Su-35 Flanker E 1/48

I thought I had this one nearly done, all painted in the eggplant gray and light blue scheme, decals on, about to do the panel lines and then I saw this photo of a faded Su-35 with it's uniform dark gray looking far more interesting.

wnrzsfI.jpg

So the decals were removed and the fading began.

1ZfPlc1.jpg

Begemot decals and A.M.U.R Reaver engines were a must for this Kitty Hawk kit as the nozzles are not drooped and the decals have some issues.

LrPvibe.jpg

The kit went together easily with an overall good fit. It certainly has some issues but overall it's a nice kit with a lot of improvements over previous Flankers (particularly after 8 Academy Flanker builds).

I have a couple GWH Su-35s waiting and clearly they are simply a new level of accuracy, quality and sophistication that is amazing. However, like most kits with a bit of extra work the Kitty Hawk builds up nice and looks the part.

The nose gear is something to be warned about, it's nicely detailed but the angle is all wrong because the smaller rear strut is too short. I used an Academy replacement to correct it.

Fja35tk.jpg

I replaced most of the chunky aerials and antennas with thinner plastic card and a few bits of etched brass from the stash plus some B8M-1 rocket pods as seen in an Aviadarts entry.

bkHiQlw.jpg

tc3DQTC.jpgVcAL9Gm.jpgX746LSW.jpgOve5IsB.jpg

diShSU1.jpgm05jwhn.jpg8Ga-yq4I0mwi-6XppksEfQevdDfxP2RzBFV1WFkb14BjYFm.jpgnaS65ja.jpgAjy9zpu.jpgTLLEnE5.jpg

• Like 73
  • Thanks 1

Oh my, that it very nice indeed.  Your last photo sowing the exhaust detail is fantastic - top work Sir.

The faded weathering is absolutely lovely.  Really does show an aircraft that has seen a bit of service.

There is something really purposeful and menacing about the Flanker series of aircraft.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

PS, not so exited about  the old school rocket launcher loadout though...  ;)

I know, I don't think that it will last long! I think it'll eventually get a more deserving modern load but for now I went for the Aviadarts competition load where they generally use unguided munitions. 

8SErEeJ.jpg

• Like 2