Slightly less than accurate Crane replicas – 1/32, 1/72 AND 1/144 (I may be taking a bit of a liberty here).

Okay okay, so not really an aircraft, but it's a sort of model of a flyie thing so failing anywhere else to put it…

I think it's important to keep learning new skills, and making origami cranes is a skill I learnt yesterday: :smile:

6cd6219e-5984-4689-8fa1-ea681d781c51.JPG

In a cynical bid to amass major brownie-points, I'm planning to make something for Mrs Gorby's for Christmas. Not saying what it is going to be (as I may fail miserably) but if all goes well I'll need several cranes of varying sizes.

f0755cbf-125e-4c3d-80ef-d729ea0319e5.JPG

Typically, I decided to see how far I could push it:

dffabbd5-a5cc-44bb-be14-86742fed424b.JPG

They are completely out of the box (well the paper came out of a box) shockingly, there doesn't seem to be an Eduard etch for a crane in any scale! I left them unrigged and decided not to go for the resin aftermarket upgrade plumage. As you can see, I went for a what-if scheme depicting the camo of the psychedelic flower-power hairyforce of the early 60's. The rivet counters amongst you will be screaming that I didn't get the right shade of pink, and the beaks are fractionally too short, but I my argument is that I don't give a monkeys.

Thanks for looking - Gorby

• Like 14
  • Haha 6

This is seriously addictive.

I've just made a smaller one, although I had to use thinner paper and tweezers to do it. I don't think I'll try anything smaller than this….. yet.

41e43874-00d1-42af-a0be-c9d3916bfa1d.JPG

Perhaps 1/44 scale modelling is feasible after all.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 13/10/2018 at 22:36, Duckwizard said:

Maybe a little weathering? 😛

You suggesting that my cranes should look like unwashed slobs? The nerve. :wink:

The hippy hairyforce didn't see much action (I know the feeling) as they were usually too spaced out to give a damn, so other than a few 'grass' stains they wouldn't have looked very grubby.

And the last one doesn't need weathering as it's a chick, fresh out of the bird factory (that's where they come from don't they?). 🐣

On 13/10/2018 at 23:27, Uncle Pete said:

Airfix, Revell or Matchbox?

Silly me I forgot to say, but as these are an Asian species and from the accuracy issues and the vague grasp of reality, it should be obvious that they are without doubt Trumpeter.

I may need to be admitted to some sort of clinic before I fill the house with these things.

Send help!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Always good to stretch your modelling muscles in new ways - those are splendid

I’ve been similarly messing about with laser cutting and ply and producing some very non scale mobiles (some thinks that look vaguely Hawk-like and pterosaurs) and a retro rocket in undeterminate scales

45258645402_c655acd089_b.jpg

44395330205_376ec5b2bb_b.jpg

31433270728_264d0fa931_b.jpg

31433270908_36905a2116_b.jpg

Are the cranes going to be used in a mobile? If so would on of the lasercut frames be any use to you? 8 arms - I’ve painted the prototypes but the lasercut ply looks ok bare

• Like 5

1 hour ago, LostCosmonauts said:

I’ve been similarly messing about with laser cutting and ply and producing some very non scale mobiles (some thinks that look vaguely Hawk-like and pterosaurs) and a retro rocket in undeterminate scales

Those are fantastic. I particularly like the pterosaurs. Laser cutters look a very interesting bit of kit – don't temp me.

Yes they are intended to end up as a mobile, but a desktop one rather than a ceiling hanging one. We saw some when we were on holiday and although they were affordable, I instantly thought 'I could do that'. Thanks for the offer (I think it was an offer) about the frames, but I'm a reasonably competent wood worrier and I have an idea about using some thin oak pieces that I've got. If that looks too heavy against the delicate cranes I may rethink – possibly clear acrylic or wire frame. :think:

I don't like my poor lonely brain cells to get to lazy, so I like to give them practical puzzles to solve.

• Like 1

Yup, intended as an offer - still open if you eventually decide on acrylic as it’ll cut that nicely as well

It is in a fab lab in the local library - there are similar open access centres all over so if you fancy a play with one look them up

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Yup, intended as an offer

Thanks very much, I'll keep that in mind.

2 minutes ago, LostCosmonauts said:

It is in a fab lab in the local library - there are similar open access centres all over so if you fancy a play with one look them up

I didn't know that.

16 minutes ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Is this one handy for you? http://www.covfablab.org.uk Laser cutting, CNC, 3D printing,... all sorts of neat toys

Thanks again. I didn't know that these places existed. :penguin:

9 minutes ago, Ratch said:

How about figures 🛎️

I did consider that, but decided that line of thinking was too rational for me.

Perhaps the eventual mobile could go in RFI 'dioramas'.

Edited by Gorby
addition

1 minute ago, Gorby said:

That reassures me a little, my rational thought seems to be better than yours. :phew: 

I misunderstood - I thought the object was to think outside the box :doh:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Uncle Pete said:

Get it down to half a Rizla and you'll really be onto something!

Then apparently I'm onto something. The last one was less than half the size of a standard Rizla - 20mm square.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 303sqn said:

My small exhibition at Sostrene Grene last year. Grey bird near the till is a crane.

That's just showing off. :wink:

Looks like an amazing display (I'll admit that your crane is a tiny bit better than mine).

Looks like I've got some catching up to do. Where's that paper….?

• 1 month later...

I've finally got around to completing Mrs Gorby's crane mobile Christmas prezzie. This is the second attempt - the first one I used different sized cranes but the eventual mobile ended up too big. This one is 6.5 inches tall. Not perfect but the best I can manage.

7EdZvCKYIlafW1Xs463D8kcjFSjl3ZqBCAgDXyzJ     lMQ2zT8Dc8ikeEq2BAMeNAhcso6sdiTM4owzbN6m

I can't decide if it looks better with the piece of origami paper (which is the same size the cranes are made from) on the base or not, so opinions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 2