Thunder Models, Scammell Pioneer Recovery, Civilian Livery - Wynns 1:35

Earlier this year I built the IBG Scammell Recovery as a military diorama. I wanted to build the Thunder Models version as well but this time I've built it as a post-war vehicle in civilian livery, in particular in the very eye-catching colours of Wynns haulage firm.

Here is the build thread:

Here are the completed photos:

DSC_1287.JPG

DSC_1290.JPG

DSC_1291.JPG

DSC_1294.JPG

DSC_1295.JPG

DSC_1302.JPG

DSC_1288.JPG

DSC_1289.JPG

DSC_1299.JPG

DSC_1300.JPG

DSC_1296.JPG

This is not an easy kit to build, in my opinion it suffers from the problem a lot of modern kits have been through which is too many parts. Specifically I mean manufacturers inflating the parts count unnecessarily to make it look better. For example, the Goodyear front tyres which I didn't use came as 5 parts, 2 sidewalls with the outer tread plus three parts which made up each individual tread of the tyre:

DSC_0990.JPG

This means if you get the tiniest bit of extra glue in the joins, the gaps between the treads get blocked up! Even the Firestone tyres I used from the kit had a silly method of assembly. Both this and the IBG kit have wheels made up of 3 parts, but whereas the IBG had the the main tread as one piece and then 2 sidewall/hubs, the Thunder models kit has the joint halfway across the tread pattern so you end up with a gap all the way around that in my mind is next to impossible to fix

DSC_1001.JPG

I did like the engine and drive-train detail plus the ability to have the boxes on the rear deck open (although I've got them closed at the moment, I've just tacked them on with PVA glue with the option of opening them again later to load up with accessories). I also like the cab detail and the option to have the doors open. The Thunder Models kit is much more accurate to the real than than the IBG, but it is (IMO) far from perfect.

• Like 15

• 1 month later...

Great looking build !

Useless information.......my godfather was production manager at Scammells in Watford in the 50's, possibly earlier, didn't know him that well........

He obviously made an impression......

Rog

• Like 1