Old Tiger

This is my first tiger I made about 4 years ago. Didn't paint it until now because I couldn't afford an airbrush & compressor. Now that I have one, I want to practice painting on it.

So first question, my dark yellow basecoat has a slightly sandy finish to it, almost like sandpaper yet it doesn't have that black "fuzziness" look to it. Is that normal or okay?

Secondly, I'm sort of confused by the pecking order for painting and weathering. So my understanding is...

1. Base coat

2. Camoflage pattern

3. Tamiya clear x-22 or future floor polish

4. Decals

5. Tamiya clear x-22 or future floor polish

6. Chipping/pin washing/streaking/weathering

7. light misting of a semi-gloss or flat

8. ???

9. Profit. 

Let me know if I'm being a stupid. 

IMG_20181013_183930074_zpshspcs1er.jpgIMG_20181013_183923036_zpsywsylmqm.jpgIMG_20181013_183917095_zps9wskqwp1.jpgIMG_20181013_183909951_zpsxu2ta4nm.jpg

• Like 1

Starting of with a neat Base coat is always a good idea. How to achieve various effects is a matter of taste. Basically your order of painting looks promising. But the clearcoats are not mandatory.

If you would like trying some colormodulation, now would be the time. You could easily mix a lighter and a darker shade and create artificial shading on the Base coat before doing the cam work.

3 hours ago, WelshZeCorgi said:

This is my first tiger I made about 4 years ago. Didn't paint it until now because I couldn't afford an airbrush & compressor. Now that I have one, I want to practice painting on it.

So first question, my dark yellow basecoat has a slightly sandy finish to it, almost like sandpaper yet it doesn't have that black "fuzziness" look to it. Is that normal or okay?

Secondly, I'm sort of confused by the pecking order for painting and weathering. So my understanding is...

1. Base coat

2. Camoflage pattern

3. Tamiya clear x-22 or future floor polish

4. Decals

5. Tamiya clear x-22 or future floor polish

6. Chipping/pin washing/streaking/weathering

7. light misting of a semi-gloss or flat

8. ???

9. Profit. 

Let me know if I'm being a stupid. 

HI THERE....My advice would be to go to Youtube and see the many vids on there on the spray, modulation and finishing techniques.....try Mig Jimenez and subscribe to his feed....he's pretty good and great video's....I have them on while I'm at my bench....always pick up new techniques etc.

I've watched quite a few on the starting from raw plastic through to the final weathering.......there's a really good one on the KV-1 by Adam Wilder, that has the start of painting through to final touch's....

Simon.

Hello.

Complete and very enough steps are wrote on this site http://www.scalemodelguide.com/painting-weathering/painting-guide/painting-sequence/

But in my opinion and my experience also, it should be enough those steps:

1. Base coat

2. Camouflage pattern (if have to be)

3. Highlight Base Colour and/or Post Shading

4. Clear satin or polish paint (polish is better)

5. Decals

?  In that step or before step 5 you can glue painted parts which are very difficult to paint after gluing

6. Clear satin or polish paint

7. Washing / pin washing

8. Dry brushing

9. Protective layer of satin paint

10. Chipping/streaking/weathering

11. Protective layer of satin paint

12. Border metallization and soot

Best regards

Witold

On 10/14/2018 at 3:18 PM, WelshZeCorgi said:

Also, as regards the "sandy" finish......that's I believe because you have under thinned the paint...and it's drying before hitting the model surface.....it needs to be like milk in consistency (maybe a little thinner) and spray many thin coats until you get the coverage you need.....thin coats especially when doing things like modulation etc.

Simon.

• Like 1