Cromwell Mk. IV, Hela, 1:35 Tamiya

moris

I'm intrigued by the top covers over the BESA MGs.  I don't think I've ever seen that before.  As you've modeled a specific vehicle I presume it had them?  Any chance you could post a photo or reference?  the BESA was air-cooled and lacked the finned barrel of its ZB37 progenitor.  Covering over the top of the armoured housing over the barrel would have been problematic with heat build-up.

Flippin' Heck that's a cracker! First serious build? Pah! I doubt Francois Verlinden's first serious build was that good!

I'm going to pick some holes in it, just because I personally like people to pick holes in my work. Firstly, I'm not sure about the ropes on the turret. I'm sure there are some better materials to use. Secondly, there's a spot of mud on the third road wheel (driver's side) that looks a tiny bit darker than any other.

I have one of these in the stash, but I've kind of consigned it to 'maybe one day, maybe never' shelf as I didn't think it looked very 'photogenic'. How I've changed my mind!

Stunning work.

Rearguards,

Badder

15 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

I'm intrigued by the top covers over the BESA MGs.  I don't think I've ever seen that before.  As you've modeled a specific vehicle I presume it had them?  Any chance you could post a photo or reference?  the BESA was air-cooled and lacked the finned barrel of its ZB37 progenitor.  Covering over the top of the armoured housing over the barrel would have been problematic with heat build-up.

Sure, there are a lot of photos of that specific tank:

cromwell-692x360.jpgPIC_24-372-3.jpg636175067272742705.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks.  Interesting.

These are all command tanks with dummy turret guns and the extra No19 set antenna base on the turret front roof (not used in any of the photos).  I hadn't noticed the dummy gun on the model: I probably took it for a 6pdr.  IIRC in my dusty brain, Hela was the Divisional commander's tank of 1st Polish Armd Div.  AOS 40 on black fits for this.  If so, the fella in the commander's hatch in the bottom photo is probably General Stanislaw Maczek himself.

I wonder if the hull guns are actually dummies too, then?  The top photo shows the front "gunner" using a radio handset and in the middle photo there's a headset by his hatch, so perhaps the additional set was installed or relocated there.  The Divisional commander wouldn't expect to be anywhere near a tank fight and a single hull-mounted MG was of limited value.  Div HQ would have had its own defence troop.

And, having now seen the photos, I will withdraw my criticism of the 'ropes' on your Cromwell's turret. Yours look to be good matches for the real ones!

I stand fast on that slightly darker spot of mud on the wheel though.

Rearguards,

Badder