Hasegawa p-40n/ Airfix Dinah

PhantomBigStu

I remember the Dinah coming out. I got Airfix magazine at the time. A kid in my class bought one . I was straight down to Woolies in Walton on Thames that Saturday to buy one. The box art above doesn't ring bells though , sure it was different . The kit is probably still in a suitcase in my parent's loft .

Hopefully Dinah will make it, high bidder on a 2nd kit on eBay, as for the p40 upper sanding mostly done, forgot about some sprue damage on the starboard wing, once that’s corrected I’ll mask of the fuselage demarcation and prepare the cockpit for the canopy to go on, which reminds me better paint the pilot up 

46041773671_ca5c68fa0c_b.jpg

• Like 2

Not had  the time to do the canopy frames, had a real problem with the spinner, the tip broke off under glue melting, guessing the weight of the white tack that held it in on a cocktail stick was to blame, fortunately it was in one piece as a bath of superglue and a lot of sanding saved it. Still need to add the wheels, but the upper is decal ready

45175668875_eabe8bb83f_b.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/1/2018 at 12:52 PM, trickyrich said:

you could try painting some tape then cutting it to make the frames? Way less chance of damaging the frame work and way less messy. 

Was going to try that but decided to have another go with the stick, painted the thicker main frames, and masking the thinner ones was pretty simple, also started something else at the same time, real out of the box subject for me 

44349344620_26ac0c4cf9_b.jpg

• Like 1

I love the P-40 in the 'Burma Banshee' scheme. Is this one getting a long range fuel tank? The Matchbox version had a small bomb with a spike which made it look like a fat dart! I've never done a 'Dinah' so I'm enjoying this build! All the best. Mike

1 hour ago, Ventora3300 said:

I love the P-40 in the 'Burma Banshee' scheme. Is this one getting a long range fuel tank? The Matchbox version had a small bomb with a spike which made it look like a fat dart! I've never done a 'Dinah' so I'm enjoying this build! All the best. Mike

Not getting anything for the moment dropped it, damaged the star and bars and the wing has fallen off, got replacement decals but the white no longer matches Hasegawa cream so the skull and tail no need careful painting

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Sad 1

No framing, seems it has the same problem as the p40 in that the frames aren’t raised so masking is needed, to busy to want to do it, so will wait till the rush has past, though have been working on something else in the few minutes of modelling I can fit in here and there 

32408173798_1926429517_b.jpg

• Like 1

Filler was easy to fix, stuck a blade in the offending area, it fell away and then refilled  the resulting hole carefully. Now to  the decals, was worried, the grease paper had stuck to the decal film over the years, fortunately just cut the surrounding paper off, let the decal at and slide off and have the dodgy side down and they look fine 

32499768808_8b621b4eaa_b.jpg

• Like 1