Sopwith F.1 Camel "Clerget" Wingnut Wings 1/32

Hi everyone, thought I'd post my latest build. I really enjoy Wingnut Wings kits. Love to take my time and be methodical. 

There's a few mistakes, as normal. I was thinking for ages how to do the 'bullet' rigging, ended up doing it too low. It wasn't easy. I am quite happy overall but think next year I really have to think about getting an airbrush. The whole aircraft is slightly lopsided as well, which I've put down to a rough landing. 

My favourite part was the whicker chair, it's great to experiment with various colours. Also I think the propeller was my best wood effect so far, the wood inside the cockpit looked ok too but it's nearly invisible. 

Apologies for the photos, I can't seem to take a good one, never really tried before and didn't realise there was a knack to it. 

All the best, Martin 

20181014_11115320181014_11105820181014_11083220181014_11082420181014_11081420181014_11080020181014_11073020181014_11071720181014_11014120181014_11001820181014_10592620181014_105830

IMG_20180722_160502

20181015_000504

Edited by Martin Ford
  • Like 28

2 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Nice to see a Wingnuts kit getting built. The rigging puts me off but I have a biplane (not a WnW kit this time round) near the top of the build list.

Duncan B

Hi Duncan, thanks for commenting. This is actually the first Wingnut kit I ever bought and from your good self, a year or two back. I do enjoy them so, owning them as well as making them. I've made a grand total of two so far. 

As odd as it sounds, I actually like doing the rigging. There's something therapeutic about it I find. I know I'm far from an expert but there is something satisfying about seeing it take to the glue and snapping into place. I also bought an FE.2B from you as well now that has some serious rigging, I usually need a lie down just looking at the rigging diagram ☺

All the best, Martin 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

Very impressive - shows that you can still produce something amazing without an airbrush. Beautiful finish all over - the wood effect on the prop is very nice. What paints did you use? Guessing oils on the wings? Also - the photos are great 😏

Hello and thank you for the kind comments. The main brown of the wings and fuselage is a Vallejo acrylic, it's a US Earth brown from the Vallejo model air range. I just thought there's no reason why I can't brush it, so gave it a go. 

The prop, I started off with brushing on a desert tan primer, this doesnt brush well but the advantage is it gives a kind of grain look as it doesnt cover well and is very thin. Then oil on top of that, followed by an acrylic clear orange and an acrylic gloss. 

All the best, Martin

• Like 1

11 hours ago, invidia said:

Great looking model.  Building my first wingnut kit at the moment, a sopwith dolphin. Hope it comes out as good as yours. 

Thank you. I'm sure yours will be great. I hope your enjoying your Dolphin. I got a bit addicted to Wingnut kits and ended up buying quite a few, but whether he'll, why not?

Cheers, Martin

Great work, love the prop. 

I've the Sopwith Snipe, just trying to build up the courage to start.

Like others it's the rigging and something called a "turnbuckle???"

Cheers Darryl 

Just now, Jasper dog said:

Great work, love the prop. 

I've the Sopwith Snipe, just trying to build up the courage to start.

Like others it's the rigging and something called a "turnbuckle???"

Cheers Darryl 

Thanks my friend. I was a bit hesitant to start my first Wingnut kit, then that rainy day arrived and I just went for it. 

I'm sure you'll nail the rigging. It's relatively easy, I'm far from an expert but I'd say the only thing you must use is an accelerator for the cyanoacrylate. I have to say I haven't bothered with turnbuckles and not sure I ever will. They do look good but I just don't feel the need. 

All the best and i hope your Snipe goes well, Martin 

• Thanks 1

Nothing to be ashamed of with that model - quite the reverse in fact. The double lines for the rigging are really very good (and difficult to get right), and the overall finish of the paintwork is just super. Airbrush? Why bother - spend the money on another WNW kit instead!

P

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pheonix said:

Nothing to be ashamed of with that model - quite the reverse in fact. The double lines for the rigging are really very good (and difficult to get right), and the overall finish of the paintwork is just super. Airbrush? Why bother - spend the money on another WNW kit instead!

P

Thank you mate. I think you may be right. A bloke can never have enough Wingnut kits. 

I didn't really take a pic of the wing underside, the doped linen paint just looks a bit samey, it's hard to get it to look right with a brush. I will probably stick with brush painting for a while.

Cheers for the comment, all the best,  Martin

Edited by Martin Ford
Misspelling