Tamiya Panther Ausf A OOB

From my few previous posts you may remember that I have found myself in Hobbycraft on numberous occasions while her indoors is sourcing cake decorating stuff. And so my return to model making began. I have a sort of self imposed challenge to limit myself to what Hobbycraft provides to try and keep a lid on this and prevent myself going nuts in an online shop. (I have already broken this rule doh!). This effort is purely Hobbycraft sourced and provides a lot of modelling time for the modest £16 outlay. The kit itself feels old and crude and I’m sure many of you have had a bash at it. My goal on this build was not to go crazy with accuracy but more to practice paint techniques and try and get the hang of my new airbrush (second hand from my Dad). 

So overall a fun quick build. I realise that there are lots of corrections to do on this kit and if I had another go I would certainly look at some aftermarket tracks, the kit ones are horrible, fill in the periscopes, block out the underside of the hull above the tracks and of course fill in the slots above the rear idler wheel. I left the tow cables off because the kit ones are straight and I was getting aggravated trying to make them work. It did however do the job and I am pretty happy with my first go at German camo.

As ever all comments, feedback and advice are most welcome, after seeing so many recent Panthers on here I hop it holds up to the excellent work from you guys.

_DSC0934

_DSC0940

44403491375_06dae58594_b.jpg

Panther Ausf A

Oh one for you work bench pic fans 🙂

31441881048_23f6952435_b.jpg

• Like 13

This looks great and welcome back to the hobby.

For the cable, you can salvage ends and glue them to a length rope of a suitable diameter.  You mentioned restricting your modelling supplies to whatever is available locally, but what you want is something a wood shipbuilder would use as they have a selection of ropes in various colours (tan, browns, and black).  I'd choose black and then paint it up in a flat metal colour.

miniatue%20scal%20ship%20model%20rigging

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hairtrigger said:

That looks excellent to me...  You have got the tracks great ..  weathering and colour tones look very good as well.   No experience of that make of kit, but it looks like a splendid Panther.

Thanks Hairtrigger. They came out ok but had a nightmare getting the paint to stick just, it just kept flaking off. The last coat stuck a bit better but i’ve not messed about with them to much in case it all flaked off again.

Hi Yetifan,

I remember your 'return' to the hobby.  So many of us have returned to this hobby later in life and many of us have had to learn all about new products, new methods, and techniques, even if the models we chose to practice them on were around when we were kids. I know this panther was around 40yrs ago, but it was out of my pocketmoney range back then!

Not my favourite German tank, so I still haven't gotten round to building one, but you've done a smashing job on yours.

Don't take this as a criticism, because it's far from it, but somehow you've managed to create something which looks very much like the work done by @PlaStix

... He who manages to make 'brush-painted' models look 'airbrushed'!

Rearguards,

Badder

1 hour ago, Badder said:

Hi Yetifan,

I remember your 'return' to the hobby.  So many of us have returned to this hobby later in life and many of us have had to learn all about new products, new methods, and techniques, even if the models we chose to practice them on were around when we were kids. I know this panther was around 40yrs ago, but it was out of my pocketmoney range back then!

Not my favourite German tank, so I still haven't gotten round to building one, but you've done a smashing job on yours.

Don't take this as a criticism, because it's far from it, but somehow you've managed to create something which looks very much like the work done by @PlaStix

... He who manages to make 'brush-painted' models look 'airbrushed'!

Rearguards,

Badder

Wow, i’m humbled by the reference to @PlaStix, thank you. I’ve really enjoyed getting back into the hobby, as many of us are i’m time poor and often tired and stressed from a busy day running my business, so half an hour every other evening has been a real treat and escape. I am in awe of the quality produced by the incredibly skilled and knowledgable  members on here and am slowly finding my feet again. Simple wins like getting the decals to sit properly or getting a paint finish i’m happy with are enough for now. I will start to do more and still need to get the hang of figures. Thanks again for your supportive and kind words @Badder. More Hobbycraft stock to follow, you may have spotted the Panzer 4 on the workbench 🙂 

• Like 1

Hi.

Very nice job. Not many mud (for me) on model but any way it is good looking painting an weathering. Good add-ons' (grilles) .... handmade work maybe ? :)

Cheers

P.S. I have finished the same kit last :)

To be the first model after a contact with the hobby, frankly you have been more than good IMHO.

It's funny, my first model finished 100% on my return to the hobby (we agreed on that, more years than I would have liked to have spent, more than likely caused the "damn" airbrush + compressor, which was not within my reach, and a lots of new products and techniques that had to be tried / learned) is also a (Snow) Panther (Italeri), which you have seen a few days ago (thanks ... lol).

The drag cables, can be done in many ways, what they have indicated with the different strings, is a very good, Badder commented a long time ago, which can be impregnated in carpenter's glue, so they are a little more rigid and do not fade (same as shoelaces).

They can also be purchased separately for the specific model, copper and with resin hooks (Eureka brand), and it is not expensive.

I have already seen the PzIv in the back, a very cool model, that I have to do some day, because the Panzer Gray is a difficult issue for me ...

Chers mate 👍

Well for a 'return to the hobby' model that turned out superbly!! Very impressive painting, weathering and finish! I look forward to seeing the next model. :clap2::clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

9 hours ago, witjas4 said:

Hi.

Very nice job. Not many mud (for me) on model but any way it is good looking painting an weathering. Good add-ons' (grilles) .... handmade work maybe ? :)

Cheers

P.S. I have finished the same kit last :)

Hi i did spot there were a few Panthers on here over the last few weeks, you noticed my small mod to try and make the daylight showing through the grilles less obvious. I tend to go without to much mud but have experimented with some on my Tiger which is nearing completion.

7 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Well for a 'return to the hobby' model that turned out superbly!! Very impressive painting, weathering and finish! I look forward to seeing the next model. :clap2::clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi thanks for the kind words 🙂 can I enter my nearly finished Panzer IV in the upcoming group build or do i need to start a freash  build when the group  build starts, sorry for the silly question but i’ve not done one before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yetifan said:

Hi thanks for the kind words 🙂 can I enter my nearly finished Panzer IV in the upcoming group build or do i need to start a freash  build when the group  build starts, sorry for the silly question but i’ve not done one before.

It would be great to have you take part in the GB but your current Pz.IV is a bit too far advanced. Britmodeller's rules for GBs states that builds which have been started must be no more than 25% complete to be eligible for a GB. As long as you don’t mind making another Pz.IV so quickly after your current one it would interesting to follow how you achieve the fantastic results you do. Hope you decide to take part.

Kind regards,

Stix

15 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

It would be great to have you take part in the GB but your current Pz.IV is a bit too far advanced. Britmodeller's rules for GBs states that builds which have been started must be no more than 25% complete to be eligible for a GB. As long as you don’t mind making another Pz.IV so quickly after your current one it would interesting to follow how you achieve the fantastic results you do. Hope you decide to take part.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks for clarifying, more than happy to build another Pz 4 probably do one in yellow instead of the grey, they are cheap enough and good fun to build, so count me in 🙂 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yetifan said:

Thanks for clarifying, more than happy to build another Pz 4 probably do one in yellow instead of the grey, they are cheap enough and good fun to build, so count me in 🙂 

Great stuff! I will add you to the participants list when I get chance! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

2 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

You’ve done a fine job. 

Wish my my bench was as tidy as yours!

Pete

Thanks buzby finally have my own workspace instead of the dining table, mrs yetifan was getting grumpy, probably won’t stay that tidy for long 🙂

• Like 1