Astute Class Submarine

Next on the building mat, a 1/350 Astuste Class Submarine using the HobbyBoss kit. The Astute Class is the current class of 'Hunter-killer' of the RN, replacing the older Trafalgar Class.

20181013-204542.jpg

Box art

20181013-204611.jpg

Hull halves. The upper hull comes complete the fin and aft planes fitted. Traditionally the fin would have been 2 parts and the after planes 4.

20181013-204633.jpg

Sprue shot that looks like parts for the top of the fin, masts, rudder,propulsion and foreplanes.

20181013-204719.jpg

Some photo-etch.

20181013-204843.jpg

Some 'blurb', instructions and painting call-out.

Looks like a simple build but I've never built a HobbyBoss kit, so that might come back to bite me on the 'arras'.

Stuart

• Like 7

Small update, just to show you that it's moving.

20181015-191553.jpg

Hull halves joined. A scan across the plastic finds a bit of messy plastic at the base of the fin and the odd fine lines of plastic that shouldn't be there, so these were tidied up. A little work is needed along the seem also but the usual PPP and sanding will cure that.

Stuart

• Like 6

Cheers guys.

36 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Good momentum!

Indeed. Thought I'd get the Astute out of the way as I've already got a wooden base for it...:idea:need to get more bases.

9 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Trafalgars were much better-looking boats.

I  think out of all the RN 'nukes', the Astute is best looking; not much difference between the previous subs.

Stuart

• Like 1

Hiya all. Been mucking about with this build and wondering if I'm being stupid...and I'm not... I don't think. I've noticed that part numbers called on instructions are either wrong or the part doesn't exist.

20181019-203601.jpg

Sprue on instruction sheet.

20181019-203634.jpg

The sprue. The bottom quarter is the problem area. Parts 22 & 23 are the aftplanes and are molded as part of the lower hull. Parts 12, 13, 14, 15, 17 & 18 are separate on instructions but

20181019-203715.jpg

here they are molded together under one number, very weird.

20181019-203052-1.jpg

Sorry for the soft image. He we have the forward PE parts fitted. Not sure what the four discs of PE; not capstans as they're the group six and there're lots of them, main vents...must be more than four surely? Any clues as a matter of interest?

I haven't fitted the forplanes yet as I believe that the casing was modified in this area but I don't how soon it went in or how widespread it was. 

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
  • Like 7

After trawling the 'net' for Astutes, this modification seems quite widespread, so I've decided to carry out the same mod.

20181025-192842.jpg

I used the thinnest plasticard to create this. The semi-circle fairing is made from wire and everything was 'faired-in' with PPP.

20181025-201139.jpg

A blast of primer, a temporary fit of the forplanes 'et voila'. I don't think it looks to bad,

Stuart

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Has been a busy few weeks for one thing and another but here is the last update.

20181120-181917.jpg

20181120-182051.jpg

Here we have the now complete Astute on its base. Painted overall with Halfords Satin Black from a rattle can with the side blisters (of whatever they are) painted in Mig Grey Shadow. Coated with Future, decals added and sealed. Hull masked off to apply Tamiya flat varnish to non-slip deck. Mounted my usual way that I'm not happy with nowadays, might have to do something different. 

RFI:

Regards,

Stuart

• Like 6