1/72 Airfix Starter Kit Hurricane

I was given this kit from a colleague at work as the scale was a little too big (he plays war games so all his models are microscopic in comparison!)

I've not built a kit for 15+ years and this is was the first one i've ever airbrushed, weathered and attempted to panel line. It's been an interesting build and i've learnt A LOT!

• Always use Revell Contacta for gluing small parts, my fingers aren't as small as they used to be
  • Use Tamiya masking tape and not normal tape otherwise you don't get clean edges (don't ask, I spent ages then using bluetac and re-spraying edges)
  • You can use isopropyl to dilute tamiya acrylics but don't use it for the clear or flat coats. I sprayed a flat coat to see all my decals go a milky white 😨
  • Use putty to fill panel gaps, it'll save time messing around with 10+ year old milliput
  • Check before gluing, I accidentally glued the wheels on the opposite side so spent ages tweaking them so it'd sit on the flats of the tyre and not breaking the landing gear
  • Next time use a silver pencil to details wear marks

It's not the best detailed, painted or perhaps accurate model (I sanded the canvas lines behind the gun bays, but I'm not happy with the landing lights) but i'm relatively pleased with the outcome. I learnt a lot about using our Badger 155 anthem airbrush so hopefully things can only get better

IMG_0751_zpsyhrz8tdi.jpg

IMG_0753_zpsgttqkxph.jpg

IMG_0754_zpsqo131h7i.jpg

IMG_0756_zps6tdtadre.jpg

• Like 34

Well I think you have made a splendid job of that...   You have got the decals spot on, I got slight silvering on mine, and the ariel wire is great... Canapy also looks excellent in the pics.   It's a brilliant kit especially for the price.   You just need a Spit and a 109 in the same series to compliment it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hairtrigger said:

Well I think you have made a splendid job of that...   You have got the decals spot on, I got slight silvering on mine, and the ariel wire is great... Canapy also looks excellent in the pics.   It's a brilliant kit especially for the price.   You just need a Spit and a 109 in the same series to compliment it.

Oh don’t tempt me, I’ve been looking at the eduard bf109’s. I have to admit the overall quality of the kits have improved greatly compared to when I was in my teenage years but I guess CAD and manufacturing methods have also improved 🙂

• Haha 1

If you enjoyed yourself, the project was a success. No other metric matters.

That said, I'd be happy with that if it was a current build of mine. Not perfect, but not an embarrassment either. Well done.

Jeepers, I haven't stopped building kits for 15 years but would be really happy if mine turned out as good as this!  A great paint finish and what looks like a perfect satin sheen to me. 

Nicely done Neil, A good way to deal with those ill fitting lights is fill/glue them with odourless cyano and then micromesh/future hem. Masking is easy as its just a rectangle of tape. You can see it on  my build of KWZ that you commented on last month. The kit is no Hasegawa but it goes together OK and has lovely cockpit detail beautifully hidden by a flawed canopy.

I notice you used the correct aerial as opposed to the bit of broom handle & clothesline the Science Museum has bunged on the current incarnation of KWZ (which I lovingly replicated). 

Enough about mine, you've hidden the seams, made a great  job of the thick Airfix decals including avoiding silvering and made peace  with your airbrush, build more!

1 minute ago, azureglo said:

Then get on with it!!🙂

Ease off! I've had part of me guts removed and I'm healing. Also a bit lazy. Just waiting for the mojo to kick in a bit more.

Chris

• Like 1