1-48 Hasegawa F-14A (aka Tomcat FRS.1A) in the Fleet Air Arm

Kallisti

Basic colours are now on:

DSC_1391.JPG

DSC_1393.JPG

So that is a white underside and Extra Dark Sea Grey aka Tamiya XF-77 on top. This now needs to be Kleared which will happen later today in prep for decals and weathering. Some detailing also needs to be done...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It's looking good. The older pre-low-vis grey schemes, whether RN or USN, just look so much better on a Tomcat. For that matter, the 1940s memorial schemes of recent years also look great on RAF aircraft. I loved that Typhoon in BoB camo, and the other aircraft in similar paint jobs (Hawk in 19 Sqn livery, c.1938, and a Tucano celebrating 100 years of 72 Sqn) looked great as well.

And Vitaliy, if the RN bought Tomcats, I could easily imagine the RAF getting them in place of Tornado ADVs (F.2 and F.3 versions). British Aerospace, as it was then, would have complained bitterly, but the Treasury would have argued that a larger Tomcat buy was cheaper than developing the ADV solely for the RAF. Given the timescale, they'd have likely been A models because the F110 engine hadn't been developed yet, so they would have been known as the Tomcat F.3 in RAF service. The RAF would have wanted the Phoenix from the outset, as the aircraft's primary role would have been bomber-busting.

They might have been upgraded to F-14B standard later, and could have been equipped with the TARPS pod and possibly fitted with the AN/APG-71 radar as well, in which case the Tomcat FR.4 would have been a very useful aircraft. The FGR.5 version, equivalent to a late service "Bombcat", would have been even more so.😁 Nice dream... 😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Last few photos before Telford - almost there!!! Decals and dirt applied, undercarriage attached 

DSC_1423.JPG

DSC_1424.JPG

You can see in the second pic the exhausts that have been painted with Alclad and overpainted with burnt metal. Finally the wings

DSC_1425.JPG

So thats it for now, I'm off to Telford in a couple of hours and won't be back until Monday so hopefully I'll have enough time on Monday to complete the final assembly and put a matt varnish coat over before our club meeting on Monday night! :)

See you at Telford... if you are on a table in Hall 1, I will be coming to take your photo at some point during the weekend for the IPMS magazine :D

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Probably too late to fix but by the time the Phantom (XT & XV serials) would have been replaced the Tomcat would have been issued XZ - ZA range serials as it would have been 1980 or thereabouts.

Non the less, a great Whiff and a lovely bit of modelling!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...