Yellow Piant mix for U.S. navy biplanes wings

Old Mull

I am rebuilding a Hasagawa 1/32 Boing F4-B4 and would appreciate any info regarding a piant match/mix for the yellow upper surface of the wing. I have seen it shown in various shades of yellow from lemon yellow to orange yellow. Help based on actual evidence would be appreciated.

Dave

It was an orange yellow, or perhaps more accurately a chrome yellow.  Lemon yellow was used for unit markings.  Colour chips are available in a number of publications, including Monogram's books on USN camouflage and markings, or the more elementary Squadron Signal series.   A good match would be any paint claiming to be RAF Yellow, but the specific colour is available from Colourcoats.

• Like 3

The official match for 'orange yellow' (which does not really contain a trace of orange, but is a deep yellow) is FS 13538 (1).

For FS 13538, IPMS Stockholm recommends Humbrol 188, Gunze H329 and Testors 1790 as match, for FS 33538 IPMS additionally recommends Xtracolor 106 and Testors 1708 (also recommended by Cybermodeller).

Mind that the Navy Color is less orange than the early USAAC Yellow 4. They were later merged to the Navy Orange Yellow by the A/N color standards.

(1) The Official Monogram US Navy and Marine Corps Aircraft Color Guide Vol.1

• Like 1

I can recommend the Colourcoats colours. These paints are the reason I have become hooked on making yellow wings era USN Aircraft!

Here's one I made earlier as they say! All the colours (including the roundels) with exception of the silver are from the Colourcoats range of paints. www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk is the home of Colourcoats

IMG_4337-M.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 10

Thanks for prompt response guys, Colourcoat yellow ordered today, together with quite a few others that I had in humbrol but now defunct. Nice model, Duncan, quite like yellow wings!

Any advice on airbrushing Colourcoat, thinners, pressures, primer? By the way, sorry not spelling ‘paint’ properly, been painting a 1/1 scale bathroom all week, so blame it on the fumes, or the couple of stiff whiskeys once the brushes were cleaned!

Cheers, Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Old Mull said:

Thanks for prompt response guys, Colourcoat yellow ordered today, together with quite a few others that I had in humbrol but now defunct. Nice model, Duncan, quite like yellow wings!

Any advice on airbrushing Colourcoat, thinners, pressures, primer? By the way, sorry not spelling ‘paint’ properly, been painting a 1/1 scale bathroom all week, so blame it on the fumes, or the couple of stiff whiskeys once the brushes were cleaned!

Cheers, Dave

Ah, number #4664, thank you :D

Primer is not strictly necessary as the paint will adhere regardless, however it remains good practise to go for a uniform colour anyway to check the surface preparation is up to snuff. Anything is ok for this, providing it, too, adheres and is properly dry before proceeding.

If you're using an airbrush in the common range of something like 0.2 to 0.5mm needle and nozzle, I'd recommend you start with 50/50 paint to thinners and 15psi. With a 0.2mm needle, I usually go 40/60 paint to thinners and spray really close in with the needle valve barely opened. It seems counter intuitive, but it's quicker. Each pass has flashed off and is touch dry by the time you come back for another. If it's touch dry you're good to mask over with Tamiya tape etc :)

• Like 1

Thanks Jamie, you’re welcome. I usually use Halford’s primer, flatted off. So I guess that will be ok, advice much appreciated.

Graham, thanks also but I think I will leave it as it is, your posting was more than adequate, you also provided the info, thanks again..

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 1:21 PM, Duncan B said:

Here's one I made earlier as they say!

Duncan,

Just now read this discussion and saw your Wildcat! It is the BEST prewar F4F I have seen in any scale! Awesome build and the colors are spot-on. What scale and kit is this one? Well done, or as they say in the USN, you did a four-oh job on that model! 👍

Mike

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Duncan,

Just now read this discussion and saw your Wildcat! It is the BEST prewar F4F I have seen in any scale! Awesome build and the colors are spot-on. What scale and kit is this one? Well done, or as they say in the USN, you did a four-oh job on that model! 👍

Mike

Thanks Mike, I really enjoyed painting that one even though the aluminium fought me a little. It is the HobbyBoss 1/48 Wildcat, they do a range of them from the -3 Early through to the FM-2. I'm no expert on the Wildcat so can't comment on accuracy however it does have the correct cockpit floor (or lack of) which the Tamiya -4 doesn't and it is cheaper than the Tamiya kit too.

There are more photos in the RFI section on here but the WIP was only posted on the BlackMike Models Facebook page and on another Forum (I am too lazy to do multiple postings!).

Duncan B

• Thanks 1