F-14D Bombcat now "Felix 101" VF-31

FortyEighter

I'm hoping to be able to build this alongside the Tamiya A version

20181014_18014620181014_175751

Not sure whether to use the kit decals or look for something different, though there is a limited number of squadrons to choose from.

Edited by FortyEighter
Title changed
  • Like 6

Good choice, i bet your shifting this out of the stash to make way for the emporers new clothes, (whenever its released obviously) I've got the b version in the stash along with several decal sheets for B, s and D, s, my favourite is the grim reapers tomato scheme, although thats a B, as  for decals try sprue brothers from across the pond they have some nice sheets inc agressor cats, pricing is not that much more, btw wings back or forward, (with everything hanging out 👍

Glynn 

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Good choice, i bet your shifting this out of the stash to make way for the emporers new clothes, (whenever its released obviously) I've got the b version in the stash along with several decal sheets for B, s and D, s, my favourite is the grim reapers tomato scheme, although thats a B, as  for decals try sprue brothers from across the pond they have some nice sheets inc agressor cats, pricing is not that much more, btw wings back or forward, (with everything hanging out 👍

Glynn 

Hi again Glynn

Still reading through all my Tomcat resources before choosing a scheme but may go towards a non-CAG low viz version.  As for wing sweep...still to be decided also.

Cheers 

Mike

Edited by FortyEighter
Typo
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Mike

Welcome aboard again with another very interesting subject I am looking forward to see the start of your build ..

Cheers

Patrice

Hi Patrice

Think I'll start by trying a few painting techniques on the cockpits of both Cats, if they don't work out too well I'll be looking for Eduard at Telford

Mike

• Like 1

Hi Mike

A Gb is a good time to try new techniques or in my case with the Airfix Wildcat build something different (I usually build Spitfires , Hurricanes Mustang Thunderbolt and Lightning and all that kind of airplanes ...

Best regards

Patrice

2 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Hi Mike

A Gb is a good time to try new techniques or in my case with the Airfix Wildcat build something different (I usually build Spitfires , Hurricanes Mustang Thunderbolt and Lightning and all that kind of airplanes ...

Best regards

Patrice

Very, very frightening🤣

• Like 1

On 10/14/2018 at 7:13 PM, FortyEighter said:

Not sure whether to use the kit decals or look for something different, though there is a limited number of squadrons to choose from.

Limited number of squadrons yesm but nearly unlimited number of possible coloe schemes, loadouts and weathering states!

VF-2 Bounty Hunters, -31Tomcatters, -101 Grim Reapers, -213 Black Lions

Do I miss one?

13 hours ago, exdraken said:

Limited number of squadrons yesm but nearly unlimited number of possible coloe schemes, loadouts and weathering states!

VF-2 Bounty Hunters, -31Tomcatters, -101 Grim Reapers, -213 Black Lions

Do I miss one?

2 - VF-11 Red Rippers and VF-124 Gunfighters

• Like 1

I've just been looking in the Osprey book of "Tomcat units of OIF", they list only 3 squadrons involved in "Operation Iraqi Freedom" 2003-06 which used F-14D's:

VF-2 "Bounty Hunters" off USS Constellation

VF-31 "Tomcatters" off USS Abraham Lincoln

VF-213 "Black Lions" off USS Theodore Roosevelt

The other 6 squadrons involved used a mix of A's & B's

However 2 F-14D squadrons were used also in "Operation Enduring Freedom", Afghanistan 2001-03:

VF-31 "Tomcatters" off USS Abraham Lincoln

VF-213 "Black Lions" off USS Carl Vinson

I've now decided that this model will be built as #101 of VF-31 "Tomcatters" with two possible sets of decals:

Firstly as assigned to USS John C Stennis in 2004

20181121_184003

or assigned to USS Theodore Roosevelt for the last ever cruise in 2005/2006

TomcatSunset2

Either way, this airframe BU No 164603 has it's own place in history.  It was the penultimate Tomcat built and the last to fly in US Navy service when it moved from NAS Oceana to the American Airpower Museum (Long Island) on 4 Oct 2006

Various sub structures have been built, will get some photos for an update soon.

• Like 2

It's interesting building this kit at the same time as a Tamiya offering...…..

The fit of the Hobbyboss parts is quite good so far BUT each part seems to have far more sprue attachment points - which often require trimming in two dimensions rather than simply along an edge.

The intakes are not as well designed, joints along the top and bottom (compared to Tamiya where they are between the horiz / vertical sides and also sink marks right by the intake end:

20181212_184210

The intake ramps are designed to be deployed down, so need the piston locating lug removing on the forward section, the rear piston shortening and an inside wall from plasticard

20181212_184116

Some of the sub-assemblies.  I'm not sure if the complete engine is needed but have built them to ensure correct alignment.  Getting rid of those joints in the exhaust section will need some work

20181212_184028

and the rear "office" using the Eduard etch for the Tamiya "D" which just needed some minor trimming to fit

20181212_183919

• Like 2

18 hours ago, exdraken said:

nice start on the cockpit!

Thanks!

10 hours ago, Jabba said:

Like the cockpit, and the rest of the kit so far seems a bit of a struggle.

The rest of the cockpit is almost finished.  I have a set of resin seats for this version but may well revert to the kit seats and model an aircraft with the crew in situ (and in a just touched down pose with flaps, slats and airbrakes all deployed).

Am currently working on the wings as they are probably best painted before joining the two rear fuselage halves.

Good start Mike and a superb scheme choice, I'm interested in the pit falls of this kit as a B version I have  is high on my to do list, have you decided on flaps and slats yet, my intruder slats and flaps although designed to be closed or open were a bit of a pain to get closed up nicely, don't know if it'll be a similar story with yours

Glynn 

23 hours ago, Hewy said:

Good start Mike and a superb scheme choice, I'm interested in the pit falls of this kit as a B version I have  is high on my to do list, have you decided on flaps and slats yet, my intruder slats and flaps although designed to be closed or open were a bit of a pain to get closed up nicely, don't know if it'll be a similar story with yours

Glynn 

Hi Hewy,

Thanks.

Compared to the Tamiya kit (where someone has really thought about the actual construction from the supplied sprues), this one is not as good BUT I'm sure that with a bit more work it will produce a good model.  Despite Jabba's comment it isn't a struggle but just needs more care.  The Hobbyboss kit is designed to have a lot of the access hatches open on the front fuselage - the fit when used in the closed position is certainly not up to Tamiya's standard.

I'm going with the open flaps and slats configuration, though that means using the kit seats (and crew from the Tamiya "A") and leaving my resin seats with their nicely moulded seatbelts to one side.  Who knows, there might be a Tamiya "D" in the future to use them with??

Mike

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Who knows, there might be a Tamiya "D" in the future

Or maybe one day amk, or great Wall, got to be honest the great Wall one will be worth a look, 

Good choice on everything hanging out, I reckon it'll save you at least a couple of days bench time, rather than fettling for a swept wing, just a matter of display space, they're big old birds aren't they, 

Have a good one mike

Glynn 

I can confirm that these are big models. Wings open and everything hanging out looks great but otherwise you'll wish they were swept. 

I love the scheme for the Tomcatters with the black nose. Fantastic. 

Colin 

• Like 2

The cockpit interior is now finished.  The front anti-glare shield didn't fit over the etch but some surgery and plasticard has given a reasonable representation.  (Note to self, have just noticed that the two clear panels still need fitting to the HUD)

Obviously there are still some seams to be dealt with, then it will be the inside frames of the canopies.  Seats and aircrew are currently in the paint shop.

20181223_172850

• Like 2

• 1 month later...