WW1 paints

BarmyBrumie

I'm trying to find out WW1 paints made in Italy,  i 1st notice when buying modeled magazine so i brought some tinlets which were good too, so my question is who made them and if still available to buy,

thanks in advance 👍

Your mention of WW1 paints from Italy immediately reminds me of MisterKit - but never seen them in tinlets, only plastic or glass bottles. 

They have redesigned their web site, and the only image they provide for their paints is a digital colour sample.   With over 240 colours in this brand, that is  a lot to look through since they don't have sub-categories to narrow your search:

https://www.misterkit.com/shop/complex/category/16992293/brand/16992586/?&sort-order-field=&sort-order-type=&product-page=90&page=1

regards,

Jack

Hello George, glad to help out.

I found old this listing of their WW1 paints which may be of help:

MK-AH05 Albatros Dark Green
MK-GC05 Albatros Green
MK-GC02 Albatros Mauve
MK-GC03 Albatros Pale Blue
MK-GC04 Albatros Pale Green
MK-GC01 Albatros Red Brown
MK-FR01 Aluminium
MK-BC06 Amapdt Reddish Brown RFC/RAF
MK-AH09 Basalt Grey Austro-Hunary
MK-FR10 Beige
MK-AH07 Blaugrau Austro-Hungary
MK-FC14 Bleu Cocardes
MK-FR05 Chestnut Brown
MK-AH01 Clear Doped Linen Austro-Hungary
MK-FR04 Clear Doped Linen
MK-IT05 Clear Doped Linen (Dark)
MK-IT04 Clear Doped Linen (Light) Italian
MK-BC05 CLEAR DOPED LINEN RFC/RAF
MK-FR11 Dark Green
MK-GC06 Fokker Olive Green
MK-AH03 Fokker Pale Green
MK-GC10 German Clear Doped Linen
MK-GC14 German Jasta 10 Yellow
MK-GC15 German Jasta 11 Red
MK-GC08 German Light Grey
MK-GC13 German Naval Clear Doped Linen
MK-GC11 German Naval Light Blue/Grey
MK-GC12 German Naval Light Grey
MK-GC16 German Off White
MK-GC17 German Pfalz Silbergrau
MK-GC07 Fokker Torquoise
MK-GC09 German Sky Blue
MK-GC18 Gotha Bluish White
MK-GC19 Gotha Dark Green
MK-GC22 Gotha DayLight Bombing BWE
MK-GC20 Gotha L.V.G. Built Blue
MK-GC21 Gotha L.V.G. Built Dark Violet German
MK-FR07 Light Blue
MK-FR12 Light Green
MK-FR09 Light Grey Green
MK-BC04 NIVO RFC/RAF
MK-BC03 PC-10 RFC/RAF
MK-BC02 PC-12 RFC/RAF
MK-AH06 Phonix Dark Green
MK-AH04 Phonix Medium Brown
MK-AH08 Platinum Grey
MK-AH02 Sworl Yellow Austro-Hungary

MK-AH10 Austro-Hungarian Flag Red
MK-FR02 French Roundel blue
MK-FR03 French light yellow
MK-FR06 French Roundel Red
MK-FR08 Medium Brown
MK-FC18 Noir (Grease Black)
MK-IT01 Italain Camouflage Green
MK-IT02 Italian Camouflage Light brown
MK-IT03 Italian Camouflage Red
MK-IT06 Italian Flag Red
MK-IT07 Italian Flag Green
MK-BC07 British Roundel Red
MK-BC08 British Roundel Blue
MK-RU01 Russian Roundel Red
MK-RU02 Russian Roundel Blue
MK-RU03 Russian Clear Doped Linen
MK-RU04 Russian Dark olive Green
MK-RU05 Russian Light Blue Grey
MK-USAS01 US Cream Yellow
MK-USAS02 US Grey
MK-USAS03 US Olive Drab

regards,

Jack

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Paul Thompson said:

They've always been acrylics, at least the WWI colours. Thinnable with water, but if you add a few drops of Johnson's Klear/Future or the modern equivalent it also toughens them up and improves their sticking power.

Thanks for the info. I shall have to hunt down some of these paints. Perhaps I should keep my eyes peeled at the D/CDN Maple Leaf show in Bühl in a fortnight's time (next big not-online-order stash-enhancing opportunity for me).
I'll try the Klear addition to some Vallejo stuff I've got that falls off if I look at it aslant.

Definitely acrylics, and probably the worst paints I have ever had the misfortune to use!  The opacity is poor, they have a tendency to disassociate from the thinner when airbrushing and  if you do eventually get a reasonable finish, it's incredibly fragile. The last time I tried them, I added some Klear to the paint, but it barely improved matters. I'd bought something like thirty-odd bottles of the stuff and ended up writing them off as a bad investment.

Awful stuff!

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Apart from the WW1 paints, I bought a number of their WW2 Luftwaffe paints. Their RLM 75 Grauviolett was darker than their RLM 74 Graugrün by a considerable amount, when it should be the other way round. They weren't just mislabelled, as the Grauviolett was certainly a purplish grey and the Graugrün similarly was a greenish grey. I've not known any other paint manufacturer make such a schoolboy error. I also thought their PC10 was too pale and too green, so far off as to be no use whatsoever. It did make me question how accurate their other paints were.

