For those who have not seen the 401st BG diorama in Savannah, here are a few pics I took during the 447th BG reunion in 2013.

Charleston-reunion-Oct-2013-5974.JPG

-

Charleston-reunion-Oct-2013-5969.JPG

-

Charleston-reunion-Oct-2013-5973.JPG

-

Charleston-reunion-Oct-2013-5970.JPG

-

Charleston-reunion-Oct-2013-5980.JPG

-

Charleston-reunion-Oct-2013-5976.JPG

-

Charleston-reunion-Oct-2013-5982.JPG

-

Charleston-reunion-Oct-2013-5979.JPG

It is HUUUUUUUGE!!!

Edited by Ol' Scrapiron
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...

This may be a bit late for this GB, butt ....

@DaveyGair and I have been discussing Coastal Command B-17s, and using the Imperial War Miuseum's Collection Online section to find images. This is the link I've been using ...

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/search?query=fortress&pageSize=15&filters[periodString][Second World War]=on&page=3

Jumped on a few pages here, because the search I used was 'Fortress' which also finds a range of stuff, including Malta and naval stuff - but there are B-17 images in the earlier pages too.

(Something over 300 pages there, though not all have images, and as I say, not all are relevant to this GB)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 years later...
On 25/10/2018 at 11:57, vppelt68 said:

Interior Green was never, at any point, used in B-17 production, despite it usually being plastered all over the insides of 99% of B-17 models built. 

I appreciate this is an old thread now but I am currently building a B-17F and looking up references for the interior etc, I came across this statement and in fairness, it is not correct:

spacer.png

This shows the stringers were supplied to Boeing already primed.

Source: https://inchhighguy.wordpress.com/2019/09/18/b-17-flying-fortress-interior-colors-part-ii/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dominic_2005 said:

I appreciate this is an old thread now but I am currently building a B-17F and looking up references for the interior etc, I came across this statement and in fairness, it is not correct:

Source: https://inchhighguy.wordpress.com/2019/09/18/b-17-flying-fortress-interior-colors-part-ii/

That's correct! I think the original poster meant that the whole interior was not (quote) plastered all over the insides (end quote) with interior green paint. As is often the case, the truth lies somewhere in between. V-P

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2023 at 1:46 AM, dominic_2005 said:

I am going to disagree with inchhighguy -- the stringers are not green in that photo. They only look darker because tighter curves reflect light differently than surfaces that are wide and relatively flat, but that is all unpainted metal. Look how reflective they are farther back in the fuselage. The only exception is that one arc of the section just forward of the right waist window (left on the photo)

One interesting thing about the pic is that there are fluorescent shop lights hanging that were obviously turned off so the photography crew could control the light source for a beter result.

14 hours ago, Ol' Scrapiron said:

I am going to disagree with inchhighguy -- the stringers are not green in that photo. They only look darker because tighter curves reflect light differently than surfaces that are wide and relatively flat, but that is all unpainted metal. Look how reflective they are farther back in the fuselage. The only exception is that one arc of the section just forward of the right waist window (left on the photo)

One interesting thing about the pic is that there are fluorescent shop lights hanging that were obviously turned off so the photography crew could control the light source for a beter result.

I know where you are coming from, however I think they are/were green. Eyedropper in Photoshop tells the tale. Sampling a darkened/shadowed area we know is bare metal, gives a completely different Hue than sampling a darkened/shadowed area we know is green. Now sample the darkened/shadowed area we suspect to be green, and the hue matches the green areas.