RWD-9 Spanish Civil War - from RWD-6, scratch

JWM

36 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Really impressive! Nice paintwork!

Many thanks! :) 

When I posted after midnight photos I realized that "EM-W46" is not a regular civil registration but military (specific for Spain - E for Espagna, M for Militar), So it was not neccessairly on all 3 positions. I looked to Miranda book and on drawing it is not seen on wings. So I looked more carefully again at the single existing photo and did not found it on bottom of wing! So I wake up early morning today and removed it from wings... Almost all went out easy with help of Micro-Sol, even despite that they were already secured with Vallejo diluted varnish. Only one "W" on bottom made problems and I will have to correct the paint...

More in the evening, I hope..

Regards

J-W

10 hours ago, JWM said:

at 2:39 the photo print is shown on which the roundel under the wing is clearly seen! 

you're right, so an old discussion is solved....sometime ago, there was a fierce debate about it in a well known spanish board....

Regarding registration.....EM stands for "España Militar", you're right..civil aircraft were EC, "España Comercial". But that EM registration was given just to non tactical military planes, like courier, liaison, etc...some aeroclubs were linked to the Arma de Aviación (not FARE, as it's been called several times), hence the EM registration....

You're doing an excellent work with that "avioneta"....

Edited by Artie
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2018 at 9:44 AM, Artie said:

You're doing an excellent work with that "avioneta"....

Theoretically you're right calling RWD-9 the "avioneta" (lightplane in English), as her dimensions (11.6m span, 7.6m lenght) and weight (560kg empty, 930kg MTOW) are broadly comparable to the Cessna 170 (11.0m, 7.6m, 550kg and 1000kg respectively) that is universally acclaimed as the first (1948) worldwide standard of 4-seater lightplane.

Nevertheless bear in mind that with her 280 kph (175mph) max speed the RWD-9 was actually faster than then-standard Spanish fighter - the 170mph Nieuport Delage 52. The standard bomber (Breguet XIX) was another 35mph slower...

After all among the 34 planes participating in the 1934 FAI Challenge Internationale de Tourisme there were just 7 RWD-9s. And these 7 planes have literally wiped-off all the opposition, taking 1st, 2nd, 7th and 8th places. The only other aircraft classified with 3 crews in top ten was the Messerschmitt Bf 108, that took 5th, 6th and 10th place.

Cheers

Michael 

• Like 1

Hi,

So I finished the pre-war livery. Actually it is kind of look which never existed, since likely first was added mottled upper scheme and then the three colour flag on rudder and red strips around. Novertheless it looke like that:

30846445827_9022da8613_b.jpg44873485975_1ea9971fe5_b.jpg45061709534_db8fdb9efb_b.jpg

45061710964_d08c319409_b.jpg45786362741_d60aaa574f_b.jpg30846447647_cebea13348_b.jpg

The decals EM-W46 are made of painted all white decal sheet cut into belts....

But she existed in this finish only for some 20 hours. Today I applied camo ochra /olive green

The idea was that some of original colours were not covered since it was painted in a rush

45786363721_883391e504_b.jpg

30846449087_72ba10ea2f_b.jpg

45786364951_bf142e4010_b.jpg

That is how I think she looked in October 1936 when crashed in France

Only matt varnish and some dirt and I will ask to see final result at RFI!

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

I finished her today. The RFI thread is here:

Welcome to see final result there

Regards and many thanks for watching and for comments!

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1

Absolutely amazing "hasty" camouflage on this silver/red civil livery.

I hope you won't forget to extend the camo blotches onto the overwing roundels

Great work done on such a small plane :)

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1