Rollie goes doodlebug hunting

This is the Academy 1/72 Hawker Tempest with Master gun barrels, PE stiffener plates around the rear fuselage and after market decals painted with Mission Models acrylics. The V1 is from Modelcollect, painted with Mr Color lacquers and the base is from Coastal Kits. He's not really flying that low, it's foreshortening from the telephoto lens of the chase plane causing an optical illusion :) 

It's a bit of a difficult subject to photograph so my apologies for the photos.

IMG_4594-L.jpg

IMG_4596-L.jpg

IMG_4597-L.jpg

IMG_4599-L.jpg

IMG_4606-L.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 60

1 minute ago, Hairtrigger said:

Brilliant!!  How did you do the propeller effect?   

It's quite simply a disk of the appropriate diameter cut out of thin plastic. I had intended to attempt a prop blur but in the end just wanted to finish and move on to the next build.

Duncan B

5 hours ago, Duncan B said:

It's quite simply a disk of the appropriate diameter cut out of thin plastic. I had intended to attempt a prop blur but in the end just wanted to finish and move on to the next build.

Duncan B

Hi,

Great build! I too am interested in the prop as I"m trying to do one for a 1/72nd Mosquito. If I may ask, what kind of thin plastic did you use? and what did you do use do the actual cut?

Andrew

• Thanks 1

My lord there are some creative chaps on this forum, this has turned out wonderfully well indeed. It looks great from every angle although Rolly must have been very brave to dice with this explosive thing at that height!! 

Hat’s off Duncan - you have achieved true art in my favoured 1/72 form. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Andrewvft said:

Hi,

Great build! I too am interested in the prop as I"m trying to do one for a 1/72nd Mosquito. If I may ask, what kind of thin plastic did you use? and what did you do use do the actual cut?

Andrew

Hi Andrew, thanks for your comments. The prop was made from clear PVC bought at Hobbycraft in the UK but manufactured by www.midwestproducts.com in the US . The cut was made with a Compass Cutter which might also be available at Hobbycraft in their model tools section.

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

My lord there are some creative chaps on this forum, this has turned out wonderfully well indeed. It looks great from every angle although Rolly must have been very brave to dice with this explosive thing at that height!! 

Hat’s off Duncan - you have achieved true art in my favoured 1/72 form. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Hi Dave, thanks for your comments. The apparent lack of height is an optical illusion (foreshortening) caused by the telescopic lens on the chase plane's camera 😁.

Duncan B

• Like 1

That looks great - although I wouldn't like to be engaging a V1 at such low level.

The prop effect is great and to me is the best way of achieving a rotating propeller.

How did you do the blurred terrain?

• Thanks 1

Absolutely superb.  A great effect not to mention a beautiful finish on the Tempest, nice and clean like a Wing Commander's should be. 

Just one small point though.  Beamont hated being called 'Rollie'.  His usual nickname was 'Bea'.  I got that from the horse's mouth.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

That looks great - although I wouldn't like to be engaging a V1 at such low level.

The prop effect is great and to me is the best way of achieving a rotating propeller.

How did you do the blurred terrain?

The base is from Coastal Kits who I can highly recommend. All I had to do was to stick the base to a piece of MDF and drill the holes for the clear rods.

35 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Absolutely superb.  A great effect not to mention a beautiful finish on the Tempest, nice and clean like a Wing Commander's should be. 

Just one small point though.  Beamont hated being called 'Rollie'.  His usual nickname was 'Bea'.  I got that from the horse's mouth.

I didn't weather the Tempest very much because my research for this aircraft stated that it had been freshly painted back at the Factory to trial the invasion stripes (which is why I had to make them so neat too) shortly before D-Day. If I remember correctly from my research Bea's first V1 kill was on the 9th June so the aircraft would still have looked reasonably fresh at that point.

Duncan B