I remember having a discussion with a few other modellers over at Hyperscale many years ago and I don't think any of them were impressed either, though that's where I got the suggestion of mixing in some Klear to make the paint a little harder wearing and less likely to separate from the thinner in mid-air! I also seem to remember reading that some of the paint shades were matched to the faked samples provided by the disgraced WW1 "historian", so I think the phrase caveat emptor definitely applies here!

Cheers,

Mark.

• Thanks 1

I use Mr Kit paints exclusively for my WWI models and love them. I've had no problems with coverage at all and they spray beautifully. I think they changed their formula a couple of years ago because of complaints.

Ian

• Thanks 1

I'm in complete agreement with Paul Thomspon and Limeypilot - get the thinning right and they are a joy to spray, and although initially a bit translucent they stand multiple layering when wet. Like Paul, I add a little future which certainly makes them more resilient when dry. Difficult to give an amount to add, because they have variable viscosities in the bottle, but as a rule of thumb, 50% paint, 30% water and 20% Future works well for me. I've tried other specific acrylic thinners, but none gives as good a finish as using water. 

Its just a shame that Albion Alloys no longer seems to sell them

Jon

• Thanks 1

George, 

If I can make Imgur work, here are a couple photos of Eduard 1/72 SPAD XIII done completely with MisterKit paints in 2016/17; paints were purchased a couple years prior.   I believe I used a light gray (Floquil) lacquer primer, paints were thinned with distilled water (I forget proportion -- enough water to spray easily).  I have not been a fan of acrylic paints, but these all worked great, though may have needed 2 coats. 

https://imgur.com/AxSWPJ3

https://imgur.com/tKbfxrh

https://imgur.com/oxGczN8

I got the paints direct from Italy, with no real problems.

Good luck.

Bob C 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/17/2018 at 10:04 AM, limeypilot said:

I use Mr Kit paints exclusively for my WWI models and love them. I've had no problems with coverage at all and they spray beautifully. I think they changed their formula a couple of years ago because of complaints.

Ian

Can you brush paint using Misterkit paints? I'm thinking of getting some of the German WW I colors, but wasn't sure as I don't want to buy something you can't braush [aint with.

Thanks,

James

Besides Misterkit, are there any paints out there, World War I Aircraft Colors, that you can brush paint?

Also, what about Vallejo? They have a few Air War Color Sets I'm interested in, is Vallejo good for brush painting?

Thanks again,

James

I think Misterkit is no longer in production as I can't find the original page and have not had a reply from his personal email.

I have no idea about brush painting Vallejo, but they come in a dropper bottle so you can't dip a brush in.

Ian

5 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

I think Misterkit is no longer in production as I can't find the original page and have not had a reply from his personal email.

I have no idea about brush painting Vallejo, but they come in a dropper bottle so you can't dip a brush in.

Ian

Mr Kit paints are still available from the Italian producers, Misterr Kit. Good luck with that though. As I said in another recent thread regarding the American importer (who has stopped), you can place an order with no trouble until you come to pay, but at that point you are blocked from proceeding unless you have an Italian fiscal number, which people outside Italy do not have. I've heard rumours you can just make one up but not tested it.

Over in the UK they were for a long time imported by Aeroclub, and Albion Alloys. Obviously, things have changed...............

Paul.

4 hours ago, James S. said:

Besides Misterkit, are there any paints out there, World War I Aircraft Colors, that you can brush paint?

Also, what about Vallejo? They have a few Air War Color Sets I'm interested in, is Vallejo good for brush painting?

Thanks again,

James

yes, but it's fragile,  note there are different types of Vallejo.  Model Color is for brushing, Model Air for airbrushing, though i find you need to thin Vallejo Model Color a bit to brush,  I get  1 ml syringe, suck up 0.95 ml water, then suck up 0.05 ml flow improver, I used de-ionised or distilled water, 

2 hours ago, limeypilot said:

You don't want to,  shake the bottle really well, consistency varies so sometimes, sometime you need to add water...

I then use a pallette, and a few drops of paint, (you can even add just a drop) and add drop by drop the water/flow improver mix, easy too add tiny amounts,  looking for it to be like semi skim milk.  Paint with a flat brush.

Vallejo is pretty delicate, last time I used a brushed on coat of tamiya as a undercoat, which has a bit more bite.  tamiya also responds well to the water/flow improver mix in a pallete.  

Thinned like this and brushed on thin, they dry really fast, you can pretty much get to one end of a small model and do the 2nd coat. 

Just been reading about mixing in Klear with Vallejo, which I will try as it's mostly matt, and may toughen it up and save a gloss coat, may affect it's opacity.

Note Vallejo is a latex acrylic,  Tamiya is not, they don't intermix. Tamiya is a 'hot' acrylic, in as much as it can be thine with cellulose thinners, in the US lacquer thinners, add that to Vallejo and it turns to jelly.

4 hours ago, James S. said:

are there any paints out there, World War I Aircraft Colors, that you can brush paint?

AK interactive do a set of ww1 german

https://ak-interactive.com/product/wwi-german-aircraft-colors/

which AFAIK are the same as Vallejo in paint type

AK-2270-WW1-GERMAN-AIRCRAFT-COLOURS-2018

I don't know how good the colours are, some of the AK sets are laughably bad (WW2 USN/USMC for example)

HTH

• Like 2