F-14A VF-142 Ghostriders **FINISHED**

FortyEighter

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

I know there's been several built on the forums but these are still nice to see put together

Hi vis  pukin dogs for me

Glynn

Hi Flynn

Having read several build reviews I'm looking forward to not breaking out the filler during this one.

As to livery, probably a hi viz and maybe one of the squadrons that also flew the Bombcat.

Mike

On 10/17/2018 at 10:18 PM, modelling minion said:

VF-111 every time!

Unless your using the kit decals and then its VF-84.

Either way I look forward to seeing how she goes together.

Well I do have a Sundowners F-4B in the stash, different aircraft from the same squadron does appeal.

• Like 1

I made a start earlier this week:

Intakes sprayed matt white and loadout underway, but for some reason forgot to put the two the Phoenix in the picture

20181027_161943

and some work on the fuselage halves

20181027_161719

which still need gloss white on the wheel wells.

Still thinking about the cockpit but the Dream Model etch could get used

• Like 4

More progress piccies:

Upper and lower fuselage halves mated - at this stage the intakes are just a push fit (and excellent too)

20181031_092244

the joint between nose section and main fuselage 

20181031_092928

and the only fit problem so far

20181031_092145

there were sprue attachment points on these edges, so I probably sanded them off at the wrong angle to get a seamless fit but it will only take a small amount of work on both sides to correct the issue.

As every review of this kit has said, the fit is excellent.  If only Tamiya would produce a range of 144 airliners!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

the fit of mine in that area is almost perfect in test fitting, as you say maybe a wee bit too much sanding.

But gosh everything else fits so nicely

It sure it is me - reviews I've read don't mention any issue, but as I said it's not going to take much work to put right.

The ease with which this goes together has me wondering if I should sell my Hobbyboss Bombcat and get the Tamiya version.

I started playing with the Hasegawa one before I headed off. That thing is a beast, the parts I think date back to the late 90's though some of the parts could from an even earlier moulding, as the intakes don't have a step in one side of them that was part of an update. For some reason during this time period they decided that the parts didn't need locating pins! That and the excessive flash from tired mouldings.

I'f I hadn't have started it I would sell it for sure and get another Tamiya one.

Having collected a nice set of decals from the big H at Telford, I've decided to model a VF-142 Ghostriders bird from 1978

20181121_183633

Not sure which of the two to choose as yet, can find a photo of "201" in this livery on JetPhotos but no search has found "204" yet.  As a bonus neither of these has the upper white control surfaces!

Also collected a Dream Model cockpit detailing set and am in the process of fitting that, I had tried painting but found it difficult to get a consistent size on switches etc

• 3 weeks later...

Work on this model has been a bit slow recently but cockpit is now finished.  Etch is from Dream Model and as this aircraft will be firmly on the ground I've not used the kit decals for the various screens but have just painted them with clear green or blue

20181207_165358

20181207_165233

20181207_165313

20181207_165343

Although the grey on the etch doesn't closely match any of my paints I've not worried too much - looking at the pictures in Danny Coremans' book there is quite a wide variety of shades across different aircraft.

I've just got the digital version of "Detail & Scale Tomcats Part 1" which includes pictures of both 201 and 204 from Ghostriders in the livery on the Furball decal sheet above.

• Like 1

Italeri Ghostrider Tomcat was my first Tomcat, and one of my first models at all, so I'm quite fond of the scheme, and also think it's one of the best looking ones on a Tomcat. And it's not as ubiquitous as the VF-84/103 scheme.

Do you know perhaps of any decal set that covers VF-142 Tomcats while they were deployed on the Eisenhower?

Looking forward to seeing this one finished :)

• Like 1

Some really nice work in the cockpit there. 

The first Tomcats that I saw were at the IAT at Greenham common in 1976, which were from VF-143 (Static) and VF-142 (Flying) in their really bright colourful schemes, especially the vivid yellow striping of VF-142. This was on the Saturday, and apparently on the Sunday the aircraft swopped places. It was with this flying display that I fell in love with this aircraft.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2018 at 2:31 PM, daneel said:

Italeri Ghostrider Tomcat was my first Tomcat, and one of my first models at all, so I'm quite fond of the scheme, and also think it's one of the best looking ones on a Tomcat. And it's not as ubiquitous as the VF-84/103 scheme.

Do you know perhaps of any decal set that covers VF-142 Tomcats while they were deployed on the Eisenhower?

Looking forward to seeing this one finished :)

Hi Daniel,

Sorry I can't find any decals for VF-142 on USE Eisenhower- but have only looked through those available on Hannants website.

On 12/8/2018 at 7:38 PM, Jabba said:

Some really nice work in the cockpit there. 

The first Tomcats that I saw were at the IAT at Greenham common in 1976, which were from VF-143 (Static) and VF-142 (Flying) in their really bright colourful schemes, especially the vivid yellow striping of VF-142. This was on the Saturday, and apparently on the Sunday the aircraft swopped places. It was with this flying display that I fell in love with this aircraft.

Hi Jabba,

Thanks, unfortunately I've never seen a Tomcat in real life, so will have to make do with models!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just to prove that there has been some progress this month, the grey upper and white lower surfaces have now been painted

20190121_162858

Despite all my efforts to match the grey / white boundary to photos (or the decal instructions above) when masking, it is obviously too high on the intakes / engine covers.  So the edge of the grey has been sanded back and I'll have another go at it later this week.

20190121_163150

At the moment the cockpit section isn't glued to the rear section and the rear landing gear is also just a push fit, which makes spraying a lot easier.

I've also been working on armament, engines and rear stabs (as well as the F-14D)

• 2 weeks later...