*done* B-17G-35-BO 42-32025 VP*P “DREAMBABY”

vppelt68

Right, fuselage next! If the wings were built oob, the more I looked at the bombardier's and navigator's (empty) workspace the more I wanted to add something in there... Cheek gun ammo boxes were quite easy to add as Revell supplies two extra for F type waist guns. They were glued together and I chopped a few mm:s from the bottom. Now I need to try to roll the ammo belts using the @MarkSH method - thanks yet again for the tip! I made a crude bomb bay door etc. levers from a stretch of sprue and brass rod. Ugly but good enough for me. The white box taped between the navigating table and those levers shall represent the instrument panel there. The chin turret azimuth motor was chopped from the kit's bomb bay door actuating rod. Haha. Last but not least, the chin turret control set was assembled from brass rod and pieces of plastic. Those yellow handles, from a Matchbox Ju 188 control column (!) shall yet be deleted and replaced...

Isn't the Revell kit's raised front floor too short? I think it should come further back, up to the nav table leg? Which I also trimmed so that there now is just "a leg".

20181111_224508

Best regards, V-P

• Like 5

• vppelt68 changed the title to B-17G-35-BO 42-32025 VP*P “DREAMBABY”

The wings look really good VP. You just might be on to something building and finishing your wings first. Getting some of those stencils done now will lighten the stress of doing all the decals at the end of the build. 

• Like 1

What's happening, Dreambaby? Plenty of tiny non-pictoresque things inside her, and time to give her her name!

2018-11-20_10-46-50

First a patch of yellow paint. Then a good enough for me draft of the text pencilled on.

2018-11-20_11-04-50

Then carefully painting the olive drab around the to-be-yellow text. Decent, not good in anyways but good enough for me again! When the paint is thoroughly dry I shall accent the text with black technical pen. Best regards, V-P

• Like 10

Masking takes a lot of time but doesn't result nice pics. Here's an in progress pic of the Dreambaby war office. I'm working on port side mg ammo belt atm and the bomb sight has only been base painted and not glued in its position, but I need it there to help align the linked half inch rounds. V-P

2018-11-24_01-45-19

• Like 4

Build thread is a place to post one´s in-progress pics. As a group build host I´m trying to be exemplary and do just that; these pics aren´t showing any real progress but they tell the rest of you where I am atm. They may also be the last pics taken from the interior before the fuselage is buttoned up, as I plan to add the three turrets later; true, there are things to be done before that but at least I now have the pics. The interior pieces are still loose and temporarily in place.

2018-11-27_03-21-52

First let's look at the radio room, where I need to turn those chairs.

2018-11-27_03-21-26

A look in the other direction next.

2018-11-27_03-20-54

Flight deck. Forgive me my clumsy attempt at the throttle quadrants... they´ll look better through the windshield!

2018-11-27_03-20-13

In the end I decided to modify a Revell- supplied ammo belt to fit the port cheek position. Again, little will be seen through the nose cone. And most of the other stuff is out-of-scale too!

2018-11-27_03-16-39

Again some dry-fitting to see how things come together and how they look. The cockpit glazing is primed with Hu 149 to match interior colour, when eventually looked through the windows.

2018-11-27_03-15-20

I didn´t tape her nose properly so the nose cone doesn´t fit at all... but her name looks rather nice, doesn´t it?

2018-11-27_03-14-49

A morale booster (for me!). Maybe she ends up looking like a B-17, in the end. Best regards, V-P

• Like 8

That's a really attractive colour scheme. The patched wings detail an otherwise quite plain area to very good effect. Even though it's an Olive Drab plane, it still manages to be full of colour and interest.

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished model,

Tony.

• Thanks 1

Very little will indeed be seen; there's a saying in Finland that goes something like "close the coffin, the relatives have seen the corps" :rofl2:.

Though I'm happy with the colours too, I'm crazy or stupid enough to still consider painting that red empennage green, to its pre-July -44 look that the Dreambaby had for several months :hmmm:

Nah maybe the next one but not this! V-P

Since you have a decent color photo of the actual plane in action I certainly wouldn't change it too much.

On the other hand, if there's a specific point in the airframe's history that you are trying to represent and it pre-dates the change to red tails then break out the green paint.

It looks pretty good as-is though.

However, you did remind me to look at my grandfather's mission log and check the dates of the different paint changes.

The plane and crew arrived late April 1944 and his missions span until late in the year.

