WW1 paints

BarmyBrumie

A source of lacquer based acrylic or enamel colours (that don't require mixing) covering WW1 subjects would be really useful. I do have Colourcoats RFC and French colours which are great but the German colours elude me. I have the AK German set but I am not keen on water based acrylics even though a lot of people get great results from them.

Duncan B

I have spent a long time mixing, diluting and generally faffing with AK paint, Vallejo paint, etc. etc. but always go back to Tamiya ‘Acrylics’. I know the colours are limited but Wingnuts put all the leg work in with their Instruction books.  All the mixing instructions are in there and it does allow you to vary the colours too.  
Andrew.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bear Paw said:

I have spent a long time mixing, diluting and generally faffing with AK paint, Vallejo paint, etc. etc. but always go back to Tamiya ‘Acrylics’. I know the colours are limited but Wingnuts put all the leg work in with their Instruction books.  All the mixing instructions are in there and it does allow you to vary the colours too.  
Andrew.  

I am rapidly approaching the painting stage on my first ever WnW build (incredible that I was surrounded by the things but hadn't made one until now!) and have the Tamiya paints so mixing will be the way to go for now.

Duncan B

• Like 1

I find it the best way to go Duncan. I mix the main colours in quantity and put them in empty Tamiya paint pots ready thinned with X-20A. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

James S -- 

Re your question on brush painting Misterkit -- I say yes.  In fact, they are one of the few (only?) paints I have ever used that the brush painting touch-up is indistinguishable from the spray-painted portion.  As I said above, a primer is needed.  But I have not brush painted large sections, only touch-up.

Duncan --  I realize I may be late to your game here, but you might try Drooling Bulldog for German paints, although when I bought some about a year before, the colors were limited to Albatros and Fokker (?).  Maybe some British, too  -- time to visit his website again.  And I can't say I have tried any of them yet. 

Good luck, all, 

Bob C 

Edited by Bob C.
  • Thanks 1

Sorry about that.  I should have given a link.  In an attempt to make up for my faux pas, I shall provide 2 links to reviews.  It appears that at least a couple people hold them in their good graces.

https://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/6905-drooling-bulldog-paints/

https://brexitmodeller.com/forums/topic/472-drooling-bulldog-paints/

Bob C

Edited by Bob C.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bob C. said:

Sorry about that.  I should have given a link.  In an attempt to make up for my faux pas, I shall provide 2 links to reviews.  It appears that at lest a couple people hold them in their good graces.

https://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/6905-drooling-bulldog-paints/

https://brexitmodeller.com/forums/topic/472-drooling-bulldog-paints/

Bob C

Thanks for the links Bob. I have previously looked on their website but didn't make a purchase as I'd never read any reviews of the paints. I will go back and have another look now though.

Duncan B

Thank you for the information Bob. I have looked this range of paints before but resisted. Mainly because I don’t know what type they are? Buying more specific  thinners and cleaners brings on a feeling of CBA and the old adage of it is not broken don’t fix it.  
What type of paint is it btw?  

Andrew.  

ps just looked and it is a lacquer type acrylic with a fine pigment and a translucent.  

Edited by Bear Paw
Add info

2 hours ago, Bear Paw said:

Thank you for the information Bob. I have looked this range of paints before but resisted. Mainly because I don’t know what type they are? Buying more specific  thinners and cleaners brings on a feeling of CBA and the old adage of it is not broken don’t fix it.  
What type of paint is it btw?  

Andrew.  

ps just looked and it is a lacquer type acrylic with a fine pigment and a translucent.  

It says in the reviews they are enamels (but lacquer makes sense too). It also says they can be thinned with Mr Thinners (which isn't a surprise as I find that thins other enamels quite nicely).

Duncan B

4 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

It says in the reviews they are enamels (but lacquer makes sense too). It also says they can be thinned with Mr Thinners (which isn't a surprise as I find that thins other enamels quite nicely).

