question regarding Harrier GR3 eingine cover

Lemmy

I built the Harrier Gr3 with open engine covers. For this I used the CMK kit.I believe that the covers are hingeged on a central beam because they seem to have latches to fix them when closed. Unfortunatly the CMK instruction is not clear in this point. I also believe that in case that they are open there have to be struts to keep/secure them in open position.

The question now is: Are there struts and if yes, how do they look like and where are they located or is it a misunderstanding and the covers are not hinged and have to be removed completely from the aircraft to get access to the engine?

Edited by Lemmy

The two covers are actually four as they are split forward and aft, I seem to remember that there are thin props that are at the middle edges of the doors and meet a central beam where the doors are split.  So four props in total.

Aswel as being hinged on that central beam, the panels and the beam could be quickly removed.

I have got pics somewhere but in process of house move at mo.

Edited by 71chally

Hi Christian, I've just have a quick look online and as you've found, there isn't a lot. There are at least two modellers who both seem to think that there were struts – I don't know if they have any evidence or are just guessing.

http://www.hyperscale.com/features/2001/harriergr3pds_1.htm

60713687-cfbe-40f7-abe9-f9825599bd34.pngThis photo is from Pinterest - I don't know if it's copyright or who the modeller is. 

The only actual photo of a real harrier, although it isn't very clear, looks like there isn't any struts.

843e3061-4fae-4e99-afcb-711290ad95ff.png

OK - let me put everyone out of their collective miseries and answer the OP's question.

Firstly and most importantly - WELCOME Lemmy, to the Forum.  You'll have fun here.  

Harrier engine bay doors.  As James (71chally) said - there were four doors.  They were hinged by use of pip pins on a fore and aft central beam over the engine bay.  The beam itself was also held in place by pip pins.  The front pair of doors overlapped the aft pair of doors by about and inch and thus the rear pair of doors could not be opened unless the front pair were also opened.

Also over the engine bay from the fore and aft beam were two transverse beams, one either side of the fore and aft beam, and from the beam to the side of the engine bay.  Again, these transverse beams were held in place by pip pins at the fore and aft beam and at the respective sides of the engine bay.  It was on these transverse beams that the respective doors rested when closed.

Supports for the doors when opened for maintenance comprised a hinged jury strut for each door folded and stored. when not in use. in clips on the inside of the respective door.  When opened, the struts were clipped into the transverse beams, the forward doors struts being clipped to the front of the transverse beams and the rear doors struts clipped to the rear of the transverse beam.

However - during normal maintenance and because the rear door could not be opened without the forward door also being opened, it was generally accepted practice to just apply the rear door strut to the respective transverse beam, the rear door/s holding the forward doors open by the overlap lip on the forward door.

Attached a couple of enlarged photos of the installation in a Sea Harrier - the installation in the early RAF Harriers was identical.  I hope that these will illustrate the points above :-

waQDJHY.jpg

nWyjT9N.jpg

HTH

Dennis

EDIT - I have added a third image showing the attachment of the strut to the rear door.  The foreword door strut can be seen folded on the inside of the forward door :-

RzdWUMS.jpg

Dennis

Edited by sloegin57
IMAGE ADDED
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thank you very much Dennis for this very detailed explaination. This answers all my questions. This also explains why the latches are only present onnthe foreward covers.

Edited by Lemmy