P-51D Mustang 2 Air Commando India+++FINISHED+++

GREG DESTEC

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Can’t say I’ve ever studied this particular unit Craig, however I’m sure the final pics will look superb. There’s been a lot written about this new Airfix kit and your build is echoing everyone’s glowing praise for it. Looking good buddy! 

Cheers.. Dave

Hi Dave,

Earlier in the thread one of the comments posted had a link in it to some great images of 2 Air Commando aircraft. From what I could find they were only in theatre for a few months between late 1944 and mid 1945. They provided air support to the operations to retake Rangoon. Once that was achieved the Mustangs returned to the U.S.. 

Cheers Greg 😀

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Looking good Greg. You have to be pleased with that. 

Thanks Greg,

I am happy with it on the whole. Once the decals are on we will see what the overall look will be. There's still opportunity for me to muck it up lol 😂

Cheers Greg

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Looking good Greg, its making me pleased I've come by some decals for one in 72nd scale, thanks to a nudge from @zegeye.

Steve.

Good stuff Steve,

I hope the outer wing thunder bolts have the correct configuration!

I will be getting on with mine shortly.....

Cheers Greg

17 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

I hope the outer wing thunder bolts have the correct configuration!

Thanks Greg, its a DK set I've bought. It hadn't arrived yet but online photos looked OK in that respect.

Steve.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Excellent progress Greg! Looking good! :coolio:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks again Stix,

I am pleased you like her. I am decalling at the moment, which is taking a bit of time.....

More soon,

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

Update 4(?) ..Thunderbolts and Lightning, very very frightening!!

Those darned decals proved to be quite challenging, and highlighted a couple of errors by me (its always me).

Firstly i should not have added the hardpoints for the drop tanks before i started putting on the decals. this resulted in having to cut them and try and work around the plastic protrusions!!

Next error...I shouldnt have put on the starts n bars before the lightening flashes either...more cutting decals....grrrrr!!!

Finally, not my fault for once, the outer wing markings for the flashes should be doubles like all the rest but Airfix printed them as singles, so i have to paint them on...

Ah well, perfection is boring as they say, and just as well for my sake! Pic's...

46143928681_8930277ddd_z.jpg

45232359855_2438305009_z.jpg

45232360175_d1e06af95d_z.jpg

Getting there, hopefully near the finish line by next week,

Cheers

Greg

• Like 12

I agree with Stix, and I like the slightly scruffy edges to the anti-glare panel, it looks more realistic than perfectly straight edges in my opinion. I must get one before it disappears like the Spitfire Mk1 seems to be doing.

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Greg - good to see more progress despite the issues - and it's looking great! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

Much appreciated. It's a really nice kit and any problems have been of my own making. 

Cheers Greg😁

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

I agree with Stix, and I like the slightly scruffy edges to the anti-glare panel, it looks more realistic than perfectly straight edges in my opinion. I must get one before it disappears like the Spitfire Mk1 seems to be doing.

John

Thanks John,

I scratched off some of the green on the nose to simulate a bit of wear n tear. So I'm pleased you noticed.

If you get the chance to get one then take it. I can't recommend it highly enough. Be a shame if Airfix withdraw it already but the extra parts indicatevthey may issue a RAF mk IV too.

Cheers Greg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good evening Greg

Very good job  she looks great with the decals on

Patrice

Thank you Patrice :thumbsup:

The model starts to come to life once the markings go on. I am looking forward to adding the last of the parts to complete what has been a very enjoyable build.

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

gee she looks nice with the decals on.

In cases like this you'd think they'd recommend an order to which to put these decals on. Putting weapons pylons etc on too early, we're all guilty of doing that......any never learning from it either! :whistle:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice work Greg.

We have all fitted pylons where decals should go, and we all (well me at least) keep doing it!

She's going to look great when you finish her.

Thanks again!

Good to hear I'm not the only one who gets carried away when things are going well.

I hope to be finished this one by the weekend.

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Good score Patrice, I don't imagine they come up too often.

Steve.

Hi steve

I must admit that I was very lucky to find one for a very reasonable price , I hope that I won't have bad surprises with the decals sheet  ..

Cheers

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5
  • Like 1

A bit late to the plaudits, but I agree with all the others that this P-51 is looking every inch a winner. Shame that Airfix got those outer wing flashes wrong however good for you to take to hand painting them for the sake of accuracy. 

Cheers and it’s nearing the finishing line in lovely form.. Dave 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Greg

I recently acquired this Hasegawa Mustang

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/177693-hasegawa-51397-p-51d-mustang

and I will try to use the decals on a Tamiya kit I hope that you do not mind if I build the same aircraft as you ?..

Cheers

Patrice

No problem!😊

Enjoy, the Tamiya kit is a good one.

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

A bit late to the plaudits, but I agree with all the others that this P-51 is looking every inch a winner. Shame that Airfix got those outer wing flashes wrong however good for you to take to hand painting them for the sake of accuracy. 

Cheers and it’s nearing the finishing line in lovely form.. Dave 

Cheers Dave,

Much appreciated mate.

All the best Greg

On 05/12/2018 at 23:56, GREG DESTEC said:

No problem!😊

Enjoy, the Tamiya kit is a good one.

Cheers Greg

Goog morning Greg

Thanks , I will try to start as soon as I have finished the Academy Lightning ...

Cheers

Patrice

• Like 1