying re-visiting this old kit. We had a family built, well mainly my Dad built version way back in the early seventies when Apollo was still ongoing so lots of happy memories.

• Like 1

Evening all,

Small update, I have finished foiling the legs Huzzah!! and I have now mated the Descent and Ascent stages. I have just fitted the RCS plume deflectors and the six stays per deflector, once those are cured properly, as they are a tad delicate, I can finish off the detail painting and get on with the display mount, only then can I fit the three landing pads with the contact probes.

30958068997_14b0d09af1_b.jpg

45847269382_a0ca499acd_b.jpg

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 8

Evening all,

Very nearly done with the LEM one small element to add but won't be able to do that until the weekend. Setting the model on the stand was a nerve wracking experience to say the least:

44157717740_95bac98aeb_b.jpg

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 9

Afternoon all,

I am going to call a halt to this one now, a wee experiment with a depiction of the rocket/thrust plume came to nought so there's nothing left to add, pictures in the gallery shortly:

44197424750_37593b45d5_b.jpg

Thanks for looking in and to the Host and Co-hosts for another very enjoyable GB.

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 13

• MarkSH changed the title to Airfix 1/72 Lunar Excursion Module LM-5 Apollo 11 'Eagle' - COMPLETED

Hi Mark. That really did turn out beutifully. I do like all the extra work you did with the foil and additional detailing. Absolutly brilliant! And a great display base too! :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1