Airfix 1/72 Bristol Belvedere

Here's the last of my four builds in the excellent Airfix group build - the Bristol 192 Belvedere. Not one of those classic Airfix kits that stands the test of time - a pretty crude kit, doesn't fit together well, covered in rivets, has an annoying seam down the middle of the glazed nose and represents a prototype rather than the production version. I'd love a new Belvedere kit!

I've made most of the modifications needed to turn it into a production Belvedere HC.1 but won't pretend it's accurate - looks more like a production Belvedere than the kit does though! All the mods are in my build thread here

I've finished it in 72 Sqn markings - 72 Sqn used Belvederes very briefly in the early 60s, replacing them pretty quickly with the Wessex. Decals are a mix of Modeldecal and Xtradecal.

thanks for looking

Z

Airfix 1/72 Belvedere

Airfix 1/72 Belvedere

Airfix 1/72 Belvedere

Airfix 1/72 Belvedere

• Like 47

Well you`ve done a lovely job,..... much better than my two attempts at doing the same!

Could I just point out one very easy to alter thing,...... like the Chinook the two sets of rotor blades would never be seen positioned in the same way, as due to the possibility of the blades hitting each other they would always be intermeshing instead...... ie if the front  rotor was positioned as an `x'  then the rear one would be at `+',.... if you know what I mean? 

Again,.... really well done,..... you`ve brought this old kit into the 21st Century and that takes some doing,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Could I just point out one very easy to alter thing,...... like the Chinook the two sets of rotor blades would never be seen positioned in the same way, as due to the possibility of the blades hitting each other they would always be intermeshing instead...... ie if the front  rotor was positioned as an `x'  then the rear one would be at `+',.... if you know what I mean?

Thanks Tony - easily fixed, one of them isn't glued on!

• Like 1

A terrific looking Belevedere.  I've always thought the one at Hendon was an imposing beast and have pondered getting one although, like you and others here, I'd really like to see a new kit. I am no expert on the type so wouldn't know much about how to upgrade it to a production version.  I wonder if MicroMir have ever considered branching out in to helicopters....

• Thanks 1

That's a fine looking Belvedere. 

You've done a lovely job with the old Airfix kit. 

It's an aircraft that's been sadly neglected in kit form over the years, but hopefully that may change. 

Maintrack did a conversion for the old Airfix kit to bring it up to an in service configuration , but that was many moons ago and that, to the best of my knowledge, is the only one. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone!

10 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

I wonder if MicroMir have ever considered branching out in to helicopters....

Seems to me it would be up S&M's, AMP's or Valom's street. Valom in particular - it would go nicely with the forthcoming Twin Pioneer.

6 hours ago, mackem01 said:

as long as it's 48th though.

I reckon it would look great in 1/48. 

3 hours ago, cngaero said:

Maintrack did a conversion

Sadly it seems to be as rare as rocking horse poo! I've heard that it included replacement clear parts - the clear parts are probably the hardest to deal with in this kit, and I didn't do a great job of it. The other difficult area is the mesh under each engine - the parts in this area on the kit are ok for a prototype but the production version is totally different - my mesh is too coarse, and the complex shape, particularly the rear one, is very hard to replicate. Another reason we need a nice new kit!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zebra said:

Sadly it seems to be as rare as rocking horse poo! I've heard that it included replacement clear parts - the clear parts are probably the hardest to deal with in this kit, and I didn't do a great job of it. The other difficult area is the mesh under each engine - the parts in this area on the kit are ok for a prototype but the production version is totally different - my mesh is too coarse, and the complex shape, particularly the rear one, is very hard to replicate. Another reason we need a nice new kit!

I've actually got a box of this rare old rocking horse poo in my shed. 

Admittedly it's not the best, but it dates back around 30 years ahd did come with resin replacement parts for the nose section, tail section and production stabilisers. The clear vacform canopy is virtually devoid of any framing detail, but it was originally crystal clear, but sadly, due to old age, it has begun to yellow. 

As was stated above, if Valom could be persuaded, it would make a nice stablemate for their forthcoming Twin Pioneer. I feel an email coming on. 

You never know, Airfix may surprise us all in November.......... Just after they announce the Hastings and Single Pioneer 😄

Edited by cngaero
  • Like 2

Very nice and very unusual.  There were some great reminiscences in the September 'Aeroplane Monthly'.  The title of the article was 'Fly in it?  I wouldn't even walk underneath it...."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bryanm said:

'Fly in it?  I wouldn't even walk underneath it...."

I haven't read much about the Belvedere's service life but there has to be a reason it didn't last long in service!

Hi Zebra,

You have made a lovely job of an old kit. I always had a liking for the Belvedere as it could carry a lot of underslung freight, more than the Whirlwind 10. I flew a few times in them at RAF Kuching, Sarawak (66 Sqn), air tests( mad 20 year old fool) I might add ha ha. The indigenous Dayak tribe called them "the flying longhouses" which is apt. The main problem for their short service was their engines - Napier Gazelles which had starting problems and the odd engine explosion on start up. I think if they had solved the engine problems their Service life may have been longer. Great effort Zebra and I would like to see a new kit too but we live in hope ha ha. Cheers mate.

albamac😀

wee footnote: The Belvedere also flew on active service during the Radfan (Aden) campaign with 26 Sqn and gave good service (when serviceable) especially to the Royal Artillery as they could carry an underslung pack howitzer up into the hills.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1