On the Beach

Paul821

The models that appear in the initial view of this Diorama all come from the recent Airfix Golden years GB. After rather too many years of planning I have finally started work on a series of linked dioramas that will contain an operating model railway. I each of the dioramas the focus is not on the railway but on what ese is happening.

The scenario is a demonstration use of landing craft on a beach which has a railway running alongside it. Here is the starting point:

diorama 2

Work will be slow in this as modelling time is limited and this will take a back seat to other modelling tasks. It will be worked on while paint dries elsewhere.

• Like 7

I'm looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

One question.... is this a D-Day landing scenario? Because if it is, I do wonder if the trains would have been running! ;)

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder

1 minute ago, Badder said:

is this a D-Day landing scenario?

The idea is that some top brass (to be added) are watching a demonstration landing somewhere in England on the build up to D-day. To an extend it is a whif unless I find some evidence to prove that such a event actually took place.

5 hours ago, Paul821 said:

The idea is that some top brass (to be added) are watching a demonstration landing somewhere in England on the build up to D-day. To an extend it is a whif unless I find some evidence to prove that such a event actually took place.

Oh, cool. well yes, such practice landings did take place. One was a complete distaster, when German torpedo boats saw one happening and attacked, killing loads.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-27185893

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder

Now that @BIG X has put his head above the waves in this thread, I can blame him (in the nicest possible way) as it was his combination  of the church, windmill and pontoon bridge into one Diorama during the Airfix Classic Years GB that inspired me to join the GB and has lead to this thread. If this diorama is 10% as good as his I will be well pleased.

As a tribute to him I am going to include these gentlemen:

canoe

For the reason you could read the Pontoon Thread or go directly to

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Although, being retired, I am not usually constrained in modelling time, this week was a little hectic and what time there I had was taken up on a build for another diorama. Also I have been looking at how to best depict the water.

The contribtions in @BIG X pontoon helped, and then I came across "An 'MLP' modelling thread for your Daughter - Curious??" by @Army_Air_Force which is a great thread and set my off down the painted PVA route.

My main inspiration goes back many years to the mid 1960's (yes I was there and can remember the 60'd) when Airfix had a stand at an exhibition in London - for school boys? On the stand I seem to recall Chris Ellis had a diorama of a D-day landing, which has stayed with me.. So I thought I go old school for part of the build.

Rather than run the risk of spoiling the main diorama I am trying out the intended technique as follows

DSC02260

Interior Filer to provide the base - creek for the marines to the left and the beach to the left

DSC02261

Coat of ye olde powder paint! Which I have had in store for many years, The sea is a typical English grey but I tried putting more green then yellow towards the shallows and beach. There are some white tops to the breakers but that does not show up well.

DSC02262

Then the first coat of craft-shop PVA glue.

So all I have to do now is wait until tomorrow to see how the PVA has dried out.

• Like 5