Hi all.Having recently returned to the hobby I now find myself having dismally failed at my first attempt at a group build but it would seem that I have in the meantime shall we say re hit my stride and will gladly try my hand at this group build seeing as I have a bit under a month and that the Roden bristol is supposedly a good kit that goes together rather snazily(on Roden standards anyways).

So if you guys would have me then well here is the kit and proof of incompleteness:

IMG-20181014-174749.jpg

IMG-20181014-174807.jpg

I should get cracking by late tonight and failing that tomorrow morning.

Regards:

Shaun

• Like 4

o.k so being as lazy as I am I decided to put the draken on the backburner for the time being as it has to be rescribed I WILL finish it at a later stage (read Shaun is way to lazy to rescribe panel lines at the moment).Well that having been said I decided to put in some work on the Bristol today and am rather pleased to say that I have made some progress even if it is not impressive.

Up to now I have had no problems regarding fit but as per usual the instructions is a bit vague.On to the pictures then:

engine had no significant problems and is a little gem :

IMG-20181015-120542.jpg

IMG-20181015-120554.jpg

Fit on the radiator and cowling in my example is very good and you could even get away without using any glue if you are so inclined a bit of flash was however present and cleaned off very easily:

IMG-20181015-123746.jpg

Cut off all of the superfluous controll hoerns etc 

IMG-20181015-182320.jpg

propboss is on and what little flash there was on the prop itself was cleaned off

IMG-20181015-182332.jpg

one of the Lewis guns was stuck on skew but this was in no part the fault of the kit but rather operator fault will attempt a repair of sorts later on:

IMG-20181015-182347.jpg

I also made a start on the fuel tank and vickers gun mount but did not take photos will post it in the next update.

Thanks for looking and as always criticism is welcomed.

Regards:

shaun

Edited by the South African
incomplete post finished
  • Like 5

Hi South African 

Good start but a Roden biplane might not be the easiest way to get back to the hobby. Details are great but fitting those wings will be a challenge so take it slowly and have fun. 

Colin 

• Like 1

I have been toying around with replacing (or rather adding) a "wooden" floor to the model and as I was not very chuffed (read patient enough) to wait for oils to seep and dry I came up with the following for said piece.

IMG-20181019-145955.jpg

I will also be making the inner frame out of this piece so that the "wood" looks to be the same on all of the inside.

Let me know what you guys think.

Regards:

Shaun.

• Like 2

O.K so today I have mostly spent on detail painting the crew compartment and getting every thing in their respective places.I decided on replacing the floor and have since managed to at least close the fuselage and to add the vertical and horizontal rear surfaces.I did not fill the ejector pin marks in the cockpit area because it is not visible once the components is fitted and everything is closed up.

I am yet to encounter fit issues and this is a blessing in my book.

As always critique and suggestions is welcomed.

Regards:

Shaun

IMG-20181020-175844.jpg

IMG-20181020-175850.jpg

IMG-20181020-175926.jpg

IMG-20181020-180020.jpg

IMG-20181020-184703.jpg

IMG-20181020-211955.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Looking good Shaun, you appear to be handling this very competently. I'm keen to see the end result as although its too big for me, (all the detail :( ), I'm a bit keen on an F2B in any scale.

Steve.

Thanks for the extended kindness Steve you guys are too kind.Well I am planning on at the very least painting the fuselage and wings today and maybe assembling the bigger subs hoping to have something to show by the end of today.

Regards:

Shaun

• Like 2

O.K so for today the progress was not as good as I have hoped because of having to drill waaaaaaay to many holes for the rigging.The flying wires on the F2B was all double and I do not make turn buckles eyelets etc etc in 48th scale as to my eye they seem too much trouble for the added detail that is negligible.

The nose had some fit issues but this was not because of the kit but rather my own mistake as I did not follow instructions and ended up with the engine bulkhead being about .2mm misaligned.Fuselage and wings is painted and I substituted clear linnen for radome tan.

Will work till about 22;00 and hopefully have something better to show by tomorrow evening.

As is the norm critique is welcome.

Regards:

Shaun

IMG-20181021-190254.jpg

IMG-20181021-190339.jpg

IMG-20181021-190401.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Andwil said:

Looking good, fingers crossed for all the struttery.

AW

Thank you mate.Speaking about the "struttery" i am about to get cracking on it now,hoping that it comes out half as good as most of the biplane builds already displayed here.

Regards:

Shaun

• Like 1

O.k chaps well This is the part where this build is going to start slowing down to a snails pace seeing as I have now fixed the lower wing and the wheels and have today finished drilling all of the holes for the rigging I am now going to have to start with the last of the detail painting and sorting out of a few imperfections that is taking the ........aaaah well you get the gist of things.

As always all comments and critique is welcome.Thanks for looking.

Regards:

Shaun

IMG-20181022-180223.jpg

IMG-20181022-180230.jpg

IMG-20181022-180234.jpg

IMG-20181022-195328.jpg

IMG-20181022-195338.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Great work on this chunky fighter, Shaun. It's like watching a full size build on the factory floor with all the detail going in. Enjoying this. All the best. Mike.

Thank you Mike I really appreciate the kind words.Today I got some rather unexpected time during my lunch break and managed to get the wing struts in place and also aligned them without too much trouble.The tail skid is also in place but I managed to make quite the mess with some superglue I might end up just leaving it in place as painting may be a bit of a problem in the affected area.This however is subjected to how much time I may or may not have after doing the rigging.