Duncan B

First link, (largescalemodeller) post 5, says they are lacquers...........

Paul.

• Thanks 1

When I made my purchase in Feb 2018 (direct from DB), I asked the owner some questions as to the color nomenclature and uses.  He did reply to me with the info I needed.  I am now looking for that email, without much luck so far.   If I find it, I will post it.    

• Like 2

Found it!!

Below is the email with my questions, and Sergey's (Drooling Bulldog's) answers.

Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 5:21 AM
To: Bob Cope
Subject: Re: Recent paint order

Hello Bob! You shouldn't mix paints, all necessary shades it is possible to get. For an albatross you will be to demand these paints:
it is

gray green on a cowl and disks of wheels https://www.droolingbulldog.com/products/grauesgrun/
green https://www.droolingbulldog.com/products/chromoxid/
light green https://www.droolingbulldog.com/products/blassgrun/
red brown https://www.droolingbulldog.com/products/caput-mortuum/
light blue, wing bottom https://www.droolingbulldog.com/products/b-l-a-s-b-l-a-u-e-r/

In assortment there are almost all primary colors which you can demand for allied aircraft too. When you do the order, remind me of missing colours.

King Regards Sergey

15. 2. 2018 20:03, Bob Cope пишет:

Hello Sergey,

No, there was no damage at all.  I am going to order some more paints, but have a question or two. 

Your description of Chromoxid green (CT7G) says “Green pigment that was used as the basic top coat of the German’s green camouflage color.  As the pigment only, it was used for its dark green color, but after mixing it with the zinc white, the final result was a light green shade.  These pigments were then used among the others for the top camouflage colouring for the Albatros planes.”

I will want the colors to paint the early Albatros (I, II), in other words, the dark green, light green, and brown.  I would prefer not to have to mix.  Could you tell me which paints I need?   It looks like Caput Mortuum, but which ones for the dark and light green?  Is Chromoxid green the dark green, then I have to mix chromoxid green with white to get the light green?  If so, what proportion green to white? 

When I order the paints, should I order through the e-shop, or let you know by emaIl, so you will know to include the missing paints?  

Thank you for the quick response.  Am looking forward to using these paints  -- someday, after all the other planned projects.    Hope you are considering expanding into colors of other WWI combatants.  I have a ton of Misterkit paints, but many of the ones I bought years ago are going bad, and I really prefer not to work with water-based paints.

Thank you again,

Bob Cope      

• Like 1

For (especially) Duncan B. --Here is a link to a prior discussion about WWI paints.  In post #17, I give a couple links to a then-WIP Eduard SPAD XIII (1/72), using all (I think  -- maybe not the black?)  MisterKit.  I still stand by what I said  -- they spray on beautifully, and brush touch-up perfectly.  Other criticism of their fragility is somewhat valid, though.  All the handling needed for rigging and final assembly took some paint off leading edges -- but that's where brush touch-up ease came in quite handy.  Not that I'm an expert, or close to one, but I was happy with the colors, except maybe for the tan (should be darker?).  But at that stage, I wasn't going to go looking for an alternative. 

Oh, just to clarify -- the "then-WIP" I refer to above was a personal WIP, not anything posted to this, or any other, website.  So don't go looking for it.  You'll only get frustrated. 

Though, if anyone wants any, I probably do have some actual WIP photos. 

Bob C 

• Like 1

Good heavens.  What I just posted above was a repeat of what I posted on this same thread, but about 2 years ago.  Sorry about that.  Talk about "losing the thread" on something.😳

Bob C

Edited by Bob C.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Bob C. said:

Good heavens.  What I just posted above was a repeat of what I posted on this same thread, but about 2 years ago.  Sorry about that.  Talk about losing the thread on something.😳

Bob C

Don't worry Bob, you are not alone. I was going to reply to say I had read that post somewhere before!

Duncan B

• Like 1