Roden 1/144 720

Tweener

Does anyone know the quality of the 1/144 Boeing 720 by Roden? I tend to stick to military aircraft, finding civil planes rather uninteresting. That said, a certain English rock band did employ a few different 720s for tours, and I have recently had a bit of an interest in recreating one of those 'Led Zeppelins'.

I know that one release of the Roden kit includes markings for Caesars Chariot, one of those very aircraft. Does anyone here know where I might be able to find that boxing?

Thanks, Tweener

Hi,

It's available on eBay. It has been said that the engines are overscale but otherwise it's not a bad kit. Certainly looks like a 720 to me, I can't  comment on the quality of the Caesars Chariot decals though.

Cheers,

Ian 

If you're willing to buy from the UK Kingkit has four Caesar's Chariot kits in stock with a choice of new at £27.89 or "pre-owned" at £22.99, both offering a saving on Hannants' prices.  

Roden made two different versions of the 720. The original boxing, initially issued with United decals, was the 720 and the only significant problem with that kit is the engines which are oversized by a factor of around 25%.  The later release with Pan Am decals was the 720B and it didn't suffer from the over scale engines.  Both kits have minor issues with panel lines particularly on the undersides of the wings but if you want to correct them (personally I wouldn't bother) it's not difficult. 

Caesar's Chariot is the earlier kit so you might want to think about replacing the engines for improved accuracy.  Welsh Models (again in the UK) make replacements.  

HTH

Dave G

• Like 1

Welsh Models produces a more to scale set of Pratt and Whitney JT4 engines. I recently bought a set of these so I could build one of these Roden 720s as an Aerlínte/Eireann/Irish International 720.

One thing to be aware of with Boeing 720s - most 720s had the 707 type tail fin which featureda large pitot tube mounted on the top of the fin. A small number of 720s did not - chiefly those supplied new to United Airlines. The "Ceaser's Chariot" and "Spirits Having Flown" Roden boxings of the 720 are ex-United and don't feature the fin mounted pitot.

The Pan Am 720B produced by Roden DOES feature the fin pitot although being a "B" it has turbofan engines rather than turbojets. 

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 8:07 PM, Tweener said:

Does anyone know the quality of the 1/144 Boeing 720 by Roden? I tend to stick to military aircraft, finding civil planes rather uninteresting. That said, a certain English rock band did employ a few different 720s for tours, and I have recently had a bit of an interest in recreating one of those 'Led Zeppelins'.

I know that one release of the Roden kit includes markings for Caesars Chariot, one of those very aircraft. Does anyone here know where I might be able to find that boxing?

Thanks, Tweener

Ah yes, the Boeing 720 Led Zeppelin 'Caesars Chariot', bought my copy of the kit quite a while ago (as you could probably guess from my Avatar! ) and started it too, but am still yet to finish it, plan to in the near future though if everything works out as I hope.

The basic kit is quite nice actually, but as others have said, there are issues which could be remedied, such as the panel lines, slightly overscale engines etc. Also, the passenger windows are a little on the small side and there are the wrong number of them on both sides of the fuselage. The real 'Caesars Chariot' had 38 on the starboard side and 49 on the port side, the kit has 42 on the starboard side and 48 on the port side. The overwing emergency exit over the starboard wing is a little too far rearward, could be moved forward by a window or two.

However, the main reason I put my kit to one side temporarily are the truly awful decals. The circular 'Icarus' winged man emblems (my Avatar pic) on both sides of the fin/rudder are terrible, quite honestly, with a vague non-descript 'messy' looking image, and the only cheat-lines included in decal form are the Brown ones lined with Yellow, on both sides of the Fin.  The lines along the fuselage sides which surround the windows, which fade from Brown to Yellow, are not included in the kit and will need airbrushing on. The same goes for the band along the fuselage sides, which fades from Dark Blue into Light Blue.

Also, the serial number included in the kit is wrong, in all of the photos that I have collected of this aircraft, the serial number is 'N7224U' on both sides of the lower rear fuselage. The kit serial is 'N7201U'. The decal placement on the instructions for the horse-drawn chariots, on both fuselage sides, is also a wrong. The horse and chariot on the starboard side could be moved forward by maybe a windows distance, and the port one needs moving forward by about six windows distance, so that it is much closer to the forward-most passenger entry door which is just behind the cockpit.

As I mentioned above, I hope to get on with this kit again very soon, and get it finished at last. Been itching for a model of this aircraft in my display cabinet for a LONG time ......!!    :guitar:  

:coolio:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

most 720s had the 707 type tail fin which featureda large pitot tube mounted on the top of the fin.

It's not a pitot tube - it is a HF radio antenna.  HF radio was not required for purely domestic operations as all communication was/is by VHF.  As United at the time was a purely domestic airline their 720s did not need HF radio so did not need the antenna.

Thanks for the correction and the explanation.

When these VHF only 720s were sold on, I presume they must have been retrofitted with some sort of HF aerial as they were used on overseas routes (I remember seeing some of them at Dublin where they sometimes turned up for maintenance).

If they were, where were the HF aerials installed?

• 1 month later...

Not much i can add that hasn't been said already; if there was only one important takeaway, its about the engines. All of the other comments made so far i agree with.

The fans in the 720B  kit are actually very nice, being detailed and accurately proportioned.

One other piece of data coming back from folks who've built the model, is that the raised 'pads" on the wing undersides are more hurt than help when it comes to installing the engines. Its reported that taking these things off helps mounting the pylons in place.

The plastic has a slightly rough pebbly texture but that cleans up quickly with some sanding.

Having said all that, it REALLY looks like a 720 when finished. Probably the best injection-molded 707 currently available in 1/144th.

-d-

• Thanks 1

I have two of the Roden B720 kits. One will be a 720B with parts from the Welsh Model 720B kit but what about new engines for the 720? Is there anything usable in the old Revell 707 series? I have the Lufthansa 707, KC-135 and a E-3A  in the scrap boxes. The Frog kit are wrong I guess.

• 3 months later...

See if I can remember how to use Flickr ......

Decided to crack on with my '720, made some new engines for it in resin, which are slightly smaller in length and diameter (first pic should show resin engine in comparison to kit one). My resin engines are not perfect (in a bit of a rush to get this thing done now after so long!) but they will do for me.

40487865583_e60b76a20a_o.jpg

33577607818_a415cbaf25_o.jpg

33577609068_6dbbe73a64_o.jpg

Just a case of cutting off the kit engines from the pylons, and fixing my resin ones in position. Added some short lengths of rod under the pylons which locate in holes drilled in the engine nacelle tops, to aid positioning.

B)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Are you planning to sell a few copies? I'm sure they'd be very popular!

Ian

Now there's a thought ....!  :lol:

They are now fixed in position, and undercarriage has just been pushed in place for the moment, just to see how things look. Quite happy with it , engines do appear more in proportion to the rest of the airframe. That will do for me.

32513935117_9a5e565739_o.jpg

47455575871_107424073f_o.jpg

B)

• Like 4