Will post new updates as I get the time to do so.

Regards:

Shaun

• Like 1

O.k lads had a "bit of time this afternoon and decided to try my hand at making eyelet bolts the first and second attempts looked a little out of scale to my eye being too big.I however ended up using two of them just for kicks.After I started on smaller items and tried to solder them but to no avail My pickering is finished and the flux cored solder ends up burning the copper wire coating (now I remember why I dislike making turnbuckles and eyelets in 48th)

At any rate I ended up with 120 eyelets and they should serve well in my next build.

Mark one eyelets:

IMG-20181024-115845.jpg

IMG-20181024-115903.jpg

Mark ones fitted to an actuator:

IMG-20181024-134331.jpg

From the top to bottom Mk's 1,2 and 3 respectively:

IMG-20181024-142821.jpg

This is how a 120 eyelet bolts look in a VERY small container:

IMG-20181024-173557.jpg

Hopefully I will have some time to make a start on the turnbuckles tomorrow.I am however knackered so will have an early night.

Thanks for looking.Comments and critique is as usual welcome.

Regards:

Shaun

• Like 2

O.K lad's this afternoon I found myself with having some leisure time after having sat in a prolonged meeting for 6 hours.I however decided that I MUST start with the rigging."Self" I said to myself you should pick a rigging material to use (I use a whole lot of different stuff)."Why pick?" self replied.

Having decided this I first had to check some sources and soon realized that the use of multiple rigging material might not be a bad idea both for the sake of realism and visual interest and just plain to see if I could do it also featuring somewhere in there.

So I started rigging the aft end as this is the most complicated and also the most difficult area.

After two hours I have the following to show you guys.

IMG-20181025-220258.jpg

Materials used include but is definately not limited to

IMG-20181025-220358.jpg

IMG-20181025-220413.jpg

IMG-20181025-220435.jpg

Thanks for looking and as always all comments and critique is welcomed.

Regards:
Shaun 

• Like 2

Just as a footnote I know that there is four wires missing on the tail structure (bottom) I do not want to hazard getting in there just yet as the glue has not yet reached full strength and as you can very well imagine I do not wish to start everything again because of a accident.

Regards:
Shaun

• Like 1

Hi guys.This afternoon whilst tightening the rigging I my hands slipped and the model fell damage is extensive to say the least but the model is not beyond salvage.

This little stupid accident will however easily add a week to my build time and as such I will now have to run a second project in parallel with it.It will probably be a little something in 72nd scale so that if I run into difficulties with the bristol and it does not get finished I will at least have something to show for my troubles.

Regards:

Shaun 

• Sad 4

Morning guys just thought I would like to let you know I have a rescue plan in progress the rigging has already been repaired now strugling with re attaching the fuselage and repairing the broken axle where the right hand wheel attaches as viiewed from the front. Will post as soon as I have some progress. 

• Like 2

Morning co-modelers.As promised I have been making a bit of progress in the repairs department I have used 14 gauge hypodermic needles to reaffirm the fuselage to the lower wing and have repaired most of the lost rigging on the tail plane.Next up will be making/repairing broken wing struts and fixing the axle that the wheels is held on to.

Thanks for looking and as always comments/critique is welcomed.

Regards:

Shaun.

IMG-20181026-161920.jpg

IMG-20181028-092910.jpg

IMG-20181028-092933.jpg

IMG-20181028-092941.jpg

• Like 4

Gentlemen of the jury. I am now 99% sure that my rescue attempt is a success I wil post pics of the now structurally improved model as soon as the glue is of such a nature that it can be moved. 

Regards:

Shaun

• Like 1

Well as promised I have some pictures to share but I must apologise in advance for the very poor quality of said Items.A plus is that she is well and truly saved the negative however is that I have caused myself a LOT of work in the process filling will no doubt start to make a appearance and so will very creative painting techniques.

Well gentlemen I would now have to say critique is all that I have to look forward to as she stands now so have away at it.

Regards:

Shaun

IMG-20181028-152919.jpg

IMG-20181028-153543.jpg

IMG-20181028-172425.jpg

IMG-20181028-192912.jpg

IMG-20181028-192933.jpg

IMG-20181028-192944.jpg

IMG-20181028-193012.jpg

• Like 4

20 hours ago, the South African said:

Gentlemen of the jury. I am now 99% sure that my rescue attempt is a success

Agreed - well done Shaun. It would have been a crime to see all that excellent work gone to waste. Repairs were a big part of life in WW1 RFC were they not? Imagine doing this in 1:1! Model on. All the best. Mike.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ventora3300 said:

Agreed - well done Shaun. It would have been a crime to see all that excellent work gone to waste. Repairs were a big part of life in WW1 RFC were they not? Imagine doing this in 1:1! Model on. All the best. Mike.

Thanks Mike.Whilst on the subject of repairs I was watching Dogfights on Saturday evening (first dogfighters).And the last inset dealt with an american ace whose name I can not recall at the moment his Spad had to be "salvaged" at the end of said dogfight this to me was a very stark reminder of the realities of the war and also of the bravery of the men that fought in it.

Just compare the approach to what we have today.In those days if something was usable it would happen today I sincerely doubt whether this would be the case before a lengthy check and refurbishment of said used parts.

Regards;

Shaun

• Like 1