He flew on the lead plane for seven missions and I think one or more were actually 3rd Division lead... If so, I want to get markings correct for one of those significant missions (and make sure they were on Ol' Scrapiron and not one of the other ships).

Fortunately, the 447th did not use fuselage markings, so it should be a matter of "plain" or "white square/dk blue K"  ... I'm sure the colors came later, but will double check.

Edited by Ol' Scrapiron
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

More than two weeks since the last update though still done something almost every day. Anyways, the bigger is the progress now...

All the pics except the oxygen tank in progress- one (the third) were taken this morning :coolio: 2018-12-13_10-22-09

Looks like a pre-painted kit, doesn´t it? The IKEA B-17 kit.

2018-12-13_09-14-09

Clear parts with masks but not yet painted... so actually this pic was taken before that IKEA-pic.

2018-12-02_11-41-38

This is even older and shows how my Finlandia stirring stick (who needs such for vodka anyway?) and the kit bomb racks were turned into oxygen tanks.

2018-12-13_10-32-34

So long the war office, soon you`ll be hidden from daylight.

2018-12-13_10-32-59

Another view.

2018-12-13_10-45-55

Those O2- tanks look surprisingly decent, but that cocktail stick plastic was very hard and rounding those heads properly was just not my cup of tea 🤭

2018-12-13_10-46-29

Not too much room after you add the top turret.

2018-12-13_10-49-47

With all the parts needed already in place, it was time to slide the second fuselage half on the wing spars and take the "bye bye forever"- photograph :weep:

2018-12-13_11-21-01

Cry no more! As I joined the fuselage halves in two inch sections, I found time and one free hand were enough to add the cockpit and radio compartment windows. They are primered with Hu 149 and shall indeed be given a proper Hu 155 as I tidy her and her seams up.

2018-12-13_11-56-53

These IKEA- kits sure are fast to build! I added the tail turret extension minus the actual gun turret. The wings and stabilizers are just pushed on for illustrational and morale boosting purposes.

Best regards, V-P

• Like 7

I managed to take a few pics looking into the bombardier and navigator compartment.

IMG_20181213_132430

The "details" I´ve added are hugely overscale and I would probably do them otherwise, next time. Well you live and you learn!

2018-12-13_01-43-44

The Revell nose cone is notorious and for good reason too! It´ll hide all my efforts so it actually isn´t that bad that they are overscale and inaccurate. But maybe, just maybe, you can spot the chin turret sight I have scratch built and attached to the upper lip of the nose cone :yahoo:. V-P

• Like 6

Its looking really good VP, I think my plan to attach the flexible feed chutes to the MGs once they're in place may be over ambitious, if the crowded nature of your pictures is anything to go by! keep it up great work.

• Like 1

Hi V-P,

I dare say that this is an interesting, if somewhat unorthodox, way of modelling a plane, especially when four engines are involved!!!

The fit had better be good indeed! Not for me though, as I am way too clumsy not to ruin it all...

Walking the tight rope without a net... Have fun!

JR

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyway I'm going, I'm quite close to getting there. This morning I had this at my hands:

Clean Dreambaby

Working bit by bit, or better, decal by decal...

Getting there...

...she was first assigned to the 381st, and then specifically to 533rd BS...

2018-12-30_08-09-20

...then received rest of her tailcodes. Not entirely correct font and size, but if I can live with the Little Miss Mischief- pin up, I can well live with them too :coolio:.

Now how much do I have left to travel? Remember, the wings were ready a long time ago, so...

2018-12-30_08-55-34

...with them and the tailplanes temporarily attached, I say I'm nearly there now! Tomorrow, if weather permits, I'll spray her with Tamiya rattle can flat varnish. Then it's time to remove masking and add turrets and fuselage guns.

2018-12-30_08-56-58

The serial was nice to add number by number... no wonder it's a bit wobbly! Ready by 2018? Not sure yet :hmmm:

Best regards, V-P

• Like 3

Time for the last build update, post mortem sort of, as the finished build is already at the gallery.

2018-12-31_09-46-26

Masked the wings for staining the excessive oil leaks of the 42-32025.

2018-12-31_10-14-47

Then brushed on some of that Johnny Cash and Roy Orbison favourite colour. Then all I had left was adding the chin and ball turrets, and some gun barrels too. Rattle can flat varnish, removal of masking, and DREAMBABY was done. The next one, please! Best regards, V-P

2018-12-31_04-08-21

• Like 6